Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580D backhoe attachment compatible with 580C?

DirtyHoe ยท 2018-05-13 11:53

Hi, I'm looking at a used 580D backhoe attachment for my 580C. Will it bolt right on my 580C without any modifications? This one is in good shape and mine needs a lot of repairs. Also it has hand controls, and due to a leg injury I'm struggling with the foot swing. So this would be a nice upgrade if it would fit right on. Thanks, Steve

Replies7
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-05-13 23:15

    They all should pretty much fit with very little if any problems

  2. #2DirtyHoe2018-05-14 00:54

    I noticed in the parts manual the upper link which secures the backhoe to the tractor is different. I also noticed the 580D hydraulic system has a higher pressure than the 580C. That probably won't be a big issue. Steve

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2018-05-14 08:19

    The 580D uses a tandem hydraulic pump which the power steering runs off the main hyd. system with a steering relief valve attached to the frame on right side under the machine. The swing tower is a bit different in that it has bushings in it, but pin sizes are the same. The upper pin can be swapped out and the 580D boom lock can be used or you can change out the swing tower itself.

  4. #4DirtyHoe2018-05-18 08:50

    The boom has a weld repair. Is this a known problem spot or concern? Is this a casting hole? With a flashlight I can see from the inside maybe an inch hairline crack where they did not get enough penetration. The outside looks solid. Apparenty this is a cast steel boom and welding is not an issue based on the obvious factory welds? I found no other cracks and overall it is in good shape. Bushings are tight for its age. Steve

  5. #5DirtyHoe2018-05-21 01:44

    No response for a few days. Has anyone seen the boom crack on a 580D? Steve

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2018-05-21 07:58

    I saw your photo and have seen that same repair a bunch of times on different machines. I think that damage was caused by a worn boom bumper, when you went to travel position and locked the boom up if the rubber bumper was worn or damaged it would allow the boom to bang against the swing tower and cause stress in that area. So just keep your bumper in good shape and bushing not too loose and it should be good. And of course keep an eye on it.

  7. #7Theweldor2018-05-21 20:57

    I have repaired a few over the years. Keep the bushings tight and greased. I wouldn't worry about the small hairline crack you can see on the inside. It is a tough cal as to how much to grind out and it may have needed a bit more to get full penetration. Just check it on occasion to make sure it is not getting any worse. I have never had one come back after welding.