Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1400B Transmission question

popps ยท 2020-11-03 01:05

I have a 1987 1400b with the 72 borg warner trans in it im assuming (not sure). There is no oil filter on the side. So now that I have figured out. that it takes 10w hyd oil does the level get checked running or stopped? Is there a way to drain the torque converter, I'm thinking of pulling the return cooling line, starting it, and letting it flow.

Replies5
  1. #1skata2020-11-03 17:46

    On newer jcb you check with engine off. Not sure about the borg warner. But from a quick search, it should be checked off. See if this is your trans. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.tadiesels.com/assets/docs/tech/Borg_Warner_71C-72C_&_V-Drive_Marine_Transmission_Owners_Manual_0001.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiK0qjuuOfsAhUGWs0KHT1wBBAQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3TXmcOrq547o8JoAHvID7_ If that link don't work. Search ="72 borg warner fluid level" and check first result for a manual.

  2. #2popps2020-11-04 04:16

    Thank you I'll have to do some more checking on it and see if I can find an ID tag on the trans to make sure of what I have. The pdf's I have all show the trans with a filter on it, just not mine.

  3. #3popps2020-11-10 06:12

    Ok so I have pulled the trans cooling lines off and started it up. I found the bottom line is the pressure out to the cooler so I filled with cheaper trans fluid to flush out the trans and converter. and then dropped the pan and cleaned the screen. Fwd and reverse seems ok now so I may drain it again and put the jcb fluid in.

  4. #4hookedondiesel2020-11-25 13:38

    There should be a drain plug on the torque converter. Have someone bump the starter while your underneath, to locate it. Use all safety precautions when doing so.

  5. #5popps2020-11-26 09:19

    ya I looked around but there is no space or hole in the bell housing on the bottom, even if there was a drain plug. the bell housing just covers the whole bottom of it. After flushing it seems to be good, i had some water mixed in the trans. Flushing while running did a good job of clearing it all out. Now I just have to weld a hay spear mount on the bucket.