Painstakingly trying to figure what starter I need for my 71? 580ck shuttle drive diesel 188 backhoe, serial # 8679452. Starter was replaced before I purchased backhoe with a dry clutch starter #1107584, and it pukes oil out. It has a 9 tooth starter currently and starts and sounds great cranking with no signs of wear, but pukes oil out because it has no internal seal. Searching for a38413?, or an interchange starter, I find interchange starters but they have 10 tooth gear. Really don't want to spend $400 for a starter I think I need from Canada, because I got screwed out of a $2000.00 core charge on a broken dodge injection pump from BD I paid $1600.00 for. Question is, does anyone know what starter, and where to purchase that is reasonably priced? Thank you for any advice that anyone takes the time to respond.
Look at ALL the details in the CNH online parts book. The A38413 is a Delco-Remy #1107874. The A38413 is a 10 tooth drive. Most likely there was a a screw up posted in the parts book. You need to search for the Delco-Remy starter because it has the 9 tooth drive gear. They are readily available from internet vendors. Here is one on ebay. Read the description of it carefully. Here is a link to it.
This has to be the most confusing parts look-up I've ever been involved in. Nothing makes sense to me when cross reference numbers can have different number of teeth on drive gear. Even the original books that came with the backhoe call the A38413 a 9 tooth. Really don't want the wrong starter and cause internal damage, if teeth don't mesh correctly. I think I will order the link Tinkerer recommended, even though it does not specify wet clutch on that particular listing.
There are hundreds of different Delco-Remy starters and their configurations. The OEM part number on them contains the drive gear tooth information that is on them. Sometimes the have to be re-clocked to fit an engine block. Call Dale Wiess. He is a human encyclopedia of anything Case. I can guarantee that he will tell you everything you need to know about that starter ! http://e-backhoeparts.com/