Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Large backhoe $50k or less with the fewest emissions problems. What years should I be looking at?

Compression-Ignition · 2022-01-21 02:01

Looking for a big backhoe. Most of my seat time was in 4wd JD 410's, but IIRC I ran a couple other brands a time or two. I stopped running equipment at work many years ago, but I occasionally run a rental excavator, skid steer, or boom lift here and there. We are hoping to buy a piece of property soon and I have plenty of time on my hands, so I figure there is no reason to pay someone to do it. Though it will take me much, much longer to do it myself with 'the wrong' machine. This plan has been in the works for a few years, and I've looked at the prices of used machines semi-frequently. They seem to have gone up, but honestly not as bad as I thought they would have. To show you where I'm at, I'd love to get a JCB 4CX. But it seems kinda silly to pay 155k for a brand new machine with a few extra's. And seeing how there are no dealer/service centers anywhere near me that seems like somewhat of a poor choice. I've also contemplated a new CAT 450 as well. I've yet to get a quote on one, but my guess is it will be even higher. Which leaves me looking at machines of $50k or less. Arbitrary number that my wife and I settled on. I'm currently kind of sweet on this one https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/31675503/2009-caterpillar-450e-loader-backhoes 2009 Manufacturer CATERPILLAR Model 450E Hours 5,282 Serial Number 450EVEBL00165 Condition Used Stock Number 271 Description 4-IN-1 BKT, AUX HYD, Q/C, EXT HOE Wish it had a thumb. Couple extra grand for one of those? Since I know someone will ask, I'll be using it to push over a bunch of pine trees. I think the biggest one I saw was about 2' diameter, but most were under 18", probably the majority are smaller than a foot. It isn't too awful thick with them average spacing maybe 10' - 15'. I'll probably need to remove a good 200+ trees (some of those basically saplings) from 500 yards of road and a homesite clearing. I have months to do it. I have not ruled out a good sized excavator. Thanks for any help. Roy ETA: Cat C4.4 Diesel Engine. The Cat C4.4 engine meets all U.S. EPA Tier 3/ EU Stage III emissions requirements. <<<Got this off a 2007 450E CAT Specalog PDF In 2020 I just bought my first diesel rigs that have the DPF's on them, so I never paid much attention to all the EPA Tier stuff. I can't make heads or tails out of when what HP engines were required to have which devices on them. I just know somewhere around 2007 they started putting that stuff on everything, but some engines were able to put it off for a while longer. I'd just assume not have to worry about that extra bit of possible headache.

Replies185
  1. #1Swetz2022-01-21 07:05

    Ok, so here is my 2 cents You said that this will be only for personal use...that is big in the decision. You also speak to emission problems, another good item to have in your head. If it were me, I would get new completely out of your head for your intended use! You can buy quite a good machine for 50K. I personally would not even spend that much. A reliable lower hour machine of the 2000 year vintage would do you fine. For example, I purchased a 1999 New Holland 675E for $25K. Now this was just before Covid and the crap that is going on today, so it is prolly fetching somewhere around $35K now (just a guestimate). My machine does not have a computer controlled engine, and is easy for an owner to work on (you didn't state if you were going to maintain). My machine was stored indoors (until I purchased it ) and is clean. It has less than a thousand hours on it, and it shows (tight as can be). If you will not maintain it, and are ok with having to call for service ($$$), a later model will fit your bill. To me, another important factor in the decision is dealer service. You mentioned that you would like to purchase a JCB 4CX, but you lack the dealer support...keep that thought front of mind!! As far as brand, I am not loyal. The dealer service and proximity will win me over every time vs paint color! That stated, keep with the major brands. JD, Case, NH, etc. Stay away from little known backhoes...they all get older every day, and parts do dry up over time, and little known backhoe brands are not good at part supply, for the most part. You stated you have time, take that time to read and study each prospect. I actually purchased the manuals for the different machines that I was looking at when I purchased mine. I studied the manuals in order to inspect the units prior to purchase. In my case I have some backhoe mechanic experience. If that is not you, you need to find someone to inspect it and give you a report on the actual condition (not the salesman). Bottom line, do not rush, the rite machine will come along.

  2. #2aighead2022-01-21 07:17

    FWIW- @Spud_Monkey just bought a loader with an open erops, he's also in Montana and talking about enclosing the cab. I hear it gets cold up there. I'm totally with Swetz on this, other than I may consider renting an excavator with a thumb for a month to knock over your trees, then buy a sub $50k machine for the other fun projects you'll inevitably have. I watched an excavator knock down about 30 acres of pretty tightly packed big trees in a few days. Granted it was a big excavator but it seemed to do the job really well (despite my disappointment with the trees being taken out).

  3. #3Shimmy12022-01-21 09:00

    446B would be good machine. I'm not familiar with a 450E, but Tier 3 for sure doesn't have DEF, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have DPF or EGR either, so basically pre-emission.

  4. #4Compression-Ignition2022-01-21 10:24

    I do have time, but not enough time to sit on the decision until next winter. I'm not a mechanic, but I work on everything I own. I do not foresee ever taking it in to a dealer for regular maintenance. That will be all me. Matter of fact whatever I buy would most likely never leave the property again. Unless I get a small - medium size excavator. I'd probably end up selling that after a time and get into something else. Purchasing the manuals ahead of time sounds like a good idea. I was not sure about the inspection as it looks like I'd be buying something and have it shipped here. Figured I'd just have to ask questions and trust I'm getting the straight truth. It does get cold here, but I don't know that I can let that sway me. For the most part, I'd rather have something with a gobs of power, some weight behind it, versatility, long reach with the e-stick, and a dealer that is a little over an hour away (CAT). VS. settling for a little lower price and heat. Having said that, an enclosed cab is not an unappealing attribute I've been looking for years, but we are now almost to the point we are making the dream a reality and I have to get the decision pared down quick. I'm a newb I know. And I have browsed threads here in my past searches. But I gotta say, I already like this place. I'll have to look into the 446B, first time I've seen mention of that one. I forgot about EGR, not sure I like the engine re-ingesting it's offal. If a machine says Tier 3 or lower it most likely won't have those? Is this a place where I basically just have to RTFM to figure out what's going on inside the thing? I was hoping to get a year range pinned down first. Thanks for the replies fella's.

  5. #5aighead2022-01-21 10:29

    I've spent a lot of time in a lot of forums and the amount of nice folks, with tons of experience, here, is quite lovely.

  6. #6NH575E2022-01-21 10:29

    I know little to nothing about later model backhoes but I have read some absolute horror stories about some models with electronic controls. It seems the tractor market has prevented independents from accessing code readers and reset tools. Even if you have to pay someone to make repairs I think a pre-electronic control model in good repairable condition might be better for the home owner. The last thing I would want is a machine that won't work because it threw a code I couldn't troubleshoot and reset. On the subject of pre-emission I think pre-tier 4 would be a safe bet. My 98 New Holland is said to have an "emission" engine. I don't know what if any emission specific components it has but it can't be much. I haven't read of people having concerns or problems with tier 3 emission tractors. I personally think 45K for that CAT is over priced. The 4 in 1 bucket would be a plus though. If you find a decent deal on one with a quick attach, grapple, and root rake that would be a huge advantage for land clearing. I think such a tractor could be found within your budget. What are your mechanical abilities? If you are willing to do some repair and maintenance on your own you can buy a less expensive machine and bring it back to life if needed. What is your timeline for clearing the land? A large excavator would be a better machine for pushing over trees. Especially if there isn't a long distance between the parking place and work. Pine stumps can tap deep into the soil. If you have any large sweetgums be in for a challenge. You will still want a tractor for grading and other chores.

