Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580D case

midwestusa ยท 2010-09-11 11:44

I have a 580D loader-backhoe tractor shuttle shift. The shifter is stuck in 4th gear. I pulled out the shifter and stuck a heavy bar in the shifter slot and used a lot of force an could not move it. I am told by reading these forums that the only way to get the cover plate off is that it must be in neutral. I think maybe a synchronizer might be froze up. I an looking for any suggestions on how to unstick the shifter or remove the plate. Thanks Dennis

Replies6
  1. #1frogfarmer2010-09-11 16:55

    Try this. Get the drive wheels off the ground so they can spin freely and run the machine in gear while trying to move the shifter. This may free up the trans but you likely have a severe mechanical problem that needs to be fixed. Good Luck

  2. #2Goose2010-09-11 19:49

    Try doing what frogfarmer said. As a last resort you may force the cover off if you cant get it out of forth gear. What is keeping you from pulling the top over is the shift rail that slides out of the shifter cover and inch or so and now is under the transmission case not letting the cover to raise straight since it also has 2 shift forks engaged in the top shaft. I have had to pry the top cover just right and break the shift rail to get the cover off of a few machines.

  3. #3midwestusa2010-09-13 15:31

    I had already lifted off the wheels and drove up and down hill trying to unstick the shifter. thanks for the suggestion also goose sounds like you have torn into some. what is usually the problem once inside? just courious. Looks like I will be takeing the transmission out.

  4. #4Goose2010-09-13 20:41

    The most comman thing is the three dogs in the syncronizer are broken and wedged between the hub and the brass blocking ring. Or the slots in the blocking ring have worn the square corners and have become ramps and are wedged on the dogs.

  5. #5midwestusa2010-09-15 13:49

    transmission out so right on the wedged parts. couldn't pry the top cover just right and broke it so now I am again asking where is a good place to buy a used top cover and also a good place to buy new parts for the transmission

  6. #6JeremiahSr2010-09-15 17:40

    hey midwestusa, check out this link...i've bought alot from them past couple months and have had no problems. http://www.brokentractor.com/case_backhoe_trans_gears.htm