I have a 580c that is leaking oil. It seems to be coming from the torque converter area. The weird part is that it only seems to leak when the shuttle oil is warm. When it reaches above 120 degrees. The hotter it gets (harder I use it) the faster it leaks. Let it idle and cool down and it all but stops. Looking for some in site as to what can cause it. I am also guessing that the oil is coming from the seal for the converter. Oil level is in the normal range.
The only thing you can check without removing the shuttle, is the drain plug on the convertor. If & when you pull the shuttle you will replace the front seal at the charge pump. Look closely at the spout on the convertor, if there are any corrugations / markings you may need to have it repaired. Another thing to look for is cracking of any welds on the convertor, in particular around the four square nuts that the flexplate bolts to.
Do you think that it could have anything to do with the breather, and pressure building up in the shuttle causing it to leak when hot? I just don't want to change the seal if that is where it is coming from for it to leak again. Thanks for the help!
I guess it is possible ..... just give the cap a little twist & see what happens next time you use it. I've never known a breather to plug up on a shuttle, but anything could happen, if it had enough dirt around it.