Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310D stuck in gear

TravellingTec ยท 2012-09-09 18:55

JD 310D stuck in first gear. Tried to bar it out. The shifter assembly looks like it will come off the top of the transmission but the heater box of the cab is running interference with the back bolt. What's the next step, tks.

Replies22
  1. #1Deon2012-09-09 21:24

    I don't have your answer but you may want to post the last 6 digits of your serial number as the transmission layout has changed from the early 310D to the later ones. That could help who ever can help you. Good luck.

  2. #2willie592012-09-09 22:01

    You'll most likely have to remove the top cover to get an idea of what's causing the problem.

  3. #3Deere John2012-09-10 05:45

    Give member Dominion 410 a pm as he had this happen to his 310D about 15 years ago. John

  4. #4TravellingTec2012-09-10 06:58

    Last 6 digits of serial # -- 21478

  5. #5equip guy2012-09-10 22:33

    Had this happen to my 310d about two years ago. I lifted up the rubber floor, removed floor plate, removed shifter assy, and basicly took a long handled pry bar and brought shifter mechanism back to neutral. So when you look at the two shifter plates, the wide groove is in alignment with other at the neutral position. It didnt take much effort to bring back to center, it was just in a spot where the shift fork didnt allow to center. Hope this helps. Make sure you remove any grease and or dirt from the top of trans before you open it up, or you will have bigger problems. Good luck

  6. #6TOM V2012-09-11 08:19

    Here is some info that will help. Good luck.

  7. #7TravellingTec2012-09-11 08:45

    Tom. I made a mistake with serial #. Shud be 821478 so your info helps. Thanks

  8. #8excavator2015-02-17 14:26

    I have a customer with a 310C that the transmission is beginning to get stuck in gear. Looking at the DTAC printout that Tom V posted with the new shifter part number, I'm wondering if anyone has installed the new shifter and if so, did that cure the problem? Reading through the DTAC it almost sounds like the update did not fully fix the problem on the C series. About half way down the page it reads, " The T136072 came into production at machine serial number 777287 but it was found that the revisions made to the shifter did not fully eliminate the problem." I'm thinking that the part number T136072 is a typo since that number is not a good number.

  9. #9Delmer2015-02-17 18:36

    My reading of the second to the last paragraph of the first page is that number T136072 was discontinued/"scrapped", and updated with T154487

  10. #10Benjam332016-04-28 18:47

    Not sure if this thread is still active but were you (traveling Tec) able to get your transmission un-stuck? I'm having the same issue with 96 310D and I can't budge the shift forks. I removed the shift tower and tried to use a big prybar, but neither fork will move. I am posting a pic of what the forks look like. Any ideas on what to try next. I have removed the seat and blower assembly so removing the top plate of transaxle is more accessible but don't want to do if not necessary.

  11. #11Delmer2016-04-28 21:54

    I've never seen this on a Deere, I'm only going by Tom's post #7 above. Do you remember the shift that went wrong? It sounds like the interlock jams when it's shifted hard or with too much side force on the shifter. If you can't budge it with a pry bar, try two pry bars, one on each side and tap alternate directions, every which way, a little harder until it comes loose or you fear making it worse. My understanding is the shift lever is the only part to replace to update it, even that's not needed if you're careful with the shift pattern.

  12. #12Billrog2016-04-28 21:58

    Would it be to any advantage to lift the back wheels off the ground and have some one turn one back and forth a bit while you try and free the forks. I've never dealt a tractor stuck between gears but just used a large screw driver on a couple dump trucks that got stuck & it was very easy. Unfortunately I can't remember if I had to stick the driver down and move a gear first or not. Sorry my post has no positive solution I'm just winging it here and going to be watching to see how you make out best of luck.

  13. #13Benjam332016-04-29 09:38

    Thanks for the reply Delmer. It apparently doesn't happen very much on a Deere. Judging by the lack of info on the net, apparently it's not a common prob. I haven't tried moving the forks with two pry bars but will do so today. Also your suggestion Billrog, when I raise both back wheels off ground, I can spin one tire and the other rotates in the opposite direction but doesn't have any effect on the shifter, but it's worth trying again with two pry bars. I don't know the gear it was in because I'm not the one that got it stuck. I will keep you posted on how it works out. Thanks again.