  7. #7aighead2022-01-21 10:41

    It makes me a little sad, but yup! I'm expecting a tractor here in around a month or so to do some of the stuff the backhoe isn't good at.

  8. #8Compression-Ignition2022-01-21 10:52

    What years in general are pre-electronic control? I have definitely been looking for something that is more of a package deal like you describe. But I've come to the conclusion that the perfect machine and deal is probably not going to just fall in my lap. I'll probably have to buy a few extra's. I'd like it to come with the multi-purpose 4 in 1 bucket. If I could get a thumb, compactor head, a root rake, forks, a 4' grading bucket, and a breaker. I'd be in heaven. But I figure the most I can hope for is the 4 in 1 bucket and maybe 1 of those things. Ideally the compactor. I could knock a few tree's down, process them and then come back and fill in the holes 1' at a time with the compactor. So I wouldn't be constantly changing the hoe's attachment out. As to the project machine....I pray that whatever I buy is relatively problem free. I can deal with the things that pop-up, but by no means do I need another 'project'. LOL. If something breaks it breaks and it just needs to be dealt with, but no way am in the position to be buying an already broken machine. I can not imagine what my wife would say. I'm giggling at the prospect A big (to me) 30 or 40 ton excavator would be sweet. I just spent last night envisioning how I would get it onto the property. Literally be a black op's night project as I'd have to travel a ways down a 20' wide county road in the woods and then cross an irrigation ditch with a ton of elevation change right off the road. Then dismantle a couple fences (they are simple-ish things though).

  9. #9NH575E2022-01-21 11:17

    Like I said, I don't know much about late model backhoes so I guess I shouldn't really chime in. I don't know when they went to electronic controls or what models may or may not have issues. Electronics can be a good thing if they work right. Having on board diagnostics and the ability to clear codes can be a good thing but so far I haven't seen anyone say their late model backhoe has those capabilities. I think pre tier 4 emissions is around 2015. I don't envy anyone shopping for a tractor these days. The market for used stuff seems to have gone crazy. I don't see much for sale at all in my area. Back when I bought mine it wasn't much better for a backhoe. I took a chance on a cheap machine off eBay and ended up with a project machine that has so far worked out okay for me.

  10. #10KSSS2022-01-21 11:22

    My first point would be to not even consider an open ROPS. I know your in a bit of a banana belt in the Bitterroot Valley, but it isn't banana belt enough for me to run an open cab anything. Even if you toughed it out running it, when the day comes to sell it, the market for an open cab in this part of the world is very small. The backhoe market appears to be relatively tight, especially if your looking for a large backhoe. I had a 2011 loaded up 590 SN, that I sold a couple years ago (no DEF, no DPF). Best backhoe I had ever run. I am trying to find another one as now I am back in the need and there is very little to look at. I really wish I had not let it go.

  11. #11Compression-Ignition2022-01-21 11:31

    If I get the right machine, I really don't plan to ever sell. I had this 590 in my open tabs https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/209302755/2016-case-590-loader-backhoes Year 2016 Manufacturer CASE Model 590 Hours 7,016 Serial Number CFC724277 Condition Used Stock Number UM08545 Description Equipment-certification-code: NCR

  12. #12Compression-Ignition2022-01-21 11:33

    Dumb question. I am really only looking at CAT, CASE, and JD. Are these all SAE (old JD) controls? I always called them JD controls. I only recently in the last few years read about ISO and SAE. And if they aren't SAE they are all easily switchable?

  13. #13Swetz2022-01-21 12:53

    I didn't even think to mention options, but reading NH575E's response, I thought I would mention that for the work that you spelled out, a thumb on the backhoe would be a wonderful addition. There are several types of thumbs. Some use the hydraulics from the machine and are a bit complicated to add. Others use the linkage to actuate. Still others are fixed. I think it is safe to say that as a priority, I would look for a backhoe with a hydraulic thumb, and it it cannot be found settle for the linkage type. If neither are available, the fixed does work, just is not as handy. BTW, these can be added, however, they aint cheap! When i bought my machine, I really did not care about a cab. The guys on here talked me into the importance. I am glad it has a cab. Just imagine clearing and you hit a bee/wasp nest. Those suckers will sting the heck out of you in an open cab. In the cab tractor, you can stick your tongue out at them...LOL

  14. #14NH575E2022-01-21 13:18

    I can't believe I haven't dug up a yellow jacket nest but I have had a few single bees get into my cab. My door seals are a little loose and windows are zip tied closed. Those are usually just looking for a good way out but they never seem to find it before I kill them. You Tube is a good place to review different options and see how they work. You may also get some pricing ideas there. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=backhoe+for+sale Probably need to look into shipping rates also to judge how far away is reasonable. Back when I bought mine rates were running $2 a mile. I bet they are double or more now.

  15. #15KSSS2022-01-21 16:32

    Speaking of the pilot controlled machines, I know that the CASE machines are switchable from ISO to SAE by flipping a switch, I think that CAT and JD do the same thing. If they are not pilot and are stick controlled on the CASE machines you can rotate from 4 stick to wooble stick, I believe the wooble sticks come in SAE, but maybe they can be set up to be ISO, but of that I am not sure. Perhaps for what your doing it doesn't matter, but when everything else you have is pilot or EH, having a pilot controlled BH is really nice. The 590SN that I had was really quick and smooth with low effort at the controls, much like everything we have. Finding a BH with thumb on it already, may not be easy. There is a new 590SN with a thumb on it at the dealer here, when to get a price on it today and it was sold already.

  16. #16Compression-Ignition2022-01-21 19:29

    Exactly. So haggling is basically a thing of the past. Everything just sells, and sells right now.

  17. #17aighead2022-01-22 09:08

    I haven't messed with pilot controls at all but from the look of it they seem like they'd be lovely. I spend a fair amount of time hunched over the sticks and I feel like I've got a very good feel for them but it'd be interesting to try pilot. Not interesting enough to go for a $30k upgrade for me though!

  18. #18T-town2022-01-22 09:49

    Have yet to have that experience..... but I do notice the Monarchs are attracted to JD yellow.... must think I'm a patch of goldenrod? I'll second the emotion on the cab.... With that budget you should be able to find something to meet your needs. Good luck!

  19. #19gasifier2022-01-25 19:53

    HVAC cab! HVAC cab! HVAC cab!

  20. #20_Weldman_2022-01-25 21:29

    Sound like me getting this 25 ton crawler loader home, a few bridge weight limit signs disappeared on the route, 50 miles of rock road and last three miles had to unload it to drive it up the ridge which I managed to push couple trees over too.

