I've got a 1971 580CK Series B Backhoe - Oil leaks through bottom bolt hole where flywheel is bolted when flywheel is removed, no bolt installed and the engine is tilted down sharply to floor on the flywheel end. Is this leak normal? Discovered this issue while splitting tractor to replace clutch and let engine tilt down on flywheel side while moving with a gantry crane. If not normal, what would be the fix? Replace main seal? Worse? Thank you
Yep, that's probably a through-hole and it's above the rear main seal. I've seen that before with no problem. On edit: while you have the flywheel off, I'd sure replace the rear main seal. It'll take a few extra minutes, and you'll cuss yourself if it goes to leaking next month.
I will definitely replace the main rear seal. thanks
How does the main seal come off? I've removed all bolts that I see and the bottom of the seal plate will not budge at all. Yikes!
Isn't there a couple of bolts that go through the oil pan into the seal carrier? Did you get those? Be careful the oil pan gasket does tear during the removal process.
Over the years I've found it's helpful to have someone who is not involved with the project to look the situation over when that happens. Case in point: A dozen years ago several of us were repairing the brakes on an old Massey Ferguson tlb and couldn't get the housing cover off to get to the brakes. So we called our resident expert an owner-operator with about 20 years experience to take a look. He looked things over very carefully and then began tapping at the seam with a cold chisel. A few minutes later a fellow walked in to see what we were all up to and asked if the three flathead slotted bolts had anything to do with our problem. After removing those a half dozen red faced mechanics were jumping around trying to get away from the heavy cast iron cover that M-F had not provided with a rabbit flange and dropped straight to the floor. :notworthy
My son is coming over tonight to look for the bolts going through the pan. Kinda hard to get on the ground with knee replacements. I hope it is that easy of a solution. I did not all could feeling around with my fingers. Thanks
Rear Seal ok, maybe the main seal is not the same as the rear seal. The attachment shows that I am trying to replace the rear seal. It does not leak. But, the tractor is split Does rear seal = main seal? I removed all bolts I found on the seal retainer (no 21 in the image). The retainer bottom will not budge. Top wants to move. If force it anymore I will destroy the rear seal retainer. What am I missing? Do I really need to replace the rear seal? Seems like it is not worth the hassle. Thanks
I would normally replace the seal by leaving the retainer/carrier in place. Drill holes into the seal screw in a couple of self tapping screws & pull the seal out. Try nor to damage the retainer with the drill or by levering against it during the process.