I am looking for a source for both the pins and bushings for my old and formerly abused model Case 33 backhoe. They are of the trunnion style, mounted in between two fixed metal plates with pins inserted from the top and bottom and 4 bolts which secure each of the pins in place. I have done a cursory check on the internet and contacted a supplier (EPS) with no success. I do not have a part number for the pin or bushing. An after market supplier would be my choice due to cost. Any help would be appreciated.
Is this the correct model you have ? ---> https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...449e5884cf78cf76&sl=EN¤cy=#epc::mr65627 Model 33 backhoe --------> https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr64163ag4305789 There are two little squares at the bottom of the pages. Clicking on them will change the parts view from a word list to a pictorial list.
Yes it is, Thank You for responding! Unfortunately it appears as if the swing pin (D30724) has been superseded but I found no reference to the new part or part number. The bushing shown (D30735) still appears to be a valid part. I suppose I will try calling a Case Dealer and see if they can supply the replacement part number and see where that leads me. Thanks again!
Those superceded part numbers are available for CNH Dealer use only and few others that can get the software for them. For aftermarket parts call Dale Weiss in Daleville Indiana. He is tractorstuff.com. Here is an eBay link for a really good service manual. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Backhoe-Loader-580CK-Workshop-Service-Manual/142282791974?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 If you buy it he will send an email with a link for an instant download and the cd will be mailed to you.
I was concerned that the part was no longer available but hopeful that some after market company was producing the pins and bushing. It is around a 50 year old machine so probably not a money making part for Case. I will give Dale Weiss a call tomorrow and see if he can help. The design of the pin will likely cause it to be pricey even if I do find a source. After removing the pins it was obvious as to what was causing all of the slack when swinging. The backhoe has all of the problems associated with a 50 year old machine the was poorly maintained. So I have been learning a lot of somewhat expensive lessons, mostly the hard way. Again, I appreciate your help and respect the knowledge you obviously have accumulated over the years.
I am in the same boat as you and my searching has been gone no where. Please post here if you find these parts.
John Z, If Dale can't help you with those swing pins, you may be able to get yours built up and turned down to fit some new bushings that can also be made if you can't find some. If you aren't working it hard every day and keep the grease to it, it will hold up pretty well. Got a good machine shop nearby?
A lot of Case pins and bushings are available on eBay.
"Boisebiker"...If I find a source or another solution I would be happy to share the info.
"Grady" I have given that possibility some thought but I am focused on finding a source and then compare other potential solutions. Cost will be part of solution I select.
Cost is always a consideration but availability is an even bigger concern. If you can't find any, it doesn't matter how much they cost. Machines that old may require that some parts be made or remade. Luckily, pins and bushings are easy to make. The chances of finding new swing pins are slim - about the same as finding some used ones that don't need to be redone - unless they already have been. Shop around, you might be surprised. If you have the pins redone, you may be able to buy aftermarket bushings like these: https://www.cylinderservices.net/store/Hardened-Steel-Bushings-INCH-SIZES-c8329233
Update for those interested: spoke with Dale Weiss and he has 1 new pin and several used and worn pins. There are a few other new pins (maybe) from Case dealers and they are old stock. Dale suggested looking into spray welding to build the pin up and then having it machined to the correct dimension. He was going to investigate with a company he knows and see what the cost to do 12 of the used pins he has and see if it is worth the cost. By the way, it appears the cost of news pins (4) would be in the neighborhood of $700.00 and somewhat north of $100.00 for the bushings. Thanks to all for their advice.
Spray welding and turning down is a good option. I have a Cat hoe with a rotary swing cylinder that was leaking because the main shaft was wore at the bottom seals. It was repaired by spray welding for around $300 if I recall. There's different metal powders they use to give the required hardness. I don't know if a new shaft was available but if it was I would guess it would be over $1500 considering it is fairly large and has a bunch of machining involved for the vane seals.
Spray welding is nice but seems like overkill on an old CK unless you have a buddy who can hook you up on the cheap. How much work is this machine going to see? I'm only a hack welder but I bet you could mig or tig your worn pins to build them up and anyone can turn them down to size on a lathe. The reason those pins are worn out is because they didn't get greased. I'm just a cheap SOB I guess but this isn't a crankshaft journal on the space shuttle . I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on an old hoe - a young one, maybe. Just keep it greased.
I built the pins on my 680 swing cylinders up with brass. Turned them down to match the new bushings. It is just used for odd jobs around the farm but that was 20 years ago. Just grease them regularly. The steel repair would be much better.
Tenwheeler - Exactly!
Go to your local welding shop and get you some build up rods and build up pins with them and then turn down to fit.
What kind of hardness can you get with welding? Will the built up pins need to be hardened after turning them down to size?
If you don't get them too hot you'll be ok, weld a couple of passes and them let them cool, and them weld some more. And if you want you can always qunich them in oil when you are done. And by the way you can probably find aftermarket pins and bushings online, go to "partstore.casece.com" and look up the 33 backhoe for your 580 and then scroll down to find what you need in different categories.
Depending on what you use to build up the pins, the weld could be as hard or harder than the pin - if that mattered. Did you read 10 wheeler's post where he used brass and that was 20 years ago? If you aren't digging 8 hours a day every day - and you use your grease gun - you will never have to repair it again. You want the pin to wear - not the bushing. The bushing is what needs to be hard and grease is what is important.
The buildup rod will be harder than the pun for sure and I’d be afraid that using brass would heat pin up too much. But all of our suggestions are just that suggestions.
I wasn't suggesting he use brass to build up his pins - even 10 wheeler said that steel would be a superior fix - I was pointing out that a soft metal like brass lasted him 20 years so far so the hardness of the pin was really a non-issue. Hard bushings - yes, and lots of grease.