i've got a 580C, shuttle shift. there is a hole right in the middle of the floor with a HEX shaped shaft in it. according to the manuals I have that hole in the floor is where you check the trans fluid, but my dip stick for that comes out over on the starter side of the engine.(even parts manual shows this...) I couldnt find anywhere in the operators or service or parts manuals showing a HEX shaped shaft there. thanks for any info on this
The power shuttle is for forward and reverse. The 4 speed transmission is part of a transaxle assembly. That hex shaped shaft is the dipstick for the transaxle. I tried to link directly to the transaxle housing page, but for some reason it's not working. This link works to the menu that has the function groups. (06) is the power train, and within that, the last one, (218) is the "Transmission Housing, Transaxle." You're looking at part #27. http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49912ag42698
awesome, thanks for the info, I thought it would be better to ask before I just started to move it around and mess something up.. the photo in my operators manual shows the guy pulling a standard loop style dipstick out of the hole.
Happy to help. My 580C is long gone (and fondly remembered), but I knew as soon as you asked that that was what you were looking at.
Thank you. So far I love this machine, its my first backhoe and I got it to work the property I bought. Its got a few issues to iron out but runs like a mule.