Well this will be my first winter with my 580CK. This is my first diesel, and first loader for use snowremovel. Any tricks and tips for me? the engine has a manafold heater also. How does that system work? This engine starts REAL quickly in the summer, but never started it in the cold. Any other cold weather tips for me??? Also I need to change the oil in it. Should I stick with the 15w40 thats in it? or go to a diferent weight? What about synthic?? I can get 5w40 syntec...would that be a good choice?? Thanks for any tips for me!!
If you want a reliable start install a block heater to warm the engine if you are in a cold temp zone. The engine may get a bit hard to get going under 30 F. without it. Resist the urge to use ether. Battery should be the most cranking amps that will fit the case, a 1000 amp group 30 will fit and the cables should be heavy diesel grade stuff, no autozone specials built for cars and the charge rate should be checked to see that the battery is maintained at full charge. Do not overlook fan belt tension as I have seen many slipping and not running the alt/gen up to capacity. If it were mine I'd probably equip it with a Nippodenso gear reduction starter off a D series but you would probably have to tweak the power steering pump lines a bit to get it on there. If it is in good condition fuel system wise and has good compression these tips should get you where you want to be starting wise. Oh, and I would change the fuel filters going into fall each year and insist on your fuel supplier getting you winter blended fuel. The new fuels are not on a par with fuels from years back and you may want to enquire about an addditive to keep it from gelling and one that provides algae control. You said that you were new to diesel so I kinda did a crash course cause of that. Some others will think of things I have overlooked and we're a community that likes to serve others so we'll post this and see what others may add. Mel
I agree with melben, a block coolant heater is the best thing you can do for a diesel engine. When it's cold, don't fire off engine and just take off with machine. Let machine run at a high idle to allow engine and hydraulic system to warm up before operating.
I would go with the 5w40 syntec oil. I use 0W40 full synthetic in my chore tractors over winter. In weather below freezing a standard block heater is good if you can plug it in. When it gets below about -20 to -25 I plug in a oil pan heater and some times if its going to be really cold the transmission heater as well. If its going to be sitting outside and you can't plug in a block heater I would look into an espar heater or something like that so you can warm the engine up a bit before starting.
Just to add. I've found the block heater for that engine is just adequate as long as the machine is not exposed to any winter wind. If outside throw a tarp over the engine, right to the ground, and figure on about 3 hours wait, if very cold. The manifold heater helps, I find myself using it only the days it doesn't have to be plugged in, around the freezing mark. I had a B model once that had an in-line heater, in the heater hose, plumbed in parallel, right next to the engine. It really worked well and would always start with-in the hour. I also have a barbecue tank and wand, available, just to warm the oil pan a little, on the very cold days. There are heaters made just for propane tanks that disperse the heat better, and with a tarp, will get you going in less than an hour. Phil
OK.... just to fill insome info... Yes it has a block heater. I changed the oil yesterday, and used 15w40. It was all I could find in short order. She's a good runner, and yesterday it started with just a few extra cranks at 35deg. OK... so the manafold heater..... How do I tell if its working? It has power to it, but if its on, will the outside of the manafold get warm to the touch? Also I dont have a operators manual for this tractor, but I do for a 530ck... In it it says to turn on the heater for about 30sec, and then crank. Im assuming that the same for the 580 becouse its the same engine. Am I correct? I have a few other issues that I found, and I will be making other posts asking about them. Thanks for all your help!!!!!
OK.. so just a update... It was 30deg this morning so I figure I would give it a shot.. Without being plugged in, and no manafold heater it would nit fire. It tryed... but just would not catch. I think it might of if I kept at it... but it wasnt happy about it. using the manafold heater for 30 sec she fired right up quick as could be!! Also the last fillup was in the begening of summer so maybe having winter blend fuel in it will help also.
Put some diesel fuel conditioner in the tank. Most of them will help with any small amounts of water in the fuel but will also raise the cetane rating a little. I have had good results with a brand named 911 Fuel Conditioner. There are many others similar to it.
Yes, I believe it's the same manifold heater in the 530. Interesting to pull one of those out, it's a large coil and it does get red hot. I believe one cannot order a replacement since Case discontinued them. They are quite robust and last a long time. It takes a darn good 188 diesel to start at or just below freezing, without ether, or heat from some source. I've only had one that would do it, in my lifetime. Phil
I installed one of those block heaters that replaces a freeze plug in my ford. Plug it in for 30 mins tops, it starts instantly.