Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580ck backhoe control hoses replacement

dirty rice ยท 2018-04-20 10:48

Hello everyone, How do I go about removing these four hoses in the pictures that run from the control valve hard pipes to the backhoe swing tower? I have a crowsfoot wrench but there doesn't seem to be any clearance, especially on the end thats under the swing tower. I've thought about cutting the hoses and using a socket, but I don't think a cutoff tool or grinder can get close enough to allow a socket to fit. Even if that was to work, I would still be stuck with needing a way to tighten the new hoses down. Or is there a special tool I need?

Replies21
  1. #1jimg9842018-04-20 10:55

    maybe a hammer and chisel place chisel on high part of nut tap easy and get harder may work has been done GOOD LUCK

  2. #2td14steve2018-04-20 15:11

    You might have to take them off of the control bank first . If they are one of the inner hoses its easier to take off the outer hoses first and work your way in to the ones you need to get at otherwise there's no room to turn a wrench with all the hoses in there. Hope this helps, I have some on an old 430 right now that have to come off this weekend. Steve

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-04-20 15:50

    Like Steve says , remove them from the outside in. BUT, first get some colored zip ties. Put one color on each hose end and one of the same color on each stationary fitting that that same hose connects to. You may need to put two ties of the same color or mix colors on each line after you run out of single colors. There is nothing worse than to get every one back together only to find that you reversed the hose connections. You may also determine that a swivel fitting added to new line will make installation immensely easier.

  4. #4Billrog2018-04-20 16:03

    They may be very tight ( actually they will be) so stick a wrench threw or in the other end of the box end for leverage. I couldn't find a 1.25" box end so bought an old wrench and made one.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2018-04-20 22:16

    If taking the line off ant the valve doesn't work then cut the bad line with a die grinder and use a socket and impact wrench to get the fitting out of the ferrel nut.

  6. #6dirty rice2018-04-21 11:10

    The hose ends at the valves look manageable, but I'm looking at the other ends (circled in red in the photo) and I can't see how I could get a chisel, wrench, or grinder close enough to get to the fittings. The hole is just big enough for the four hoses to pass through and then maybe an inch extra around and thats it. The hose ends sit a several inches into the enclosure. Would unbolting the hose manifold help?

  7. #7jimg9842018-04-21 15:29

    what about a plumbers basin wrench would take a brand like ridig** the large one, google home depot to see what one looks like,, hose takes home made wrench and mfg ones,,,, once saw a man trying his wife can opener lol

  8. #8Tinkerer2018-04-21 18:22

    Yes probably. Like Coy said, cut the hoses off. Whatever you do don't try to loosen any of the hose ends without a wrench on the steel pipe fittings. Try and get a crowfoot on them with a socket extension and a handle. Those pipes have a thin wall and are easily twisted.

  9. #9Bluox2018-04-21 19:29

    Don't those hoses run up the boom to the cylinders ? Bob

  10. #10Tinkerer2018-04-21 20:20

    They might when he gets done with it.

  11. #11Billrog2018-04-21 21:01

    Loosen the other end of the steel line and slide them down where you can work on them. Or pull the steel lines up to get at the hoses.

  12. #12dirty rice2018-04-26 12:46

    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them and other ideas too with no luck. I think I'm just going to keep things simple and do away with the hard pipes. Looks like they are there to allow the hoses to make the turns without kinking. I will undo the hard pipes right at the control valves where there is more room and bypass the piping manifold under the swing tower. I'll just plumb the four hoses around, instead of through the structure.

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2018-04-26 19:11

    You can do as you please but if you go around the swing tower you will damage the hoses as you swing the boom.

  14. #14Tinkerer2018-04-26 19:59

    Keep in mind DR, those hoses went in there. Can you not loosen the manifold and get at the fittings ? Lay the boom straight out. Isn't there access to the manifold on the rear of the swing tower ? The only photo you posted of the swing tower is the front of it and the steel lines. Coy is right about damaging them if they are outside of the boom. They will get pinched when you swing extreme right or left.

  15. #15dirty rice2018-04-27 11:55

    Yes, I am aware that the lines are in danger of being pinched and will be cognizant when I route them. The original hoses don't seem any better off as they have been worn at the opening in the swing tower. I have tried to remove the manifold, but the bolt head is very difficult to get to with a socket, much less a wrench. Also, the fastener appears to be rusted on pretty good. I'll get post some pictures latter when I get a chance to go back there.

  16. #16hosspuller2018-04-27 16:33

    DirtyRice ... Nige posted a solution in a joke thread .. BUT ... Likely the manifold was installed with the hoses attached. You will have to reverse the process. Undo the hoses and then pull the manifold with hoses on through the boom.

  17. #17Tinkerer2018-04-27 19:06

    Exactly Hoss ! It shouldn't be that hard to do other than dealing with rusted/ siezed bolts on the tower.

  18. #18dirty rice2018-04-30 02:35

    Thanks for the laugh. I can really use it when working on this machine. Well, the dirty deed has already been done and all the hoses removed. For those that are still interested/curious - the first pic shows the tight clearance and the four hoses passing through the front of the swing tower. The second photo shows the back side and where the two bolt heads that hold the manifold are located - right in the middle of the bracket ears so that the back of the bracket blocks a socket, swivel, and extension. The last pic show the chafing on the hoses from rubbing due to pivoting of the swing tower. In the end, I had to cut the hoses off and use a socket with a 3' cheater bar to break the fittings loose.

  19. #19thepumpguysc2018-04-30 03:12

    Glad ya figured it out.. That's gonna be a bit pricey to repair tho.. 4 hoses instead of 1.. Do the smart thing & "open up the hole" abit w/ a blue wrench for future repairs..?? That way, you can put some kind of "loom" or rubber over the hoses, to prevent it from happening again..

  20. #20Coy Lancaster2018-04-30 08:30

    Well at least you have a start lol. Grant you this was not one of Case's better designs but in the late 50's or early 60's this was so much better than anyone else's backhoe. Still sux to have to go through all that.

  21. #21Tinkerer2018-04-30 09:18

    You won't regret changing all four hose this time DR. I changed only one once and then a couple of months later I had to change another one. In regards to the rubbing when swinging the boom, I cut a piece out of a truck mud flap and wrapped it around them. Use only high quality name brand hose for replacements. Parker or Areoquip is what I recommend. I bought some hose from the local CNH dealer and they were unbranded. Every one of them failed. They didn't burst but would develop oil filled blisters on them. Forums