Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580ck No power in reverse

dcummings2256 ยท 2016-09-29 09:55

I am new and bought a 1970 580ck named Missy. She has done quite a lot of work in the last month and is having problems with no power in reverse. I do not think it is a pump or transmission problem, it feels like when shifting the shuttle to reverse there is no real engagement not like shifting into forward. If I am not careful I can lift the front wheels off the ground when the shuttle engages. I have a service and parts manual but do not know where to start. Does anyone have a clear picture of the testing ports on the shuttle control valve and the size of the fitting required to test the pressures. I can only find the clutch pressure test outlet with my service manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Juskatla2016-09-29 15:37

    Sounds like a flow issue to the reverse clutch packs. I am nowhere near my manual but you should be able to find the section on the shuttle control valve adjustment and make sure everything looks right there. There is also a 'how it works' section on the shuttle in my manual that describes the operation in forward and reverse. If you have that in your manual, study the hydraulic flow through the valve and then look at the spool position. Something has changed and it may be as simple as a loose pin or bolt. More experienced guys on here should offer some specific suggestions.

  2. #2dcummings22562016-09-29 19:23

    Thank you Thanks a bunch, I will go through the section and make sure things are adjusted right. She has been a good machine so far.

  3. #3fast_st2016-09-29 20:28

    Might be worth pulling the top of the transmission cover, see if you can see the suction intake and look for any little metal bits. I ended up having to replace both the forward and reverse clutch pack and replace all the orings in the power shuttle. the springs in the packs broke down and wandered through the system making a bit of a mess.

  4. #4Juskatla2016-09-29 22:37

    It will likely get to pulling it apart but if there is forward, but no reverse, there is flow to the valve. The reverse circuit could be plugged or not getting flow from the valve. Since you have rebuilt your shuttle, you know how much has to come off the tractor in order to get the cover plate off and clean up all the passages. For the OP, start with the easy stuff, so you don't get into a full rebuild until you knowing why. To fast_st's point, there are a lot of things that could be your problem, including those nice sealing rings in the shuttle. The hub springs on mine were all in bits and some had gone through a few of the friction discs. If you find metal bits in the bottom of the torque tube case or at the pickup screen, its only a matter of time before you will have to tear into it.

  5. #5fast_st2016-09-30 05:14

    Yeah, something about 40 year old springs in a harsh environment But I repaired that 25 years ago now, its been doing great ever since!

  6. #6dcummings22562016-09-30 10:17

    Thank you for your help and advice I just change my shuttle tranny hydraulic fluid and it did not contain any junk. I know that down the road I will need to rebuild the shuttle because of age. Hopefully later not sooner. Thanks again, I am learning about my machine each time I get your responses.

  7. #7dcummings22562016-09-30 10:30

    I am thinking that this is something simple because reverse was my better direction than forward until just recently. Also it seems that if I get her going in reverse it will maintain it as long as you do not try to do too much requiring power (drag dirt, backing up a slight up grade with a full bucket, etc). Do you know what line in front of the radiator goes to the shuttle pump. I was thinking of disconnecting it and blowing air through it to possibly clear out any stuff. I do have access to the bottom of the shuttle pumps intake tube but I would need to drain the hydraulic shuttle fluid to check it and that stuff is not cheap.

  8. #8fast_st2016-10-01 09:18

    draining is not discarding if you're careful, clean it up and make sure you keep any bits out of the container, Shuttle / trans filter is out in that can ahead of the radiator, hydraulic filter is on the right hand loader frame.

  9. #9Juskatla2016-10-02 12:38

    Keep in mind that if you have power in one direction and nothing in the other, you should look at what is involved with that direction. A plugged screen wouldn't help but then you not have much power in either direction. Look in your manual for the test procedure at the filter housing. Most of this is described in detail if you take some time and read through the various sections. You can reuse your oil if you clean the tractor around the drains, so no dirt fall is and let it settle out, leaving any bits in the bottom of the bucket. Once you resolve your problem, change the filter and the oil. Its cheap insurance. Clean is your friend on anything with hydraulics and shuttle type transmissions. None of them like any dirt or debris, same as an automatic in a car or truck.

  10. #10dcummings22562016-10-02 13:14

    I am going the section in my service manual and purchased the test hydraulic hose and a 0-300 pound pressure gauge for testing clutch pressure and the other 2 tests. Do you know the size of the hydraulic fitting I need on the shuttle control valve side. I can got find that anywhere in the section that tells how to test it and what the pressures should be. Thank you for your help on this.

  11. #11Juskatla2016-10-02 16:23

    I don't remember what the exact fitting is but think the convertor oil tubes running forward are 5/8. In my service manual Section 4S Servicing the Power Shuttle has the Oil Pump Pressure checks and the Clutch Pressure Check procedures on page 4S-21. Warm engine at 600RPM pump pressure measures at filter should be 275 - 325 PSI, at 2250RPM, it should not exceed 500 PSI. Clutch pressure check from oil pressure tube fitting on side of control valve body, transmission in neutral, warm engine 1500 RPM, engage clutches both forward and reverse using shuttle shift lever, pressure guage reading should be 170-190 PSI I'm down with the flu, so that's all I can offer right now but you should be able to figure it out with some patience and your manual...

  12. #12dcummings22562016-10-02 17:36

    The fitting size I am looking for is the one where I check the clutch pressure, 170-190 pounds. I have a 1/4 inch fitting but it is big. I can't find anywhere ir tells me the size. When you feel better any assistance where to find the size would be greatly appreciated.