Hi guys,long story but my backhoe motor is dead. Looks like will need a head. This is a 207 motor on 580d. I have found a scrap 580b so my questions are,are the heads the same. Can i change to the 580b motor or is that more trouble than its worth. Dont use it much,but its nice to have when you need.
Welcome to HEF, norvel ! The 580B's have a 188 cid engine in them when they were new. Your 580D could have any one of two different heads on it depending if it is turbo charged or naturally aspirated. You should be able to find a head in a salvage yard.
Thank you Tinkerer,its a non turbo. Been looking,there kind of pricey for heads. Having found the scrapyard 580b,thats why i asked if the heads are the same on 188 and 207,or if i could change out to older motor.
The heads are not the same. The expensive head might not be that bad, if the 188 needs a major overhaul. What happened to the head ? Overheated and then cracked ? There are shops that specialize in repairing heads. I never was involved with downgrading a motor in a 580 such as you are contemplating.
I lent the backhoe to a guy,ristpin went bad,he kept running till both vales were missing from head,then i let it sit. Now i be paying for my sins. Head is cracked,beat up from pistion.
What a shame ! I thought you were needing the head only. That complete 188 motor should be an easy bolt in trade for the 207. If your 207 block is undamaged hang onto it. They are getting to be quite scarce to find at a reasonable price. It would be a good investment to rebuild it and put a reconditioned head on it. If it were mine, I certainly would rebuild it. A side note. ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ The casting number on any engine head is very important to have when looking for a replacement.
Thank you for the info. I still need to remove pistons ,sleeves to see how bad it be. Just looking at plan b and c. The 188 is worn out for sure,so when it warms up will tear down 207. I still have a d3b lgp and a pc80 track hoe. Wanted the front bucket on the case to move junk around shop. Well, no hurry,take my time and will fix it. You know your getting old when its all you can do to climb on a tractor. lol
Hey Norvel; I found a reman head on www.brokentractor.com for your engine check it out.
Thank you,i been looking at those.