Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket Oil Cooler 1970 580CK 188

olds120 ยท 2013-10-07 12:39

Hi All, The oil cooler in my 580ck failed and I want to replace it with an aftermarket oil cooler instead of taking out the radiator. I am sure this has been done before and am looking for someone who has done this to tell me what they used, how to connect it and where to buy it. I looked online and there are many transmission coolers out there, I just don't know what the operating pressures are and what the size of the fittings are. If you have done this successfully I would love to hear about it and pictures would be awesome. Thanks Dave

Replies11
  1. #1oldcrawlerman2013-10-13 23:30

    I just made this mod to my 450.... I was tired of hot oil facials and finally sent my rad in for a recore. The cost to replace the oil heat exchanger almost doubled the repair bill so I elected to do what you are thinking. First you have to plug the oil lines coming out of the radiator, a trip to the hardware store got me the plugs I needed. The 450 hard lines that attach to the radiator had to be cut by 1-1/2" to allow brass compression elbows to face the lines forward. The lines were 5/8" od. so I chose a pair of 5/8"X 1/2 npt fittings and added 1/2 pipe X 5/8 hose barbs to both, the cooler I selected is an aircooled VW after market cooler (cheap) with 5/8" hose connections. a couple feet of 5/8" oil proof hose and hose clamps finished the connections. Mounting the cooler was a chore because the 450 has an X frame in front of the radiator... a nice attachment point... but meant my radiator guard had to be cut and re- welded to make things fit. I have about 6 hours on this modification and trans temp is the same or better than before. If you email me I can send you pictures. - John

  2. #2olds1202013-10-14 07:30

    oldcrawlerman, that sound like a nice job you did. Pictures would be great. Wondering what is the PSI rating of the cooler you chose ? and where did you buy it? Here is my email [email protected] Thanks Dave

  3. #3weldingwrench19892020-08-19 12:36

    do you happen to have a part number for the oil cooler you chose im fixing to add a cooler to mine as the previous owner changed from a mechanical shuttle to the power shuttle and the cooler radiator was one of many things he did not transfer over

  4. #4weldingwrench19892020-08-19 12:45

    also do you have any pics of the cooler you used and how you mounted it im currently bypassing the cooler like this but now that the tractor part is running and driving I need to put a cooler on it befor I do too much more probably going to get the loader mounted back on it befor I put the cooler on the so i can see how much clearance I have

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-08-19 12:48

    It's been 7 years since either of the other posters have logged in. Probably a dead end for any info. from them. Here is a link to a 580C cooler to give you an idea of what the newer machine used. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...61374/cn/A1739144-8FBF-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

  6. #6melben2020-08-19 16:20
  7. #7melben2020-08-19 16:39

    Weldingwench, The system you are working on works at full system pressure, the oil is cooled at high pressure right off of the pump output in contrast to the other style systems in the crawlers which cools low pressure excess oil that flows past the converter relief by sending the return oil through the cooler at just flow pressure. For safety sake you have to have a cooler rated at several hundred lbs, system pressure is probably near 200 Lbs. See what the pressure ratings are to be safe before you buy, you should at least double the system pressure as a rating for safety, cold oil starts, possible pressure spikes and other factors.

  8. #8weldingwrench19892020-08-19 17:22

    Thanks Melben I understand that that is why I'm a little leary and nervous and will not be putting just some thing on without researching it first because I do know that the system operates somewhere between 100 and 300 psi as I have found that out by trial and error i found that a 300 psi rated 3/4 in hose will hold back the pressure and a radiator hose will not but we are talking minimul cost on those but to get a cooler body is quite a bit more expensive so I thought maby that oldcrawlerman would respond with more info and save me a lot of time and research I usually end up building or retrofitting a lot of parts for old tractors and a lot of them are unavalible

  9. #9melben2020-08-19 17:35

    OK, will be watching your progress

  10. #10weldingwrench19892020-08-19 17:56

    Thanks I will post when I figure something out

  11. #11TSemenuk2020-08-25 06:28

    What temperature range should the oil be?