Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580CK

mopar ยท 2019-01-21 19:04

recently purchased a 1971 580 CK with a seized diesel engine. now have the engine out so I can deal with it. so my question is being as I have no knowledge of its history, and it has a torque and shuttle shift, is it possible to check these out with no motor? I will better clean the trans and rear end, but so far see no issues there. am new to the forum, thanks for any replies

Replies4
  1. #1Dwol2019-01-23 19:46

    I am not sure if you have better access with the engine out or not, but there is a known issue with the trans hydraulic pickup tube getting plugged up. It is a good thing to check and clean if you are already into the machine. If it were me, I would be tempted to rebuild the transmission/clutch pack as well. If it is bad, it would require the same removal of the engine to access. Good luck!!

  2. #2Tinkerer2019-01-23 20:33

    Welcome to HEF, mopar !! Concentrate on one thing at a time. Get the engine up and running, then start dealing with any issues in the drive-line. If there are any.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2019-01-23 22:13

    If you want to do something while engine is down and waiting on parts or whatever, remove shuttle filter up in front of radiator and see if there are any metal flakes of brass or aluminum, there will a small amount and that's ok but a lot well that's not good. Check the oil in torque tube and see if it's good. Also check the transaxle oil and see if there is any water in it the four speed shifter boot is bad about letting water into housing.

  4. #4mopar2019-01-23 22:45

    yes I am waiting on a reply about another engine,but will continue to try get this one apart. want to check sumps as you say and then clean all. noticed looks like oil levels were low. thanks for the info. looks like will be a long project.