hi... We finally got the 1970 580CK backhoe running. We bought it as a project, and it certainly didn't disappoint. The engine was totally seized from sitting for a few months (according to the previous owner). From the rust in the cylinders, plus the oil pan full of ice, it must have been sitting for a few years. Anyway, a couple of questions....first, the machine has a generator instead of an alternator. I can't find any information on a generator in my manuals at all - they all have alternator information. but nothing for a generator. Does anyone have any information? There aren't any markings for which terminal is the armature and which is the field. Any ideas? fwiw, the tachometer is also driven off the back of the generator. The generator doesn't seem to work (no increase in battery voltage when the machine is running) so I imagine I need to get it serviced. Does anyone have any good sources of cylinder seals and other wear parts? We somehow lost a swing arm pin, and two more cylinders are leaking hydraulic fluid. I already rebuilt the right stabilizer cylinder, but we went to the dealer for the parts and it was pretty pricey. Another problem is the fact that it seems that Case used several different cylinders, and I cant' seem to find any part numbers on any of the cylinders. Lastly, has anyone had trouble with water in the fluids? The hydraulic and shuttle oil both show signs of water in the fluid. We drained some, and replaced with fresh fluid. We also put some o-rings on the dipsticks. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
For seal kits and etc. these people are good to deal with: www.baumhydraulics.com For your generator question, unless you are trying to do a faithful restoration, I will outline the procedure below: 1. Remove generator 2. sell it to a scrapper 3. go to NAPA store and buy a one-wire Delco 10si alternator for about $45. It will be much less headache to modify your brackets a little than to get the generator working, and as soon as you get it going, you'll have to work on it again. There's a reason they don't use generators anymore. Good luck, Mitch
Mitch's procedure is about what I was thinking until you mentioned the tach drive. If you REALLY WANT to keep the generator, there's lots of info out there on how to keep them running, just search for "Case generator troubleshooting", or "Delco Remy generator" they're all pretty much the same. Of course it's a whole lot easier to hook up a one wire alternator.
I didn't notice your mention of the tach drive. I've always found tachs on backhoes to be nice, but not necessary. The engine is governed so you can't overspeed it. If you bwant a tach, here's one option. http://www.tinytach.com/diesel.php