Hi guys, I have a 70 580ck. First post on here I have rebuilt the engine and shuttle clutch packs and now I'm trying my luck at the dipper rebuild, this is the first of many more but it started gushing the other day instead of the normal drip its had. Gland was a real pita until I pushed the rod out and realised the rod was bent. Ordered a seal kit and the replacement rod g105087 which looks to be the replacement for d37728. The new rod is slightly bigger than the old rod, sorry but I dont have an accurate measurement for you but I know it's only a hair bigger. I bored out the gland just enough that it comfortably fits over the new rod and I need to bore the piston out a little as well. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or know if the gland and piston off a 580c will fit my cylinder. I know the first thing I am going to hear is if I cant get you an accurate measurement I shouldn't be boring it out, this machine is for personal use and worse case I'm back where I started! I would like to give a shout out to Phil, I've been up and down the forum before signing up and your posts along with many others on here helped me through the previous rebuilds! Steve
Welcome to HEF, Steve ! I don't know if the 580C BH cylinder parts are interchangeable. Do you have the 580C cylinder parts now ? Why didn't you get the correct rod ? You may have a problem with the pin bushing sizes.
Thank you Tinkerer! I seem to have a hard time finding parts for the 580ck specifically, the part number I found for the rod looked to be updated to the part number I ordered. I have to check the pin size today before I go any further with it. I have the gland pretty much ready to go now i just need to carefully bore out the rod end of the piston as long as the pin fits. All is not lost with the gland if i have to find a different rod because i haven't modified the seal recess. Thanks, steve
You are welcome Steve ! That cylinder rod could have been made by any machine or hydraulic shop. They do them everyday. I don't know why you are finding it difficult to find parts for a 580CK. Maybe the cylinder glands and pistons would be a problem. But again any machine shop can make those also.
Well I checked the pin and it fits perfect, the gland now fits on the rod and the piston will be on it shortly. Should be back on the machine this afternoon! If I run into more issues I will bring it to the local hydraulic shop, steve
Tinkerer, I am happy to report that the cylinder went back together smoothly and the machine is back in operation with no issues with the dipper! Steve
Tinkerer, I would agree, the rods are all different. We run a rebuild shop specifically for cylinders, and it's crazy how many different rod sizes Case uses for the exact same model. I think the 580CK has 3 different sizes for just this cylinder. Steve, I'm glad to hear you're back up and running. If need any parts in the future we specialize in Case 580CK Series parts. Call us if you need some help (800) 552-5080.
The parts guy, thank you for the reply! I saved the number so I can reach out to you if I need more parts, I'm assuming you deal with re-seal/pack kits as well? I have a few more cylinders to tackle at some point they are just barely seeping by atm, I'm not planning on bending anymore rods if I can help it!!