  21. #21AzIron2022-01-25 23:03

    450 suck the e series really sucked 446b solid and slow have owned 4 own one currently never let's me down simple to work on all mechanical 450 or 446 is a lot bigger than a 410 or 590 446 sells kinda cheap comparably to any thing else Used backhoes have gone up about 35 to g 40 percent according to ritchies in the last year I would wait about 6 to 9 months they might be on a fire sale

  22. #22Willie B2022-01-26 07:57

    If you will not move it after it is delivered, you want a BIG tractor. Only excuse for a little tractor is you can't move it with a small truck or trailer. I've had a John Deere 410, Case 580K, Case 580K in cream puff condition, JD 410C, & now 2014 Case 580 Super N. The newest is nicest, & if I were totally deaf, I'd love it. It's old enough to be pre DEF, but not old enough to be pre computer. It screams at me for everything! It alarms because the fuel sensor inside the tank isn't always right, move suddenly it loses signal. The seat must be latched, but not always. A water at fuel filter sensor alarms constantly, sensor is bad. These parts have been on back order since September. I had a recurring service alarm, I bought an on line operator's manual to learn how to reset that. It has had two engine oil & filter changes since September, but the computer needs to be told. Parking brake alarm is constant. It alarms if the brake isn't set, it alarms when the brake is set. Sometimes it alarms seemingly without reason. Also, when I bought it it was a problem getting into first gear. Dear God! the alarms from that! It lived at the dealer more than two weeks, they used it as a wheelbarrow, assured me that was resolved. Now it shifts, but occasionally alarms anyway. Each machine will have its qualities, and weak points. I rate condition as most critical. Older John Deere are smoothest with back hoe operation, but I've not had a good experience with parts availability. I owned my first JD when the internet wasn't much, & people who understand early JD hydraulics are few. Case is a great machine, but hoe hydraulics are very jerky. Never owned a Cat, but they are HEAVY to be hauled behind smaller trucks.

  23. #23Willie B2022-01-26 08:00

    I think Cat come with ISO controls. Newer pilot control machines have pattern switch. Older hydraulic control machines have (in some cases) pattern conversion valves.

  24. #24Willie B2022-01-27 22:18

    Many of the older Case backhoes are three lever/foot swing. Extend a hoe models got an extra lever. I might learn to use multi lever, foot swing is NOT going to fly with me! You'll smash buildings & trucks, maybe a person now & again.

  25. #25hseII2022-02-02 20:05

    I thought all backhoes had foot swing & nonexistent brakes till I left home for college. grandad had a pair of 580Cs that he eventually traded out of & then a 580 Super L. A good operator will get the swing with his feet down pat with practice. 3-4 stick? Those C model extenda hoes had about 8. Granddad’s fingers were big as pool cues on the big end from running them too.

  26. #26Willie B2022-02-02 21:10

    I am not a fan. My brain says swing, when I'm done swinging lift foot. Case says counter with my other foot. The two hydraulic Case hoes had a weird quirk, finish other functions, the swing speeds up. Combine that with a tricky swing control, somebody is going to get hurt.

  27. #27Tinkerer2022-02-02 21:49

    I ran a Case 590 for a contractor I was working for. The foot pedal swing was stupid fast and impossible to stop softly. Very dangerous for any laborers to get near. Engine rpms were not the problem. My old 680CK is the opposite. Very easy to control and stops swinging very softly.

  28. #28NH575E2022-02-03 09:26

    Before buying my backhoe I rented a Bobcat mini ex with pilot controls. It had a switch to change pattern. I found it to be very linear, comfortable, and easy to control. Would love to have it on my hoe. My left lever controls swing and lift and is much more sensitive than the curl and crowd lever. I can't imagine trying to control swing by a foot pedal.

  29. #29Willie B2022-02-04 08:39

    Some have a swing sequence valve that reduces flow at end of swing. When it works well, linkage senses when you are near the stop & reduces flow to nearly nothing. When they were in production some models you could add flow restrictors in the swing hoses to slow swing. They are NLA.

  30. #30Compression-Ignition2022-02-11 20:41

    Well I may just concede and rent a good size excavator. I really really don't want to throw money away renting, but I think that's where we are going to be at. But I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a deal. If anyone runs across something that looks like it would be a good machine for me, feel free to drop a link in here. Thanks for the help here fella's.

  31. #31Tinkerer2022-02-11 22:23

    You didn't say how many 2 foot diameter trees you need to get on the ground. Renting an excavator is a good decision if you have very many of them. IMHO. You didn't say what you are still looking for in your last post. Excavator or T/L/B ? Take your time looking, and the right machine will eventually show up. For what its worth, I installed a decent hydraulic thumb on my t/l/b for less than $800.00. But, you can spend 2 or 3 thousand on one. Depends on the style and brand name.

  32. #32Compression-Ignition2022-02-11 22:56

    I would prefer to find a good size 4wd backhoe. Extend a hoe A thumb 4 in 1 front bucket And enclosed cab I think I should be able to get everything but the thumb on the initial purchase, given enough time to find the right deal. I did a shipping estimate for a 19,000lb machine and it was about 5 grand from Michigan to Western Montana. So I may have to budget in at least that much. I just might not have access to enough cash to get everything I want done in the time frame I've got. So renting looks like the ticket for now. I'm going to make a bunch of calls to rental places and see what kinda money I'm looking at. I've tentatively budgeted 20k for 3 - 4 months. I honestly don't know how many 2' diameter trees, 15 - 35 maybe. Depends on where we put everything. Our offer was just accepted recently and it'll still be a little while before I can get out there to flag and paint the crap out of it.

  33. #33aighead2022-02-12 15:52

    I haven't used either but if you find a 4 in 1 the thumb may be less needed, as it kind of acts as a thumb. Good luck on your search, I think the excavator rental is a good idea.

  34. #34NH575E2022-02-12 19:37

    I can say that adding a thumb was THE best addition to my backhoe. Mine is a weld on mechanical that is left positioned in the 90 degree setting. I use it every time I dig. In my opinion you are still going to want a tractor for mowing, grading, and moving stuff around. Adding a grapple to a tractor loader is not that much trouble. Having to change machines to do different tasks becomes second nature. Of course if you find a backhoe with a quick release 4 in 1 would be all that much better but never going to replace the need for a tractor.

  35. #35Tinkerer2022-02-12 20:09

    25 trees that size --- I would cut them off close to the ground with a chainsaw and have someone grind the stumps. It sure wouldn't take long with a decent size saw. The money saved could be applied to the T/L/B purchase. In the image is a white oak I cut up 2 weeks ago.

  36. #36Compression-Ignition2022-02-12 21:55

    I have to build a long driveway and an area for a homesite and shop. I can't be leaving all of that mess under the ground. All the stumps and the majority of the roots will get pulled and thrown in a corner of the property to be burned and some buried on and near a steep slope that I can't do anything with anyway. Shooting berm is what I was thinking. Also I do not have anywhere near an accurate count on the larger trees. I've been out near the property a bunch, and I have peered in from the edges quite a bit. But I've only walked it twice. Both times with my small children, one of the times the snow was 2 foot deep. Not really conducive to coming up with a hard final game plan while you are carrying a 10 month old in a pack on your back and a 3 year old on your neck. Not that big a piece of land (650'x1250'), but still a lot to look at.

  37. #37terex herder2022-02-12 22:58

    When you say big, are you thinking 410 deere size, or 710? For simplicity, its hard to beat direct controls.

  38. #38Willie B2022-02-13 08:52

    I have a Case 580 Super N. It's an earlier model, before Case offered a thumb as an option. I've been hoping to find this model thumb equipped, just to measure & photograph. I've built a couple thumbs before, I'll build another. They are nearly as scarce as chicken teeth. Used backhoes equipped with a thumb are rare. You might as well accept that you have to add your own thumb. Mine came to me with hydraulics for a hammer, or tamper, not two way hydraulics. It seems it is very involved to convert. As for trees, you'll find it easy to push with the hoe as high as you can reach. A tree trunk makes a Hell of a lever! If the tree is too big, you'll have to tear out some of the roots first. DO NOT use this method on dead trees, or trees with other dead trees nearby. Those trees, I pull down with a very long cable, or winch.

