Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Small Fuel Filter Fail

NH575E ยท 2020-09-30 09:24

I have a small engine fuel filter installed on the line from my tank. The purpose was to provide early warning of contamination and to protect the large filter. The other day the machine started shutting down letting me know it was clogged. Turned out the small filter had come apart inside. My sediment bowl was half full of crud and I suspect my large filter is clogged. I have one on order. Just posting as a warning and reminder to replace the little filter before it fails.

Replies6
  1. #1Swetz2020-09-30 09:46

    NH575E, Thanks for the heads-up! I have the same setup, and was noticing it was only 1/2 full the other day, but looked clean, and the tractor runs fine. I will keep my eye on it...I hate taking those covers off tho...LOL What brand was it?

  2. #2NH575E2020-09-30 11:33

    Not sure if it was a Microgard or Wix. I replaced it with one from Autozone and I don't remember their number. I bought a couple of spares from O'Reily and they had one Microgard and one Wix in stock. The Microgard has a smaller element with metal bands on each end. The Wix is larger but just has the paper element sealed to the plastic inside so I'm thinking that might have been what was on the tractor. I did notice the element was flopping around inside when I changed it. They make a diesel version that is just a fine nylon screen but considering the small capacity and price you might as well just let the large tractor filter do it's job. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...05/6bf814fc80d2/wix-fuel-filter/33972/4833158 I think I got the large filter for $26 off eBay.

  3. #3heymccall2020-09-30 15:07

    On an inline, unless it is the only filter on there, you need to use a screen type online, like a Napa 3972. Cellulose type inline filters arent for Diesel applications. BTW, what machine? Filter layout...tank> inline> water separator> lift pump> final fuel?

  4. #4NH575E2020-09-30 15:24

    I checked with Wix and they said the only difference between the paper in the small engine filter and the regular large diesel filters is the diesel filter paper is treated to resist water. The tech said the small filter paper might clog if water is present. This was just added on to the existing system of a New Holland 575E. When I got the machine it wouldn't stay running due to rust in the system. After chasing my tail a few days and replacing hoses and filters and flushing I finally found a little glob of rust blocking the banjo fitting on the water separator inlet. Hence the addition of a small engine filter in front of the inlet fitting. My whole reason for using it was for an early detection of water or trash so I figured if water caused it to clog it was a win. I didn't figure on it coming loose and allowing the trash to bypass it but it didn't harm anything. It just made the regular filtration and water separator work as they normally would.

  5. #5heymccall2020-09-30 21:31

    For your need, the 3972 napa (5/16") or 3971 napa (1/4") are ideal. Transparent, and mesh only. Far too many times, I've been botten by an add-on inline filter that wasn't a "screen". The baldwin has both 1/4 and 5/16 capability.

  6. #6willie592020-09-30 21:47

    I agree with others, if your engine has a proper filter you just need a screen strainer to prevent heavy debris from going through the lift pump. Like heymccall mentioned, I like using the 33971 or 33972 because you can see if there's debris inside of them.