Found out why my seat doesn"t "pop up". No spring inside. I found a post on here where someone had ordered a replacement from Mcmaster-Carr, but I can't seem to find anything like it on their website. Anybody have a p/n for them?
I took a look in my files, and I was able to find it. McMaster Carr # 9662K35 This is what I used on my 580 ck. I don't know if the 580 c has the same seat and post setup. they show different part numbers. d84284 for the 580 C and d38257 for the CK Mcmaster carr has the specs for this spring when you enter the part number. I just took a guess when I ordered mine, and it worked well. I only paid $5.09 for mine. There are several others that they have on their page 1222. http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1222/=fu73sa Dan
Now this is a good thread )) I put an old spring in my seat frame "it was not long enough". So if order one and it works good I REALLY would like to know the number. Thanks, Paul Kingsbury
If I look in the parts manual, it shows a retaining ring (#3 pg 498). It looks like a "C" ring that fits in a groove in the bottom of the seat mounting. I don't find a groove for it on mine, too much wear I guess. How did you keep your seat from popping all the way out?
On mine the spring is just strong enough to get it to the right height. I had planned if it would push it too high i'd just cut coils off the spring untill it didn't pop out. The 36" spring worked out to be just the right height. My big reason to get the spring was because it was aquard and heavy to lift the seat by hand. Dan
Good post. After reading this post, I immediately ordered me a spring. Now waiting for package to arrive. Thanks folks.
Kudos to Mcmaster Carr. Ordered the spring on Monday, got here on Wed via UPS. Only $6.50 shipping
TheOldMan, my order was even better. I ordered my spring yesterday and received it today. I don't know the shipping costs yet (shipped via Fed Ex ground). During my working years, I used to order from Mcmaster Carr big book, but never online or as an individual. It was very easy to set up an account; nice web navigation with what seems like decent prices. Thanks to member drinderer for the information. Now my next challenge is to get this big snake of a spring installed. If you happen to see a big fat boy riding what appears to be a 580c seat in the sky over Northern Fla., that may be me!
GWS said to install a small pipe or piece of ready rod to keep the spring in place. I think if you turn the seat mount upside down and remove the lower plate, you can install the spring, slide a rod thru the hole in the lower plate and push it all together. Gotta be easier than using the 5' spring. The bottom of the upper half on mine is worn off til there is nowhere to install a keeper, so I made a washer that will fit over the spring and down inside the outer pipe. Gonna tack weld it on so the seat doesn't inadvertently jump out of the mount.
I put spring in bottom tube, then I laid my seat sideways on the fender, next I put the end of the spring sticking out, into the seat tube, next I aligned the the two tubes and let the weight of the seat collasp the spring and lower the seat into position. Thats all to it.