I have a 580c that has some problems with starting and idling. I have had the fuel pump rebuilt less than three years ago. It ran great, but has sat for the last few months . It has had some difficulty in starting and idling when I parked it. The shut off pull knob has to be pulled all teh way out to shut off, and must be in all the way to fire off. However, it has always been that way. I thought maybe it was due to bad fuel, so I changed the fuel filters, and drained the tank. I refilled with fresh fuel before sending the fuel through new filters. Before I drained the fuel and replaced the filters, it would fire up, but response time was about a 10 second delay before the engine would respond to the throttle in both acceleration and decelleration. I had to ease into the throttle very slowly. After replacement of fuel and fuel filters, response time was slowly getting better, after 10 to 15 minutes, response time was about 1 second delay. The next day, I couldn't get the engine to light off. It cranks just fine. It's almost as if the pull shut off might not be in all the way, but I have double and triple checked that it is in all the way. Is it common to have to reset fuel pump timing after it has been used a while, or do I have some other issue? Any ideas?
Sounds like something is blocking the fuel line. Possibly a strainer in the tank.
most of the problems such as this with older tractors are directly related to the sorry syrupy fuel being sold. left sit for awhile the stuff gums pumps injectors and very close tolerance parts to the point they can`t move
Better check your tank for crud and your filters. Tom
You said u checked the shut/off.. did you make sure the shut off LEVER ON THE PUMP was going all the way to run/stop.?? THATS WHATS COMMON.. the cable slipping in the gizmo.. Its in a very tight space & extremely hard to get a wrench back there.. IF its a Roosa Master/Stanadyne pump.. IF its a CAV/Delphi the stop on the pump is easy to see & adjust.. You said it was rebuilt about 3 years ago.. How much use has it gotten in those 3 years?? every day, once a month.. once a year?? Its not uncommon for the fuel to gum up inside the pump.. especially when you stated it got "better" after the fuel & filter change.. When you shut it down the last time.. did you pull the cable & leave it pulled?? & had to push it BACK IN before you tried to start it.?? {probably} The metering valve inside the pump is stuck in the shut-off position.. Its not a big deal & you wont have to remove the pump inorder to fix it..