Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c stuck in gear

Wayne knight · 2022-06-02 22:02

Hello everyone in new to the site, backhoes I recently got ahold of a 78 case 580c-k Guy who drove it last (10 yes ago) said when he was driving it he had to force it into gear an he sheared a pin, ear off the shuttle cover. So it’s stuck in gear with shuttle cover off for many years and I need to get it out of gear to be able to have it loaded onto trailer to get it home. Also only runs on starting fluid so need to clean all fuel parts up. Can anyone tell me how to get it out of gear to move it ?

Replies28
  1. #1RDC_580C2022-06-03 00:10

    Last pic there, the second thing from the left is one of the two shift collars. You need to slide that one to the right a little bit. Not too far or it will lock into another gear, just up to the synchronizer (brass gear) there and then the trans should be in Neutral. You may need to rock the machine a bit if it doesn't move freely as it could be bound up from things being turned a bit putting pressure on them. If it's still stuck in gear after that, you'll need to move the other shift collar to it's center position, and that one is right in the middle of that shaft, kind of buried in there but you can see it in the pic. Watch out for stuck brakes as well once you have the Trans in Neutral.

  2. #2Wayne knight2022-06-03 09:54

    Thanks for the info I will give that a try. Also I forgot got to mention that the driveshaft has been removed.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-06-03 09:54

    Welcome to HEF, Wayne ! Assuming the broken pieces are still down in the transmission somewhere you may need to be concerned about one of them causing damage when moving the machine. Ooops you and I were typing at the same time. Do you have a service manual for it ?

  4. #4Wayne knight2022-06-03 10:14

    I was able to pull drain plug and fish out all the pieces that seem to be missing off the cover and the sheared pin. The tow company I have coming to haul it are charging me $100 a hour to move it 5 miles to my house so I’m trying to get it to roll to save them sometime and me some money.

  5. #5joe--h2022-06-03 10:56

    If the drive shaft is out it will roll no matter what gear it's in.

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-06-03 11:12

    Quite true, Joe. I was thinking that if the engine was running to operate the hydraulics it may be a problem. I sure hope all of the pieces are accounted for when he fished them out.

  7. #7RDC_580C2022-06-03 11:29

    Not gonna roll if it's in 2 gears though.

  8. #8Wayne knight2022-06-03 13:46

    Thanks for all the info guys I believe I have found all the broken pieces by matching them up with what’s broken on the cover, pins missing. Tow company says they can 100,000 lbs but fingers crossed it works. I was able to crank engine and lift bucket, back hoe up to lock it down. Was all able to get front wheels to turn by cranking it over.

  9. #9Tinkerer2022-06-03 14:53

    Wayne said he took the driveshaft off. That would have to be the front wheel drive. I thought that was an indication they were going to tow the tractor with rear end suspended or on a dolly.

  10. #10RDC_580C2022-06-03 16:12

    580C is 2wd. Driveshaft is from the Shuttle to the Transaxle. If it was going to be towed with the rear wheels off the ground would be no need to get it in Neutral.

  11. #11Wayne knight2022-06-03 18:16

    Tow company is brining a low boy equipment trailer, huge truck ? Yes it is 2 wd

  12. #12joe--h2022-06-03 19:36

    First picture is 2WD. Probably gonna need a starter after all that cranking. Joe H

  13. #13Tinkerer2022-06-03 19:38

    The second line in Wayne's opening post says 580C-K. That is what threw me off the fact he has a 580CK. Sorry for the confusion. Wayne, a low boy is low deck trailer pulled behind a semi tractor. There is no better way to move a disabled T/L/B. IMHO of course

  14. #14melben2022-06-03 21:33

    My advice to you is to quit running it on starting fluid, if the fuel pump is not delivering fuel and it don't start you will break the ring lands on the pistons'.make very sure you have fuel to the injectors before using starting fluid,, A friend of mine destroyed a Kubota in a Gehl skid steer doing just what you are doing, by the time he called me in on it it did not have even enough compression to lock up on starting fluid.

  15. #15Wayne knight2022-06-03 22:49

    Yes I agree only tried it once to make sure it wasnt locked up. Ordered new injectors, injector pump rebuild kit and all filters.

  16. #16Wayne knight2022-06-03 23:00

    Tinkerer not to sure about the 580ck however I looked up the serial number and it said 1976 580c-k ? All I really know is that it is definitely 2wd. Just wanna get it home so I can stop trying to get it going in a field. At least at home I have access to all my tools rather than what I can carry in back of my truck.

  17. #17alrman2022-06-04 02:04

    The above pictures show a 2wd 580C @Wayne knight stop using the k & the confusion will also stop To be precise it's a 580C Construction King as are all Case hoes from early CK to K ..... but who calls them that?

  18. #18Wayne knight2022-06-04 19:32

    Thanks for all the info fellas It should home monday

  19. #19joe--h2022-06-08 12:03

    Is it home? Joe H

  20. #20Wayne knight2022-06-08 13:58

    Yes finally got it home. Installed new injectors, fuel rail seals but still won’t start. Gonna order rebuild kit for injector pump and see if that works.

  21. #21Tinkerer2022-06-08 15:48

    Did you bleed the air out of the fuel system all the way to the injectors until all air bubbles are gone and pure clean fuel is coming out, at all of the loose nuts on the injectors ???

  22. #22Wayne knight2022-06-08 20:37

    I did bleed the filters, pump but did not bleed at the injector rail nuts. I will try that before ordering any more parts. Thanks for the pointer

  23. #23Spiderman742024-12-05 14:02

    Had same problem stuck in 2nd gear finally got cover off the springs and balls was bad fix them put back on shift 1st and 2nd but will not shift 3rd and 4th took back off try to move the synchronizer put alot of pressure and still wouldn't move figure the keys in the synchronizer hung up but if have to replace synchronizer can i replacement without remove transaxle and differenial from backhoe

  24. #24Tinkerer2024-12-05 15:06

    When you had the top (gearshift assembly) did the lever move both rails back and forth easily ? The mainshaft has to come out the front of the transaxle after the front cover is removed. Do you have the service manual ?

  25. #25Spiderman742024-12-05 17:34

    lever just moved one level the other one wouldn't I pry on the synchronzier trying to get to move. No service manual but was told comes out front but had to hammer on the rear of shaft through the rear of case which you can't get too without taking whole assembly out.

  26. #26Tinkerer2024-12-06 08:06

    Take a lot of pictures while you start taking everything apart. It eliminates doubt when reassembling it. The parts book will be invaluable to see how and what is lined up. If the synchronizer is bound up, look for pieces in the bottom of the case.

  27. #27Spiderman742024-12-13 21:10

    Finally got the transaxle/differential and remove synchronizer thing it will be ok after cleaned and oil up. Thanks for you help, by the way would you know what bearing set for bearing in the brake backing plate and bearing for each end of top shaft in transaxle got the bearing and race or cup and cone number but can't find them as a set here number. A2997/A29977-G10424/G10425 and A26744/A30114.

  28. #28stinky642024-12-14 09:06

    Consulting receipt from Tractorstuff when I did mine-G10424/G10425 crossed to 47934357 kit, but other two sets were bought individually. Sadly don't think Tractorstuff still in business. Also make sure to check shims #11 in the parts book which come in 6 thicknesses which live either side of side gears especially left side which wears more due to side thrust, mine was broken. Also shims#29 yoke end of main shaft. May also need bearing carrier shims#27 if replacing bearing/cup set. Didn't post part #'s because all three shims come in multiple thicknesses. Had to replace when did mine and had wait on parts. Good luck.