  14. #14grandpa Marc2016-04-29 10:48

    Hi guys,I am Grandpa Marc and just joined the forum.Ironicaly this is the first tread I looked at and I It am having the same problem with my 1970 ford 3500 backhoe. it also is getting stuck in gear and I can't move the stick. I am also able to move the wheels off the ground.I am thinking ,considering age and wear, that the shift stick may be worn and coming out of the slots it is going into and not letting the fork push the gear all the way into position.I can put mine into 2/4 and nutural but it won't go into first most of the time.Then when it will go in I can't get it back out.The only thing I can think of is the possibility of the worn shift stick or something else is worn.All the gears look very good. If the gear is not going all the way in I would think it could get stuck with another gear.Any other thoughts about this problem?Best regards,grandpa Marc

  15. #15Benjam332016-05-05 13:20

    Hello everyone, It finally stopped raining down here so I decided to get back at it. I was able to get the transmission out of the stuck gear. I had to get pretty righteous with a 4ft crowbar and now the gear box will allow the shifter to go into all 4 gears. The problem is I still have the same issue going on. With the shifter in neutral the tractor still will not roll. When gearbox is in neutral and engine running when I move the reverser lever into forward or reverse I can tell the driveshaft coming out the rear of the reverser tries to roatate but gets stuck. It would seem on the surface I have a deeper issue going on in the transaxle? I'm not sure what my next move needs to be. The parking brake seems to be releasing. The lever moves and light goes off when the switch is flipped. Any thoughts on what could be the issue. I have thought about removing the short driveshaft behind the reverser and making sure it is in fact trying to turn ...?

  16. #16lantraxco2016-05-05 13:30

    You may have broken something in the gearbox and it's stuck in two gears or a piece of a shift fork is jammed up in the gears?

  17. #17Benjam332016-05-12 22:39

    Ok thought I would do an update on the transmission on my 310d. Haven't had a lot of time to work on it but have been in the process of trying to rule out potential problems. I removed the shaft coming out of the reverser and with engine running the reverser works in both forward and reverse. So I pretty much decided that the prob was in the gearbox or axles/pinion assembly and so I started the tear down. After removing the top cover on tranny everything looked great. No metal flakes, clean oil, no obvious broken pieces. I removed the transmission drive shaft and that's when I discovered that 3rd gear is seized on the shaft. Haven't removed the transaxle shaft to check those gears but with the rear wheels off the ground I can finally get the pinion assembly to turn and both back tires rotate as they should. Next step will be to take apart the shaft to investigate why the gear is seized. It's my understanding that the gear rides on a bushing so that may be the issue. I'll try to post some pics when I figure it out.

  18. #18Deon2016-05-13 07:57

    Benjam33, thanks for the update. I'm really interested in the end result on this one. Hope you can repair with minimal cost and time. It's never a good feeling to have a nice machine like that that doesn't work.

  19. #19Benjam332016-05-14 11:40

    The picture shows the bushing that's under 3rd gear. It is pretty scarred up and hence the reason the gear was frozen on the shaft. Will post more later.

  20. #20Benjam332016-11-20 01:41

    Resolution Deon, This response is per your request (and others) to share my experiences with this transmission issue. I had to table this job for the last six months because of other commitments that kept us busy during the summer. I ended up pulling the entire transmission/transaxle assembly out of the backhoe and discovered that the transaxle drive shaft and the transmission shaft were both a mess. The bushings on the transaxle shaft were practically welded to the shaft. I had to get the shaft machined and replaced the bushings. Then pressed the shaft/synchronizer assembly back into the tranny case (Not a fun job) and reassembled the rest of the transmission. The cause of the failure was most likely the parking brake band. It had disentegrated and the material was everywhere inside the case. I did not replace this band as it apparently is a common failure and the machine works great w/o it. It was a pretty big job but I saved alot by doing all the work myself. I did replace one of the synchronizers because it had a cracked ring, but the bushings were cheap and the machine work was very reasonable. I purchased the maintenance manual and it is fairly easy to follow as it is written well. JD does recommend the purchase of a couple specialty tools, however I was able to rebuild the tranny w/o them with no problem at all. The tractor runs great and now shifts into all gears. This job is definitely not for the faint of heart but at the same time it is very doable. I am not a heavy equipment mechanic, but if you are fairly handy I would recommend it. I read through these forums and got some good advice from other members who have had similar experiences. I now have a rebuilt tranny and also a very good understanding of how it all works.

  21. #21Billrog2016-11-20 11:12

    Good for you Benjam nice to hear your up and running :thumbsup.

  22. #22Deon2016-11-27 07:15

    Benjamin 33, Thanks for the update. That sounds like a big job but you should be proud of your accomplishment. So as I understand, you no longer have a working park brake.