  39. #39Compression-Ignition2022-02-13 12:51

    I'll look at anything really, but I guess I just want some weight and grunt behind it. Also the larger backhoes usually have bigger front tires, which will lend to getting more traction. A well maintained hoe, with an open cab, without too much emissions stuff (no matter the year), deep tread on the tires, a 4 in 1 front bucket, and an extendahoe. Will definitely trump (for me anyway) A newer hoe, with an enclosed cab, all the dpf garbage (I fully admit faults in this/these systems worry me), all the bells and whistles (radio, heat, etc.), a standard front bucket, and a non-extendable hoe. I could make some changes to my preferences if the deal had a grading bucket for the hoe or maybe a compactor or hammer.

  40. #40Compression-Ignition2022-02-13 12:54

    I have wondered if I might end up needing to use a winch to help get these trees to go the right way. I had not thought very much about dead trees. I mean I'd given it a little thought, but not much in the safety realm. Thanks for the heads up, I will keep that in mind.

  41. #41T-town2022-02-13 14:03

    I've been dropping live and dead the same way... cut thru roots on the opposite side of fall direction, and then reach up and push with the hoe. I do have a fully enclosed cab... and would not do it without. Also, I wear a hard hat and safety glasses inside. The only issue I've had is trying to get the machine in the right spot. Much easier on the machine as compared to dropping the tree with a saw then plugging away on the rootball. Though, my trees are all 12 to 18"......or smaller. Have yet to try this on a big one. I did have the property logged at the beginning of my project.... and clear cut on those areas I needed opened up. Then payed a guy to show up with his big dozer and he popped those stumps out as easy as digging potatoes. Takes quite a bit of time and a lot of digging to get a stump out from a big tree thats been cut.... lot to said for the lever action of the tree itself..... and of course,.... "gravity works". Species of tree can also play a part.... mass of root stock etc.

  42. #42AzIron2022-02-13 16:53

    A quick look thru machinery trader shows some jd 710 d and g series in or below you budget that's the biggest backhoe you could get so if that wouldn't fit tour needs nothing in the backhoe real would

  43. #43Willie B2022-02-13 17:22

    A very nice machine with your whole wish list in Mass. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/211242439/2013-case-580sn-loader-backhoes

  44. #44skyking12022-02-13 17:58

    I read some of the posts, I have a general idea of your requirements (read that in the Judge Wopner voice) First, Cab YES YES YES! Second, Do not get a horking big backhoe because trees. Somebody mentioned rent an excavator a month. Rent a big enough one for a week and a guy who knows what to do with it, and he could lay down, stump and deck a ton of your property. Then you can deal with logs or whatever with any decent hoe. Now let's say you have a tree or two that need to go, long after the excavator is gone. Fall it or pay a feller, and dig out the stump with your hoe. A regular backhoe will dig out a big arsed stump and you said you had time. Don't think a big backhoe will keep you on this earth if a widowmaker has other plans for you.

  45. #45Compression-Ignition2022-02-13 21:18

    Not a single one with a 4 in 1 bucket though. I can't stretch the budget that high in the time frame I have. The big backhoe has nothing to do with a tree falling on me. I just want it to have enough ass to do what I need it to do. I also want a ton of reach so I don't have to move the machine as much. The plan is to not pay anyone to do much of anything out there. I care for and homeschool our children during the day. Every evening for the next oh I don't know....forever, I'll be working on the property.

  46. #46Clawed Backster2022-02-13 21:25

    I, for one, can certainly understand your desire for a large backhoe to deal with trees. I primarily use my Ford 555 for cutting firewood, and it seems very small and wimpy at times. I fantasize about a 710G, as I believe the size would fit my needs (but not my budget) much better. And no, it's not because my machine is old and well worn. It is just too small and light to deal effectively with large trees. I do have a hydraulic thumb on mine, and I can't even imagine trying to deal with trees without one. My $.02 on the matter.

  47. #47Willie B2022-02-14 07:44

    Full sized backhoes are bought new by contractors, and rental companies. It's pretty rare it is their primary machine. When they are sold, it's sometimes land owners who buy. I'm of the opinion that the only reason to go smaller with these machines is hauling it. Lots of people haul them behind a Ford 550 sized truck & don't want a 710 sized machine for that reason. The big ones seem to sell cheaper than smaller in the used market.

  48. #48Compression-Ignition2022-02-14 16:47

    Needs tires and it's leaking some. https://catused.cat.com/en/construc...0-e/d31c0746-26cc-439c-bc13-da2873ec79f6.html DETAILS Accessories RIDE CONTROL Additional Information BATTERY, HEAVY DUTY ANTIFREEZE, -50C (-58F) BUCKET, MP 1.3 CYD COUNTERWEIGHT, 1075 LBS S/N 000010051142 PARTS BOOK, PAPER MANUALS, ENGLISH ENG S/N C4E07550 BELT, SEAT, 2" SUSPENSION TIRES 4WD COMBINATION MI/FS LINES, COMBINED AUX, E-STICK PINS, SPARE S/N 7LW04926 INSTRUCTIONS, ANSI S/N DJ10052327 BUCKET, 48" 13.0 CFT DC THUMB, HYDRAULIC ARR, W/O TINE DOMESTIC TRUCK THUMB, TINE, A 3 STABILIZER PADS,FLIP W/GUARD E-STICK POWERTRAIN,93 HP,4WD,STD SHIFT HYDRAULICS, BH, 6 FUNCTION HEATER, ENGINE COOLANT, 120V CAB, DELUXE W/AC https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Ca...mYWM4YzQ4MTA0YzM0NDJkZTBlMSYkdHh0PSUyMCY4ODM= https://www.ncmachinery.com/cat_used_equipments/1332337

  49. #49Compression-Ignition2022-04-12 12:52

    Looks just about perfect! Anyone want to give me their opinion? https://cosprings.craigslist.org/hvo/d/lake-george-2009-john-deere-410j-4x4/7462075619.html I just called and left the guy a message. I'll be down Colorado next week visiting family a few hours south of there and I could swing by and give this thing a once over. It's a ways away, and I'm sure it'd cost me $4000 + to have it shipped up here, but this might be the deal I been waiting for. Are my eyes glazed over, or should I jump on this?!

  50. #50aighead2022-04-12 14:10

    That's a pretty machine! I'm assuming decent price for it too? And pre-emission? Woo!

  51. #51Compression-Ignition2022-04-12 16:01

    He's asking $59,500. I've seen older and much lesser machines listed for more in my area. If it'll keep I think I'm going to pay his asking price as long as it looks and runs good when I get there.

  52. #52Willie B2022-04-12 20:24

    Step back & think. As an example, my Case has 1/2 the hours, 5 years newer, I paid 55. I'd pay $4000 for the thumb.

  53. #53Steve Favia2022-04-12 21:04

    That looks really nice!

  54. #54Legdoc2022-04-12 21:36

    CASE 580M no electronics or emission BS. Typical crap paint on all gray areas.

