Good day all... I have a loud noise coming from the front of my newly purchased 1970, 580ck diesel with power shuttle. It sounds like a bearing failing on an alternator, but it is not. If I depress the clutch (pressure release), the noise completely goes away. This led me to believe that the filters may be at fault. I replace both filters -one in the front (power shuttle filter) and the other over the shuttle itself (external port filter). Neither location had a filter in them. The previous owner says that at times the backhoe will not move in either direction, leading me to believe that the pick up tube may be blocked. But what would cause that whining noise from the front? Could it be some kind of sucking vibration? Could a tube be blocked other than the pickup tube? Or something else all together? As always, any reply is appreciated! Kind regards. Dave P.S. has anyone heard from Dale? Last I heard he was in the hospital, and haven't heard from him since. Hope he is ok.
Are you sure the noise is up front ? Depressing the clutch just stops the input shaft and everything else connected to it from spinning. Are you referring to Dale Wiess in your last question ?
Yes I am sure it is from up front. Sounds like it is coming from the radiator. Maybe one of the tubes has something stuck in it and it is causing a howl? I am going to try to bypass all of the front filtration stuff and see if she still makes the howl. Yes, I have a few emails and calls into Dale Wiess and have not heard back in some time, hoping he is alright.
Check the fan belt tension. Also see if a fan blade is hitting something. Dale does have health issues. I wish him well.
I am having the same issue. Clutch out, noise, clutch in, it stops. I can feel vibration in the two steel lines coming out of where the clutch and shuttle rods go in above the torque converter. I am no mechanic so I don't know what the technical terms are. Also, my 1968 580ck will no longer go forward or reverse. If I raise it off the ground, it will drive the rear right wheel faster than the other. Any help would be great.
I bypassed all of the front filtration stuff, and the noise continued. So I decided to open her up. Looks like it was just a plugged tube, (see picture). I think it was making noise because of the low flow/high suction. I won't know for sure until I get her back together. (give me a couple of weeks). I'll reply afterwards and let you know if the noise is gone.
Wanted to post a follow up to this thread. I have fixed the noise coming from the front of the engine. The pickup tube was plugged and was causing the noise. Not sure why it was coming from the front of the engine, but it was. Once I cleaned the pickup tube (power shuttle feed tube), the noise disappeared, and has not come back.