Hi I've made a few posts and now have a question! I have a 79 580C. Over time the power has been dropping down and now is considerably less than it should be. The engine was overhauled about 800-1000 hours ago. Hard to say exactly as the tachometer cable had broken some years ago. Replaced now. there are very few of, shall we say, experianced mechanics left in the area that remember this machine. Reguardless the injection pump is a recent rebuild, as well as the injectors. Ran the overhead IE: valve lash and insured propper injection timing multiple times to be sure. Blowby is minimal and the engile starts and runs pretty level. The only thing that I can think of is the torque converter. The hoe operates very well but engine dies when using the loader . A friend has a d series with a very similar drive train and his will run against a pile at almost 2100 in gear on the tach where mine drags down to about 1500 RPM. Has anyone ever heard of a converter failing in this way? :Banghead
This is a very common problem, good reading here - I also refer to another thread in the highlighted one above They are speaking of later models E & K - the convertors are same & shuttles are very similar.
Like Alrman said it is a pretty comman problems on these older hoes. The converter stall should be around 2100 rpm. If you are down to 1500 your converter is locked up and will need to be replaced. Might also take a peak at the charge pump and sump while the shuttle is out.
Thanks Goose and Alrman. After reading what you had to say I am all but convinced that is where the problem exists. I was reasonably sure before, but having read your inputs I am sure now. I was going to check the front pump when I take theconverter out anyway I I have a rebuild kit for the power shuttle still on a shelf from years ago. The wave plate/ bellville washer, Item # 12,with the fingers on it has broken inside the shuttle before and I have had to replace it and I still have most of the kit left. Again, Thank you all