  55. #55jimg9842022-04-12 23:03

    LOTS OF SMOKE LOL

  56. #56jimg9842022-04-12 23:06
  57. #57aighead2022-04-13 06:53

    I don't know if Craigslist is the same where you are but I was amazed at the amount of what seemed to be scammers of some variety trying to sell fake backhoes. Hopefully, you've actually reached a real person and if you are meeting them somewhere you don't take any real money to that meeting. That's a lot of money for a pretty nice machine. On a kind of similar note my FIL just bought Ohio George's Case backhoe, with 400ish hours on it, for 18k! It's very clean and looks like it could be flipped for at least double that.

  58. #58Swetz2022-04-13 08:02

    My New Holland 675E was a craigslist find. You just have to be careful. The real scams are priced so low that it is literally too good to be true. I paid the seller with a cashiers check just before the hauler put it on the trailer. I got a bill of sale, and the owner had the original purchase receipt from the dealer, that he gave me.

  59. #59Willie B2022-04-13 08:19

    Scams are a single photo of a near new machine. Photo is of a Case 580 Super N. Text will say Case 580. Typically there will be errors in grammar used. They show & describe a 5 year old machine with 500 hours on it for $20,000. Seller is always 500 miles away from where the machine is located.

  60. #60Swetz2022-04-13 08:57

    And you forgot...it will have brand new BF Goodrich all terrain tires on it...LOL. I have seen that many times honestly. They also put a bunch of characters (picture text) in the text sometimes.

  61. #61NH575E2022-04-13 09:48

    Looks like it's got everything on your list of wants. Might ask or look to see if there are signs of cylinder repair. I don't know if cylinders have a life expectancy on seals.

  62. #62Compression-Ignition2022-04-13 10:47

    I'm not taking any money with me. I'll just be inspecting the machine. We won't truly come to a deal until I figure out the transportation end. I suppose it could be a scam, but I don't know what you get out of having a guy come out to your property to try your machine out? Guy says he bought it about 8 months ago, but was recently in a bad car wreck that changed all of his priorities. Says he's the 2nd owner.

  63. #63Compression-Ignition2022-04-13 11:03

    Any tips on what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I was just going to check everything for function. Watch for any sloppiness. Look for any leaks. Look for anything freshly painted. I am not a mechanic, but will do all the maintenance I'm able to do. It's about a 3 hour drive I was planning on leaving about 4am and then spend an hour or so with the backhoe (whatever it takes really). This trip to Colorado isn't about the machine, but if I can kill 2 birds with one stone all the better. Maybe I'll see if my cousin or uncle can spare the time to ride up and look at it with me. They are cattle ranchers and have tons of equipment experience. I kinda doubt they know much more about backhoes than I do, but an extra set of eyes wouldn't hurt. They're busy guys though.

  64. #64Swetz2022-04-13 11:04

    I personally doubt it is a scam if you talked to him. The scammers usually just want you to wire them money. I say proceed with caution. If you get there and he looks fine (like he wasn't banged up in an accident), then I might think twice about it. As I said previously, most of my craigslist dealings were awesome!

  65. #65JBrady2022-04-13 12:03

    Good luck with the machine, it looks really nice. A former forest service machine could be a plus or a detriment. If it was used in fire service, I'd be cautious. Sometimes, they are just building fire breaks, but other times they are right out there in the fire.

  66. #66KSSS2022-04-13 12:32

    I bought a 590 SN from a CAT dealer in Mn. four years ago. I had the CASE dealer go there and go over the machine. Cost me $500 but it gave me confidence that I wasn't buying a problem machine. Come to find out Titan had pissed off the customer and he traded his 5-590's in for CAT, the machine was fine, their relationship was not. The 590 SN was a great machine, I fixed a couple small hoses but other than that it was ready for work. and I put 2K hours on it without issue before I sold it (mistake on my part). The moral of the story it may be worth having Deere come and go through it before you write the check. Your not that familiar with Deere's backhoe and things you should look at, you should probably hire someone to help you. Your getting the machine at a decent number anyway, it would be worth the extra money, at least to me it would.

  67. #67NH575E2022-04-13 13:24

    Probably the best advice ever for something this expensive and far away.

  68. #68Compression-Ignition2022-04-13 14:13

    I think you're right. I just setup an inspection through a local John Deere dealer. Most of the charge will be drive time as it's roughly an hour each way, but like you said, worth it. The field service coordinator looked at the ad while we spoke on the phone and said it looked fairly priced.

  69. #69aighead2022-04-13 14:42

    I doubt it's a scam either for the reasons mentioned above, I just wanted to throw out a word of caution, especially with big bucks like that. Good luck, I hope it turns out to be the machine it looks like!

  70. #70Willie B2022-04-13 17:22

    My Case 580 Super N last September was a low hour machine with a few flaws in the paint job, worn out bolt on cutting edge, & a rear tire was cut. It was a used car dealer & he talked of another bigger lot nearby where he sold used cars & construction machinery. It isn't uncommon to see this sort of machine bought by companies with numerous machines & used mostly as a loader. Back bucket, like all Case machines was rusty, showing zero wear. Teeth were old but scratch free. The lot was too small to move around much at all. It was beside a busy highway. I wasn't aware it wouldn't go into 1st gear. I got home, unloaded it from the trailer & codes started to flash! The Case dealer is a few miles from the used car dealer I bought it from. They were all too familiar with the sleazy car dealer who sold it to me. ALL issues are electrical or computer. Alarms are fuel water sensor fail. Not water, but sensor fail. Fuel gauge sending unit in tank drops out of the circuit frequently. Engine service needs attention. Despite servicing the engine twice since September, I haven't figured out how to reset it. Case dealer used it as a go cart 15 days, said it wouldn't go into first gear at first, but the problem solved itself with use. All the alarms, it is unnerving! Just received the back ordered parts.

  71. #71Clawed Backster2022-04-13 20:10

    Slightly off topic, but as far as Craigslist deals go, if I have ANY suspicions I will only meet the seller in a very public place. And I always open carry.

  72. #72Willie B2022-04-13 20:27

    Crossing state lines, that might not be the best plan. Sellers want your dollars, I've never had one want to rape me. I can't say I've ever felt threatened by a seller. Some do want to cheat me. Seth & I drove, I remember it as 11 hours round trip to buy a Case 580 Super M. To understate, the advertisement was deceptive. It did have both front & rear buckets NEW. It looked to have a bit of rust. It proved to be a total rust out, more tape & paint than steel. The floor in the cab was completely gone, I could see the ground. It was on the charger when we arrived, but wouldn't start. It had NO brakes. The seller assured me "No backhoe has brakes." I insisted on taking it outdoors, he resisted, then played deaf. I opened the doors & drove it out scaring myself half to death, no brakes & no hydraulic function. This hog was as near useless as I'd have thought possible! Always up for a project, I offered $16,000. he countered with $22,000. I drove home disappointed, but I hadn't driven the big truck & trailer all that way. It turns out the seller had numerous first names, dozens of tractors to sell in similar condition. On the phone he is always the same French Canadian voice, photos ALWAYS same location. He's very near the Canadian border in ?Malone? NY. A total sleaze ball.

  73. #73joe--h2022-04-14 22:00

    Here's another, less hours but doesn't look as nice. https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=A1QSCI22096701 13 bids to $42K with 10 days left. It's closer though. Joe H

  74. #74Compression-Ignition2022-04-14 23:44

    That looks good too, but less of a sure thing. 13 bidders....somebody is going to want it more than me and then I might miss out on this other deal. Our of curiosity, what do they mean "switched to CAT hydraulics". Are they referring to the actual hydraulic system or the pattern/controls, ISO vs. SAE.

