Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C ring & pinion replacement

1979case580c ยท 2020-09-21 09:40

I picked up a 79 CASE 580C not long ago cheap that wouldn't move and just made a banging noise. Just pulled the floor and transaxle cover and the ring and pinion are worn to death. I'm assuming the 3k hours on the clock are probably original for these gears and they finally gave out. Any suggestions on tearing it down and replacing them I'd really appreciate. Also who to get QUALITY new parts from since I only want to do this once. Thx....Ed.

Replies5
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-09-21 09:55

    Welcome to HEF, Ed, Go here and download the service manual -----> https://www.minnpar.com/manuals5.as...LS&SSSFName=CASE 580CK MODEL C SERVICE MANUAL Dale Wiess at tractorstuff for parts. ----> http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/

  2. #2stinky642020-09-25 03:18

    If all the metal from that ring gear/ pinion is still circulating in that case you should do complete overhaul...just completed one...parts manual is crucial here,especially for ordering side gear thrust washers,mainshaft shims,and diff carrier shims....many sizes of each.......My advice is order more of every one than you think you need....I got shut down twice waiting on more shims,in fact I made one of my diff carrier shims out of roof flashing because I was done waiting....I didn,t have to replace any major gears,but all seals,bearings,washers,shims,gaskets spider gears and pins added up to about $1000.00 through tractor stuff.....oh yeah, and several boxes of rebuilding juice helps too.....

  3. #3RJM59LP2026-03-13 17:46

    I have a 1980 580c. Ring and pinion went twice over 30 years. DONT DISSASSEMBLE TRANS LIKE THE BOOK SAYS. LOWER TRANSAXLE TO GROUND. OTHEWISE YOU CANT GET BULL GEAES PAST THE FRAME CROSSMEMBER TAKE THE FRONT PPLATE OFF THE TRANS A 1 INCH PVC PIPE FITS PERFECTLY OVER THE THREADS. USING PIPE. PUSH PINION SHAFT OUT THROUGH BACK OF CASE. LEAVE PIPE IN. ITS THE MINOR DIAMETER OF THE SHAFT WHEN INSTALLING. PUT NEW SHAFT INTO PIPE AND PUSH PIPE OUT FRONT TRANSAXLE MUST BE ON GROUND. LOWER ONTO PALLET WITH JACKS OR PALLET JACK. LIFT MACHINE WITH STABILIZERS RICHIE. CELL. 908 230 1908 [email protected]

  4. #4RJM59LP2026-03-13 17:47

    Also. Parts are cheap on ebay

  5. #5nova4812026-03-13 18:06

    Check the date before you reply, some posts are old.