Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580CK Voltage Regulator

rickw ยท 2012-12-17 07:13

My charging system is not working. I dont think the generator is working, I am taking it in to have it checked/rebuilt. I wanted to replace voltage reg. I replaced it years ago w/ I had gen rebuilt and I think I got one at TSC. I did not see one like mine at TSC this time. I found one thru Case but it is $175!! Does anybody know if a 12v volt reg from tsc will work or if there is a better place to get one from for a good price. Mine is the rectangular style, The TSC one in square. Rick

Replies9
  1. #1gusbratz2012-12-17 17:09

    here is some info, not sure if you have a generator or an alternator on that machine. http://www.stinsonclub.org/PublicTech/YahooGroup/Delco-Remy 1R-116 (regulator).pdf

  2. #2rickw2012-12-18 06:47

    Gusbratz, Thanks for the info. I did not realize there was so much to this ancient charging system!!

  3. #3Tinkerer2012-12-19 00:39

    Rick, That regulator / part # A44543 is available online at Coleman and Messick's Case NH dealerships for $ 55.56. I would have thought that would be the price at any CNH dealership. Here is a link to Coleman. http://www.colemanequip.com/Case_Parts.asp#partSearch

  4. #4rickw2012-12-19 05:56

    Tinkerer, I had a different #.Thanks for the # and link 55-60 is more than reasonable!

  5. #5bowen2012-12-20 05:42

    Are these generator/altanator/voltage-regulator parts special and available from Case only? On my old Case tractor the unit was standard. (Maybe Delco or Remy or something available from them or maybe a auto supply.) My voltage regulator has the manufacture's part number stamped on it. I had to clean it up good to find it. If so I bet the price would be a good bit less.I would take the complete unit to them and have the assembly tested. Bearings, diodes, whatever seems to be cheap from them. The local shop here does radiators, batteries, and rebuilds charging units.

  6. #6rickw2012-12-20 06:18

    That is what I am going to do. Take reg and generator in and have it checked.

  7. #7Tinkerer2012-12-20 06:59

    There is also a very simple and easy to install alternator conversion set-up that is commonly referred to as a GM one wire charging system. It can be done with a rebuilt alternator that can be purchased at any auto parts store for about $ 35.00 or $ 40.00. Those alternators have there own built in regulator. I did the conversion on my own tractor and it works very well. If you do a Google search for GM one wire alternator you will get a lot of information about it. But if your tachometer is hooked up to your original set-up you may not be able to have a functioning tach. Maybe someone else can give more info about it.

  8. #8rickw2012-12-20 18:56

    I guess i have to figure out if a adapter bracket os available

  9. #9Tinkerer2012-12-21 06:46

    Rick; If you go with the one wire conversion you may not need an adapter. The parts book shows two different Delco-Remy alternators plus the Prestolite with the regulator as standard equipment on the 580C. The GM alternator should bolt right on. My 680 had the Prestolite alternator and regulator. I did have to change the belt pulley on the rebuilt GM alt.