Hi I'm looking at replacing the steering valve and main hydraulic pump on my 77 580C. I'm told this is quite an undertaking, but I'm an auto mechanic by trade, so nothings impossible, right? I just want to have to do this once, so any helpful hints on either subject would be AWESOME! thanks!
The main hydraulic pump is a piece of cake once the radiator is removed. Don't know about the valve. If you don't have the manuals, PM me for a copy.
I have a parts manual, but not a service manual...I have the pump ready to come out and left the radiators in...Just need to get big enough wrenches for the output side of the pump...Next will be the steering valve...
Iyou PM me with a snail mail address, I'll send you all 3 manuals on CD.
Thanks! I don't know how to PM but I'll give you my junk email and keep an eye out for a message: [email protected]
Welcome to HEF natesford! Can you tell us why you are wanting to change the steering valve? Leaking? Hard steering? Keep spinning wheel to drive straight? Is it with a new one or second hand? The reason I ask is that it may not be the problem that you are trying to fix & you will have grieved yourself for nothing .....
Ok, so the story goes, I get this 77 580C Backhoe and I drive it home (only a few miles) and on the straight aways, the tractor would randomly turn left. If I keep moving the wheel back and forth, the steering stays predictable. Thought maybe this could be an internal leak in the left steering cylinder (and still haven't ruled that out), but we also have a visible leak coming from what appears to be the top of the valve, and are noticing oil accumulating on the floorboard at the base of the steering shaft...sometimes when cold, it will leak as much as 6 or 8 ounces in a stream, then taper off to a drip as things warm up...
From what you are describing you need to reseal the steering cylinders first - genuine kits (D148100) are around $25 ea. The shaft seal on the orbital valve can easily be replaced - use a A47038 seal kit - a little over $30. This can be done without removing the valve ........ if you can get the steering wheel off
:thumbsup Sounds like a good idea, I think we're going to give that a try, cylinders are relatively easy anyhow. Thanks, will update when I have finished the repairs! :thumbsup
Try this link they helped me when I was rebuilding my steering cylinder
Status update: Finally just got the Hydraulic pump installed, and leak-checked after about 40minute break-in period. Sure is a disadvantage being in a smaller town, gathering parts and expertise can be a challenge, but after having to return a pump, outlet fitting, and filter, I think it's a success! We're really feeling crunch time with ground prep still needing to be done and the weather bearing down, so I think we're holding-off on the steering issue until we have the time to let the equipment rest. Thanks for all the help and advice! -Nate