wel I just purchased a new to me 66 580 ck.Runs like a top , but all the wiring has been cut , and it has what I believe is an alternator , but not Hooked up.can someone help me figure out the alternator, want to charge battery, and where one can get a service manual.thanks for letting me join
I may have a pdf for that machine will have to look . I converted my old case dozer to a single terminal alt i have 1800 hours still working good . I dont know how easy that would be for you. I had to make brackets being mine was a generator!
I’m a welder fabricator, won’t be hard
is your 580 gas or diesel i have a complete shop manual on hand
Diesel
All the wiring was likely cut out for a good reason - it was junk by then. I converted my CK over to a GM alternator with the built-in regulator back in 1981 or so. Pretty sure mine was two terminals. I don't remember making brackets either - but may have - that was a while ago. I think there is more than one way - maybe it depends on which alternator you use. Some wire theirs through a dash light as a key activated source of power for the exciter - one with a diode as I recall so it will shut off with the key as well without back feeding power to the ignition. There are posts on here somewhere. My wiring was junk like yours so I was running all new wires. I just wired in a toggle switch for the exciter in between the battery and the #1 terminal on the alternator [I think] and another from the alternator to the battery for charging - as far as I recall at this hour. I'd have to go out and look to be sure. In any case, it was no big deal and it has worked flawlessly ever since so don't sweat it. If you don't find the posts that explain it more clearly, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon. If you wire in the toggle switch, you have to turn it on to get the battery to charge and turn it off when you shut the key off so it doesn't drain the battery by keeping the exciter energized. You could probably put in an amp gauge and wire it through that so it just works with the key. My CK is gas so keep that in mind. Thanks for reminding me petepilot. If you google: case 580ck backhoe service manual free download
The "580K won't shut off" thread explains the concepts involved but the 580K has an electric solenoid to shut off the fuel flow to the pump where yours is manual.