Case Backhoe 33 - Control Valve to Manifold hoses (x4) - p/n D42601 - 18 1/2" Long. I have to replace a couple of these hoses and I thought I'd do all 4 while I'm at it as the others look a tad 'ratty' also. Apparently, there are only 4 of these in the entire US currently (11/25/2019) and are all in PA. So, I'll look to having them fabricated locally. Here's my problem ..... the machine is 125 miles from where I'm at so I thought I'd get them made local to me first then go fit them when the weather is better. The Case parts Manual nor the local Case dealer have details as to the construction, except the length! It's rumored the hose 'could be' 5/8" 2-Wire (#10 Hose?) and the fittings #10 Flare. One end Male, the other Female. Although I've also been told that a #8 2-Wire (1/2" hose) would work with "upsized" (?) fittings used. I also need to get some Crowfoot wrenches which I believe should be 1 1/4" AND 1 1/16" - is this correct? It would be great to get them made in advance of the repair. Can anybody tell me what the specs on these hoses are please?
Welcome to HEF CC ! I cannot give you any specs that wold be 100% correct. Because it is hard to say what may have been installed/altered in the life of that BH. You should go there and take one of them off. Or two if they aren't all the same. Buy a complete set of jumbo 1/2inch drive crows foot wrenches. You will need them all eventually. Ebay will prolly be the cheapest place to get them.
Is there no hose shop near where your 'hoe is parked? I have been replacing hoses on mine and I am in a similar situation. Backhoe is 50 miles from the house. I try to have parts with me so I don't waste my work time running around. The Cat dealer prices on hoses are not cheap but I am sure are great quality. Local hose shop charged me $80 to make 4 hoses that cat wanted $80 each for. So best to remove the hoses and go have them made up.
There used to be a hose chart in the back of the old paper parts books that gave hose size length, diameter and fitting size if you have one you might have your answer. If not the only thing you can do is remove old hoses (as they are different lengths) and have made up. Be sure to take lots of photos of location especially at valve bank.
I use colored zip ties on the hose and fitting it connects to. Use color combinations when you need more hose id's.
Just to finish up on this ....... got Napa to make the hoses up. Didn't realize how easy the whole process was BUT ....... what a ba*#ard to to get to the hex flats on the hose ends. This 1970 33 unit is a really crappy design for maintenance. Bought all the 'available' crow foot wrench sets but still had to make up an open sided long 1 1/4" socket to get onto the nuts. My buddy's 1974 unit has a different design with long, more accessible hoses ...... no wonder Case changed the design! Note .... it appears Case marketed special open cockets for this job and I believe they were made by Snap-On. They are sold occasionally on Ebay etc. as 'antique' items. I saw sets of 3 (1 1/4", 1 1/8", 1, 1/16") going for silly money. Having done the job now, I think the prices are not so silly! Thanks all for your input and happy new year.
All of those hose fittings should come off with a set of crowsfoot wrenches and various extensions. Start taking the outside hoses off first and work your way in to the ones that are being replaced. A time consuming nuisance for sure.