Hello I have another question for anybody that can answer it. I am looking at a 1972 ** 50A Backhoe with the Perkins 3.3 Diesel. Will the oil pan come off without breaking the engine apart. I think it will, but need to know before I buy it. Any help is always greatly appreciated.
What makes you think it will? Is this the same backhoe as the pic in the other thread? Is the oil pan and block stressed? that is, carrying the weight of the tractor if you remove the loader. I'm thinking the oil seal retainer has to come off from behind, so that would involve a significant amount of work, plus the front cover might be involved.
No this is a different backhoe. This is a MF50A. The other backhoe ended having to go through probate estate and was going to take a year before it would be available. The reason I am asking is I may have to do a sleeve and piston replacement and if the oil pan will come off I could do it(I believe) without pulling the engine out. The engine was supposedly completely rebuilt with new sleeves pistons, head etc a couple years ago, but after 10 hours the head gasket started bubbling fluid out(as the owner stated). The current owner thinks the guy who did the job took him to the cleaners and did not really do anything but paint the engine. The company disappeared right after doing the job so he couldn't go back to them. Anyways I am trying to look at all avenues before making him an offer on it.
I believe this perkins would be a dry sleeve engine, so not sure how that would affect your head gasket issue. perkins were known for head gasket issues, some of them at least. I'd do some research on the farm forums on that engine, there will be more experience regarding that engine than here.
My old 50...the pan was part of the structure....found that out changing a rear seal...had to split it....what a pain.basically it was split in 2 places...
Yes, I think it is like the Ag tractors and doesn't have a frame per say but a heavy cast iron oil pan that is part of the structure. The engine is a 4-203, the same as used in a 165 and generally a trouble free engine. It's a 4 cylinder version of the 3-152. I believe the 4-318 were known for some head gasket issues.
Yep all those old perkins where pretty good. Just those rubber o rings on the cav fuel lines..every so often..also keep rad clean....but awesome engines
Ok thank you.
Is there a particular forum you would suggest?
I'd search 4-203 head gasket problems, and you'll get a page of results to look at. I don't know when they came out with the slightly larger one, 236 maybe?, that might be your engine also. Agree with Dave, the bigger one was the one known for head gasket problems.
Hello New here I have the same model MF50A It has the AD4 203. I would like to follow along with this thread.