  75. #75Willie B2022-04-15 06:52

    Newer machines with pilot controls usually have aa switch to go ISO or SAE control pattern. Cat machines ALL have ISO control pattern. If pattern changer equipped, no issue. Many operators are accustomed to one pattern & prefer it. Difference is boom & dipper switch hands. I CAN run ISO, but am more comfortable with SAE. Those who cut their teeth on CAT equipment like ISO. I drive my wife's car, she is amused at me unconsciously reaching for the transmission control lever at the wheel, hers is on the console. Either pattern wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I would avoid any variation of the three lever/foot swing control still being used on some Case machines. There are a few old operators still choosing it. I bought one used & just couldn't get used to it. I converted it to joystick control & used it 14 years.

  76. #76Compression-Ignition2022-04-30 10:09

    Current bid.... $85,600

  77. #77Squire2022-05-01 08:18
  78. #78Finca SDR2022-05-01 21:15

    Maybe I don't need to be chiming in here but can't you find a good hoe for less than 60k? I know I got a couple old hoes, a 97 and a 2000 for under 30k for the two of them together (not at the same time). And they run, sometimes they break, but usually not and they seem to be easier and cheaper to fix than the newer ones. Just weld them up and keep going. And new hoes break too! And it seems like they're more expensive to fix. I watch my colleagues having a tough time with that. Anyways been watching this thread for a while and couldn't resist asking the question any longer.

  79. #79Squire2022-05-01 21:28

    A case is a great machine, but hoe hydraulics are very jerky. Never owned a Cat, but they are HEAVY to be hauled behind smaller trucks.[/QUOTE] I can attest to the jerkiness of their BH bucket movements. Figured it was due to en longed pin hole usage & poor maintenance. She was a rental that was well kept but used hard you would think

  80. #80Willie B2022-05-02 07:25

    I can attest to the jerkiness of their BH bucket movements. Figured it was due to en longed pin hole usage & poor maintenance. She was a rental that was well kept but used hard you would think[/QUOTE] The two rental companies I have experience with don't do lubrication at all. Machines get sloppy. Only when they won't function, do they get attention. Case 580K was not exactly jerky, its plumbing gave priority to the first functions in the valve bank. Very common to use three functions at once. Digging, you curl the bucket, crowd the dipper, raise the boom. When the bucket clears the ground, you begin the swing. As the other functions are released, a surge of oil hits the swing valve & swing takes off suddenly. This is not the case with pilot controlled machines & my 580Super N is the smoothest hoe I've ever run. Even 580K (1988) took steps to correct the trait. Later models had flow restrictors in the swing valve ports & some had bigger cylinders requiring more oil to move, slowing the swing. The worst in my opinion were the foot swing models. I wouldn't want to thread a needle or other very dexterity needed activity with my feet. Foot swing requires both feet to initiate, then feather off the swing. I don't like that.

  81. #81joe--h2022-05-02 11:50

    Looks like Compressionignition went to Colorado and never returned. End of story? Joe H

  82. #82Compression-Ignition2022-05-02 11:59

    4Rivers Equipment found an ear broken off on the transmission. So it was essentially being held on/up by 3 out of 4 ears. The case was $5000 and back ordered to boot. The work if performed by the shop was over 12k. The guy had someone else coming to look at it the next day. I asked him to call me if the guy didn't take it so I could make my offer, but I never heard back. I'm about to spend the morning calling rental places.

  83. #83NH575E2022-05-02 12:37

    Wow! Good thing you had it checked out!

  84. #84joe--h2022-05-02 18:53

    Thanks for the update. Was seller aware of the damage? Joe H

  85. #85Compression-Ignition2022-05-02 23:07

    He told me he wasn't....

  86. #86Compression-Ignition2022-05-02 23:27

    I'm looking at this one really hard. https://www.mideastequip.com/for-sale/2014-caterpillar-430f-it-backhoe-11269612 Comes with a hammer and an aggregate crusher. The original property we were looking at didn't work out, and the one we have secured has quite a bit of bedrock under it. I definitely need to hammer through some of it so that the driveway can have a more gradual grade than what is currently there. I figure if it works out the aggregate crusher that comes with the machine could end up saving me a little scratch in gravel costs. I called the company that makes the unit, and to refurbish it would only cost about 5k. A new crusher is 40k, so seems like a safe bet. Local rentals that have a hammer are slim pickings. I got a quote of nearly 17k to rent a CAT 323 with a hammer for a month. I'd rather risk it on a used machine and hope it treats me well and needs nothing. It has new front tires and everything works. Guy is 65 and arthritis is slowing him down deciding to move it along. They lowered the price from 77k recently. If this were for sale near me, they would be asking 90k I bet. It does have 6000 hours, but I'm pretty much tired of looking. If it doesn't cost more than 10 grand to get it over here I think I'm gonna buy it.

  87. #87NH575E2022-05-03 01:08

    You're getting way over your original price range. I bet that hammer action does a number on wear and tear. I would think long and hard about that and definitely have a professional look it over. That just saved your ass on the other deal.

  88. #88aighead2022-05-03 06:27

    $70k? And 6000+ hours? My heart!

  89. #89Swetz2022-05-03 06:47

    $70k + $10k to ship, and then $5k to overhaul the crusher. I cant help but think that for that money you could pay someone to do the work, and have enough money left over to buy a 30 pack of beer to drink while you watch them work! As most of us here know, when you buy a used machine, there is always money to spend on it getting it back to 100, or at least 90%. You wouldn't know what that is until you start to use it and find the quirks. As NH575E said, if they used this machine for extended periods with the breaker banging away, there is a good chance the bushings are shot in the hoe. Also as NH575E said....spend the $$ and have it checked out!

  90. #90Willie B2022-05-03 07:32

    It's a lot of money for a 6000 hour machine. Hammer might mean it has taken a real beating, or it could mean it has received extra care, more frequent lubrication. It isn't hours that kill a machine, it's neglected maintenance.

  91. #91csthompson122022-05-03 08:29

    32k for this machine in PA. 4300 hr New Holland 115 with pilot controls.

  92. #92csthompson122022-05-03 09:00

    I see your a long ways from PA though

  93. #93Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 11:44

    The machine was used primarily on one little island in the state of Rhode Island. The guy would use the hammer on say a foundation or driveway and then crush it and reuse it on site. I honestly think the other Machine I looked at in Colorado would have been just fine. The way the ear was broken it still had some holding force. The casting could have cracked at install and then busted off after delivery. The rust may have been there for the last 13 years. I just couldn't see paying what he was asking after I found out about the transmission housing. All used things come with some amount of risk. Having them look at the machine could have cost me the $750 plus a deal on a machine that I think would have worked well for me.

  94. #94Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 11:47

    Machines here around me that I could go check out in person say within a 5 hour drive are $60,000 plus for something with 3500-7000 hours on it. They will usually not have any extra's, like a combination front bucket or a thumb.

  95. #95Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 11:54

    I do not think the crusher needs to be overhauled. I just called and got the information so I had an idea of what it might cost me. Sure I could pay someone. But then I won't have a swiss army knife piece of equipment that I own will I. Septic system Tree removal Road building Pad prep for a home and then a shop Snow removal Irrigation Load and unload trailers Makeshift hoist Future projects I haven't even thought of If I lost an engine or trans in this thing I'll still be money ahead of paying someone to do all the work I have planned.

  96. #96Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 11:55

    They say it has been well maintained. I'm about to do a facetime call/inspection deal in just a few minutes.

