Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580CK Freewheeling Down Hills

paradeca ยท 2012-09-10 23:29

I recently Purchased a 580CK Everything seems to work fine and the machine seems to have been fairly well taken care of. The problem I am having is that when I go down a hill the tractor just lets loose and freewheels to the bottom unless I use the brake, once this happens the tractor will not move for about 1-2 minutes. Then once I wait a couple minutes the power comes back and I can move again like nothing happened. I can climb the same hill in Forward or Reverse without anything slipping, but going down and using the engine as a brake isn't working I don't really know that much about these machines, but this doesn't seem normal. Any Ideas as to what this can be?

Replies7
  1. #1oldseabee2012-09-11 09:10

    A torque convertor without lock up will give no mechanical connection to the engine therefore no engine braking. Machines that have convertor lock up create a direct mechanical connection to the engine. Further, if you have a diesel engine without an exhaust brake it will not give much braking effort unlike a gas engine. If you have a manual trans with a clutch and a diesel engine again not a great deal of braking effort by the engine unless it has a engine braking system installed.

  2. #2oldseabee2012-09-11 09:16

    Another thing is that if you are at low idle and in a high gear, the convertor will pump oil back to the sump faster then the charge pump can fill it. That is why you get the delay at the bottom of the hill, the charge pump is refilling the convertor.

  3. #3paradeca2012-09-11 10:09

    Hi, Thanks for the response I do have the diesel , However I belive I have the mechanical Shuttle with the standard clutch. I have the service manual here and from looking at the photos that is what It looks like. It seems to be associated with the grade of the hill. I have a few hills that it has no problem with , however just a few degrees steeper and then I hear a ping noise and then the freewheeling occurs. Always at the top of the hill just as the tractor tilts to the angle. I have the shifter in low range and in 1st gear, and I've also tried it in 2nd gear. I've tried a lower RPM and Higher RPM as well. That fluid charge that you mentioned kinda reminds me of what it seems to be doing, is there any scenario that this would happen on a mechanical shuttle with a standard clutch?

  4. #4oldseabee2012-09-13 08:53

    First off you need to be sure what you have, a standard flywheel mounted clutch or a convertor with a pedal disconnect. The only thing that I can think of with what you are describing is an engine overspeed drive line disconnect to protect the engine from an overspeed condition that could destroy it.

  5. #5paradeca2012-09-13 11:30

    I verified that I have the standard flywheel mounted clutch, the mechanical shuttle. I'm stumped, I've looked all over the forums and different places and talked to a few locals that know quite a bit about them and they weren't sure. I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal operation on hills , or if something is giving out that I should replace or rebuild. If it were just freewheeling down the hill that wouldn't concern me as much , but not being able to move afterwards for a minute or two does. Thats what makes me think something is clogged or not working properly.

  6. #6paradeca2012-09-13 18:12

    Just wanted to give an update, Figured out the problem. The previous owner had a strap holding the dual range shifter in low gear , when the angle got steep it caused the strap to lose its tension and pop out of gear. when the ground leveled out there was just enough tension to slowly pop it back in gear after a minute or so. So it appears the lever itself is the problem Thanks for your input, it helped lead me to the solution

  7. #7REDDEATH2013-04-16 09:55

    test