Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Shuttle question

outlawspeeder ยท 2020-11-04 08:13

I just got done wiring some of the 580C. Before this nothing powered was working. i.e. to start it was a jumper switch on the starter. I reinstalled a floor switch, wired in the switch on the dash,... Without it running I can step on the brake (switch on dash closed) or the switch on the floor and I can hear the solenoid. The problem is when it is running and moving, the clutch does not disengage when I step on the brake or the floor switch. Where do I start? Shifting works great but I think it is slipping a little. Not sure, 1st time owning/operating a 580.

Replies12
  1. #1alrman2020-11-06 16:53

    Since the electric solenoid has not been working for some time, there is an internal dump valve located inside the control spool - it will be stuck. You may need to remove the control spool & dismantle it to free the dump valve.

  2. #2franklin22020-11-07 09:18

    My 480c has a oil leak in that area. I read up on it, to replace the o-ring I too would have to pull the spool valve out to get to it. The manual says there is not enough room between the frame and the shuttle to pull the valve out, you have to loosen all the bolts on the shuttle and turn the whole thing at a angle to pull the spool out. Too big of a project for me, so I am letting it leak. One day I might pull the whole shuttle out and give it a rebuild.

  3. #3alrman2020-11-07 16:26

    I have resealed many leaking control valves over the years, which would have included 580C's, but not too many 480C's (which aren't too much different chassis wise) - I can't ever recall having trouble pulling any out of the housing. But, who's going to argue with a service manual?

  4. #4Vetech632020-11-07 16:48

    I have found that service manuals lie. LOL

  5. #5franklin22020-11-11 09:15

    Possibly the 480c has a narrower frame? If that valve has any length to it, it's going to be close using the eyeball method.

  6. #6Vetech632020-11-11 17:02

    Well my wife was close using the eyeball test, turns out I batted above my average!

  7. #7JL Sargent2020-11-11 21:38

    Based on that profile picture, you definitely out kicked the coverage!

  8. #8mitch5042020-11-11 22:16

    I dunno JL, I don't really see Vetech as having a narrow frame, do you?

  9. #9JL Sargent2020-11-12 07:02

    Too many beers.

  10. #10Vetech632020-11-12 07:16

    Hey! You guys calling me fat!?

  11. #11stinky642020-11-13 02:02

    just well hydrated

  12. #12outlawspeeder2020-11-16 00:43

    I took the 580 down the hill. Its about 12% down to the bottoms. I ran it for two hours without a problem. When I was done pulling crap out of the ditch, I found the steering not working. Blown hyd line. $25 to fix that but the best part.... It made up up the hill telling me that the shuttle clutches are good. Using differential braking worked too. I still need to figure out why the solenoid is not disengaging the clutch. I pulled 1400# of tires, metal, and crap out of the ditch. Cost me $20 to get rid of the tires but made $30 taking it in for recycling.