I just got on my 580c and the shifter just started to be able to turn in every direction ,so I pulled up on it and it pulled rite out, the shifter rite out of the housing. looks like it has a pin throught it that sheared. I took all 4 bolts out of the cover and figured it would just come up and out easy but it doesn't. I haven't put much pressure on it, Should I? is there a trick to it? I definatly don't want to have to go deep in the transaxle so I need to know what to do so I do not have to,Please.
should pop right off it might be sealed with a gasket maker or something thats whats holding it down. Use a rubber mallet and tap around it to break it free
If all of the parking brake parts are there, you'll need to loosen or remove that bracket first. One bolt goes thru it and the shifter cover (bottom right of the 4 if looking down from seat position) the other one is on the transaxle cover under the rod, and may or may not come all the way out. After that the shifter cover should come straight up, though like xgiovannix12 said it's most likely been sealed up with gasket maker years ago, but it'll come off there once that bracket is clear and you break the seal.
IIRC you can repair that without removing the cover, under the rubber there is a snap ring and a retaining washer that will let you get the ball out that the pin holds, replace the part on the shift lever and install the new pin, make sure the square engages the ball slot and reinstall the retainer and snap ring
Thanks for the replies. I finally got the shifter cover off. the shifter pulled all the way out and I couldn't get it in the rite spot to go all the way back in but I kept moving the gears settings around and I'm guessing I got it in neutral and it came rite up easy. when in gear it will not come out. I did see after getting the crud off it how to fix the sheared pin in the shifter rod and got it back together. I was starting to get a little worried,it took like 20 minuets moveing the gears around to get the rite spot,thought I may have made a mess in there.Thank you Jesus.
It is quite unlikely that you "made a mess in there". It is nearly impossible to reinsert the shift lever into the fork rails unless the transmission is in neutral. It is common practice to use a short bar to realign the rails to the neutral position. Do as melben advised. Replace the rubber boot unless it is in really good condition.