Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555C backhoe won’t move.

Nick381 ยท 2013-11-23 18:29

I was clearing my property today and my backhoe stopped moving suddenly. I had just shifted the shuttle to reverse. It moved in reverse for about 5 feet & just stopped like I had pressed the clutch disconnect switch. The fluids look good. I lifted the tractor with the stabilizers & front loader. The wheels don't move in any gear forward or reverse with wheels off the ground. It seems electrical. I also found a switch on the rear differential that had just been broken by a sappling. A light came on on the dash that looks like low oil or something. I think it could be related. Any ideas of where I should start? Thanks for the help in advance.

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2013-11-23 19:04

    Fuses? but if breaking the switch blew a fuse then the light probably wouldn't be on? Maybe the same sapling popped loose something else important down there? The warning light wouldn't shut down the drivetrain and warning lights are typically a switch that grounds the signal wire, so unless the wire was stripped and grounded the light shouldn't come on from the switch getting broken off. How about a picture of the broken switch? or how many wires lead to it? And check for any other scuffed up linkages etc.

  2. #2Nick3812013-11-23 19:54

    All fuses are o.k. There are 2 wires going to the switch in question. The switch says it is a pressure switch 60 psi. Sorry, I'm not able get a picture at this time. Thanks for your help.

  3. #3Delmer2013-11-23 21:34

    Gotcha, that makes more sense. I wouldn't risk trying to jumper it even to test it. Just get the new switch (or patch the old one back together?), if you can read the numbers or name on the switch you might find one cheaper or more convenient online, most likely Ford didn't make that switch.

  4. #4alrman2013-11-23 21:48

    Just some more to check. Make sure the wires (39) at the transmission control valve (30) are OK. Do they have power when in fwd or rev? If not, check FNR controller for power & then back to dash / fuse box for supply. Keep safe! Just in case it decides to drive while you are testing things......

  5. #5willie592013-11-23 22:42

    That's an interesting diagram alrman. I haven't worked on a 555C, looks like it has a rather simple dual solenoid valve (item 30) to control fwd/rev. As you stated, be sure and be safe so machine doesn't take a notion to run over you while testing, but just curious, reckon a person could put power and ground jumpers to either solenoid just to verify fwd/rev shuttle works?

  6. #6Nick3812013-11-26 07:08

    After checking a few things that you guys recommended, I found a wire had come loose underneath the boot for the gear selector lever. I plugged it in and everything resumed normal operation. Thanks for all the help.

  7. #7Gavin C Wilson2021-08-11 09:02

    I need help with ford 555c it won't move some wires got ripped out i can't find diagrams on it