  97. #97Willie B2022-05-03 12:00

    As I've said, my 2014 Case 580 Super N cost $55000. last fall. I had some issues with all the computer controlled components. Mine was right at 2000 hours. Front bucket had some wear, the cutting edge had been turned around, both edges were worn out. I'd guess moving snow. Rear bucket had nearly no wear.

  98. #98Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 12:31

    Just got done with the call. Machine looks good. They ran some concrete through the crusher. Actually went a little faster than I thought. They were only crushing down to 3" minus though. He only had to replace the top plate on the crusher once so far in 8 years. For some reason I thought it wasn't an E-Stick (extend a hoe) but it is. Point is in great shape on the hammer guy said it's a bit of a chore to replace that, but it's good to go for a long while. Quote to ship the machine is just under 10k so that's it....done. Oh bonus, no DEF. Still has the DPF and emissions garbage, but I'm glad to see I won't have to put DEF in it.

  99. #99Swetz2022-05-03 12:31

    Trust me, I know what you mean...I have no intention of selling my machine any time soon. Good...let us know how you make out!

  100. #100Swetz2022-05-03 12:35

    I have no personal experience, but the guys on here say the DPF isnt that bad, just do not idle the machine too much. Sounds like you are going for it.

  101. #101Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 12:36

    So I'll be looking for a 4 in 1 front bucket now. Where should I focus my efforts in searching for one of those? And I guess I'll kick around looking for a thumb as well.

  102. #102Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 12:39

    I have some DPF catalyst stuff I run in my diesel pickup and diesel Jeep, helps with burning everything off, I'll be utilizing that in the 430. Yep going for it. I could look all year and still have misgivings about every machine I find. I need a machine now, and this seems like a decent deal.

  103. #103Swetz2022-05-03 12:47

    Great! Good luck with it!!

  104. #104aighead2022-05-03 13:48

    Would you need both 4 in 1 and a hoe bucket fork? Congratulations on going for it!

  105. #105Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 13:57

    I think for the forks I would use them so seldom I'll probably just do some clamp on jobs. But if I find that perfect 4 in 1 bucket used with the flip over forks I don't think I'd turn it down. They just seem to mess with visibility a bit. And these years/models of CAT backhoe seem to have great visibility.

  106. #106edgephoto2022-05-03 20:03

    There is a seller on eBay that always has tons of buckets. He is in RI, not far from that machine you bought. Maybe he has one. The truck could haul it back for you. https://www.ebay.com/str/autocarcrazy

  107. #107Compression-Ignition2022-05-03 21:25

    Doesn't look like he has one. I got my local CAT guy looking around for me.

  108. #108aighead2022-05-04 06:19

    I meant thumb... sorry!

  109. #109Compression-Ignition2022-05-04 11:22

    No I don't think I'd need both, but if the price were right, why not. Both the 4 in 1 and thumb would come in handy. I think the thumb would be a little more so.

  110. #110Compression-Ignition2022-05-04 15:53

    Sticker shock here, quote came in.... $5560 for the thumb $7053 4 in 1 bucket Are these ridiculous prices? Realistically would I be paying at least half that for used? Sales guy wants to know if he should put my name on the thumb as it's in stock.

  111. #111Swetz2022-05-04 16:01

    Does the thumb come with hydraulics? I purchased an Amulet hoe clamp thumb for about $3k about a year ago. I got it from here: https://equipmentland.com/product/amulet-hoeclamp/

  112. #112Compression-Ignition2022-05-05 01:09

    Missed this post. The only older backhoes I seem to find are beat to death or way way over priced. I've asked around locally and nobody wants to sell what they have.

  113. #113KSSS2022-05-05 01:26

    Did you buy the Cat?

  114. #114Willie B2022-05-05 08:33

    Buckets & thumbs are cheap. Do you have hydraulics to supply them? My Case 580 Super N is a model still in production. It was the photo showing extra hydraulics on the dipper stick that first attracted my attention. I went to look at it & learned it was only a hammer circuit. I figured "How hard could it be?" I'd convert to two way flow for a thumb. Even the dealer doesn't seem to know how to do that.

  115. #115Compression-Ignition2022-05-05 10:51

    Shortly here. The boss is going to the bank to wire the money today or tomorrow.

  116. #116KSSS2022-05-05 13:35

    probably too late, but those Cats are famous for wearing out those bushings that link the machine to hoe. I hopefully you checked the slop between the hoe and the machine by elevating it slightly with the hoe. Having run a breaker, I would be concerned about that specifically. Hopefully it all works out for you.

  117. #117Compression-Ignition2022-05-05 14:56

    I was told they are definitely 2-way hydraulics.

  118. #118Compression-Ignition2022-05-05 14:56

    Said the machine is tight tight with no slop.

  119. #119Compression-Ignition2022-05-06 00:02

    I mentioned that someone voiced some concerns on this and he went out to the machine and sent me a video earlier. There is some movement in the pins that attach the hoe to the cab/body. But he said he's seen much worse in machines with half the hours, and I KNOW I've seen way wayyyy worse. If definitely isn't a brand new machine, but I'm not paying the brand new price either. LOL, I'm just recalling some of the rental gems I've operated and this is going to be a huge upgrade in every imaginable way.

  120. #120Compression-Ignition2022-05-06 20:44

    On the way!

  121. #121Willie B2022-05-07 07:27

    That is a LOT of machine!

  122. #122Swetz2022-05-07 07:29

    And trailer!!

  123. #123Compression-Ignition2022-05-07 07:59

    That is quite the trailer isn't it. I guess the guy selling the machine called the consignment company and said "hey guys, I ain't been paid yet, but there is a big long nose Pete here in my yard after this CAT...." The money went through literally 3 minutes before he called them. Kinda funny. I thought I wouldn't see this machine for a week and a half easy, but it might be here early next week.

  124. #124Swetz2022-05-07 09:53
  125. #125aighead2022-05-09 06:25

    That's an interesting loader bucket, are my eyes playing tricks or is it flared out on the sides? Congratulations C-I!

  126. #126Compression-Ignition2022-05-09 10:47

    That's the aggregate crusher the standard bucket is strapped down behind the machine with the hammer inside of it.

  127. #127Compression-Ignition2022-05-09 10:55
  128. #128joe--h2022-05-09 11:19

    Wonder how long the tires last on that trailer? Joe H

  129. #129Compression-Ignition2022-05-09 17:50

    It doesn't snow a ton here, but it does snow. The property is at 3850ft. Our rental is at 3600ft. The previous property we tried to buy was at 4100ft. The rental was pretty mild in the snow department. The 4100ft place got quite a bit of snow. And the 3850 we didn't see until mid march, but it seemed in between. My wife and I both run 4wd's with decent snow tires. I really don't need a plow, but I figured I'd be buying one for the other property. At this 3850ft elevation place I'm not sure we really need it. I'm contemplating just using the bucket on the 430 for the first winter and see how it goes. There is a .25 mile unmaintained road before the driveway. Then the driveway will be about a .25 mile of winding road. More later if we decide on a separate shop. If the snow sticks to the bucket and we have a 'hard' winter I'm going to be annoyed I didn't buy something to deal specifically with snow removal. So options: Use the bucket and see how it goes Buy a plow for the 430 Buy a pusher for the 430 Buy a plow for my CCLB F-350 CAT is running a 0% interest for 24 months deal and I already decided I'd do the thumb and thew 4 in 1 bucket (4 in 1 depends on lead time). We will most likely not have any winter visitors, so I really only need to remove snow if my wife or I deem it necessary. I'm just not a fan of having huge sheets of ice over all of the driving and walking surfaces.

