Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flushing hydraulic system case 480D

Pecos McLeod · 2018-05-13 14:07

Good morning, I’m digging into a new project on an old Case 480D. I found some rust, water and gunk in the first ram I am rebuilding (main boom). The fluid looks terrible. What I’m wondering is can I use a cheaper oil to flush out the system before refilling with hytran? I have access to a good amount of delo 400 Diesel engine oil (15w-40). Is there any option to save some money just to flush and purge old oil and crud out? I’ll be doing a couple filter changes as I go. Any help or tips will be appreciated!

Replies7
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-05-13 22:52

    I found the best way to get moisture out of hyd. system is to repair all leaking cylinders and then draining the hyd tank and then add new oil to system and then change the hyd filter when you run the machine and heat the hydraulics up it should burn off the rest of the moisture. But of course you can do as you please on the oil if it don't cost you anything then that'll be good also.

  2. #2Pecos McLeod2018-06-09 20:40

    Ok, so I think I’m going to need about 55 gallons of oil. Anyone know a non case brand I can use that is available in 55gallon drums? I’ve flushed through about 15 gallons so far and still totally milky. At 70 bucks for 5 gallons I’m running out of money!! I’ve tried searching and found threads that start discussing only using hytran because the transmission is common to the hydraulic system. Other people come back and say it’s ok if your transmission is separate. Educate me... I believe that I have a hydraulic system that services the hydraulics and transmission (shuttle??) This machine has a gear shifter with 4 speeds on the floor and Fwd, neut, rev on the column) Am I correct that my hydraulics and transmission are a common system? I know the differential/transaxle takes year oil and is separate. Wisdom much appreciated!

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2018-06-09 22:42

    The hydraulics and the shuttle trans mission are separate systems, both systems use hydraulic oil. The four speed trans axle uses gear oil like 85/140 or 90 weight. You can use a cheap oil from any parts store to flush the hyd. system. The only way you'll ever get all the moisture out is to remove all cyl. and drain them. Or just drain the oil one more time and refill and live with it as you heat the system a lot of the moisture will burn out.

  4. #4Pecos McLeod2018-06-09 23:16

    Thanks Coy, I was confused because at one point it would take a long time to move in forward (reverse was quick). When I added hyd fluid to the hydraulic reservoir it started moving flawlessly. Maybe it was just coincidence. I’ll spend some time in then service manual to understand how to check the fluid in the shuttle. I appreciate the response.

  5. #5Tinkerer2018-06-10 06:53

    Pecos; you may find this thread is relative to your system flush. -------------> HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2018-06-10 08:17

    The dipstick for the foward and reverse shuttle transmission is just above the starter on right hand side of engine, you check it with engine running.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2018-06-11 10:10

    No problem glad I could help.