  130. #130Willie B2022-05-09 19:30

    I plowed Vermont snow as a child with a too simple snow blower. At perhaps 11 YOA I graduated to a primitive homemade wooden plow on a tiny farm tractor. I put a plow on a Jeep at maybe 16. Much later, I bought a full sized Jeep Cherokee, put a Fisher plow on it, that is my favorite snow removal machine. There've been makeshift machines. Last 18 years it had been a backhoe with loader bucket. It isn't perfect, but it beats shoveling. I'd like a snow pusher. A backhoe is never going to be the best machine to plow 1/4 mile of driveway, but it'll do the job. I'd rather have a 9' plow on a 1 ton truck.

  131. #131Compression-Ignition2022-05-09 19:48

    Really? Huh. So I'll have to get actual quotes, but from my internet gleanings a 'good' plow for my Ford was going to cost me the same a more as a plow for the 430. If you were buying a new plow tomorrow for a pickup what would it be? There are a ton of brands out there.

  132. #132emmett5182022-05-09 20:03

    When my hoe arrived, it came with heat and AC. I thought the AC was stupid for someone who wasn’t using it 8 hours a day. The first time I had to dig on a 90 degree day, I discovered how amazing AC was. And heat in the winter is fabulous too.

  133. #133Willie B2022-05-09 20:44

    Fisher was first with bottom edge trip only. They were a great plow 20 years before others were legally allowed to use their design. A number of others are great these days. Nine of ten professionals here use Fisher still. They continue to develop superior equipment. If plowing a road (1/4 mile), your plow needs to cast to the side. For short driveway, or parking lot, you want a snow pusher. The heavy rear/light front of a backhoe makes it susceptible to sliding the front wheels sideways if you have a plow you can angle. Also, You will NEED tire chains to use a hoe on ice. It becomes a big snow coaster you can't steer without tire chains. Might find yourself in the neighbor's lawn, or inside their house.

  134. #134Compression-Ignition2022-05-09 22:44

    I was absolutely planning on chains for the hoe. The 1/4 mile of road will be very easy to plow. All but the bottom where it meets the county road. That won't be hard, but not an easy cake walk like the rest of it. Only one home between us and the main road and it is set back a few hundred feet. I'll check out Fisher, I just thought it would be nice to leave the plow on the backhoe basically all winter.

  135. #135Willie B2022-05-10 08:21

    Backhoe is a 20,000 LB piece of high traction iron. You could lift front wheels off the ground by hand. With them light, or off the ground, you have only the brakes to steer with. A snow pusher lets you lock the bucket in one position just above the ground where its weight helps hold the front tires down. Only a portion of the snow pusher's weight is resting on the ground. Any side angle in a plow will push the front tires sideways & you fight using one brake to keep the machine straight. A truck typically has more weight on front tires than rear. An angled plow is less likely to push you sideways. Might weigh half as much as the backhoe, but better balanced for snowplow duty. I've used a loader bucket years now to clear the neighborhood. Bucket only, it's an OK snow mover, but the cutting edge is always parallel to the rear axle. I do my driveway, it is essentially a tilted plain. It is flat, so the bucket works well. Neighbor's driveways are a medley of changing angles. one corner of the bucket is always farther above the driveway's surface.

  136. #136NH575E2022-05-10 08:42

    Is that a pic of it loaded to come your way or the arrival to you?

  137. #137Compression-Ignition2022-05-10 10:18

    Loaded headed this way.

  138. #138Compression-Ignition2022-05-10 14:23

    Got a 4 in 1 CAT bucket in pretty decent shape on the way. Will remain on the lookout for a hydraulic thumb. As far as snow removal goes, I'm thinking I'll weld a piece of pipe onto the cutting edge of the standard bucket which would otherwise be essentially useless to me.

  139. #139skyking12022-05-10 15:23

    Just brainstorming out loud, but perhaps you could fab something up that hangs on the top edge of the four-way bucket it has a hinge. Open up the four-way and hang the plow blade to that. That way it can swing up if you hit something, then it keeps the bucket weight on the tires for steering. While I'm Rube Goldberg dreaming, I'd make it so I could manually angle it one way or the other.

  140. #140skyking12022-05-10 15:25

    To be clear, the plow blade is hanging on a piece of chain to the four-way that way it's not firmly attached. Of course you can raise up the whole thing with the boom hoist but you can fine tune the cutting angles and things.

  141. #141Compression-Ignition2022-05-13 13:54

    Missed these last 2 posts, interesting idea. Machine is an hour out!

  142. #142skyking12022-05-13 14:04

    Very cool! Yes for the kind of money for all these accessories I am tempted to build a thing or two like a snow blade. I'd make it so you just wheel up to it with the four-way open roll into it like you're picking up a set of forks on one of those multi-change loaders, and then it's hanging. Go out and hang the chain to the four-way open part and now you have it. You can go put it down anytime you don't need it, and it's set up so that if you do hit something hard like a manhole casting that's up just a little bit ( ask me how I know how much that hurts! ) It just pops up and over it.

  143. #143skyking12022-05-13 14:05

    If you give me some dimensions to work with I'll draw it up on a napkin and take a picture for you. I do my best work on napkins

  144. #144Willie B2022-05-13 17:40

    Snow pusher is dirt simple, No cutting edge, no trip mechanism, just a big blade, rubber cutting edge to ride over obstacles. Really primitive, It is held to your bucket with two loose chains. It does not work real well on long driveways. It is at its best in parking lots.

  145. #145Willie B2022-05-13 17:52

    I've pondered this many years. A plow on a backhoe needs a balance correction. Add weight to the front, or, reduce weight from rear. A few backhoes have removable hoes. Most of the time, I carry around a heavy weight in the front bucket. If you hope to cast snow to one side, you have to put more of the weight on the front wheels. A backhoe is a dinosaur, it's carried on the rear wheels. I confess, I steer with brakes. Me, I wish I had a plow truck.

  146. #146skyking12022-05-13 19:38

    Yes every time I find a hoe with the brake pedals bridged I know it was operated by a relative novice. Bridging the pedals does not account for mis-adjusted brakes, just mis-applied brakes. I want to be able to stab one when needed. I always flip that lock off.

  147. #147Compression-Ignition2022-05-13 23:28

    Home. Just picked up 2 sets of all the filters I'll need. Need to go through the manuals, check the hours on the filters (if written), make sure it's full of grease, and then go dig a hole or somethin'....?

  148. #148skyking12022-05-13 23:47

    haha! Enjoy

  149. #149Compression-Ignition2022-05-13 23:54

    I'm sure I will. I just need to get after it now. Chunk away at all this work a little at a time. I asked my wife what I should do first as there are a bunch of tasks that are just about all of equal importance. She just looked at me askance with a raised eyebrow like, "I don't care what the heck you do, but you better do something."

  150. #150skyking12022-05-14 00:00

    I looked up Corvallis as I am not familiar with it. I have not driven by that particular corner of Montana. It looks nice.

  151. #151Compression-Ignition2022-05-14 00:15

    Aside from the insanely expensive cost of real estate in this county, I absolutely love it! First time I visited Montana was about 10 years ago and after my first few hours I told my wife, "this is where we need to live." If there was an ocean nearby I'd swear it was heaven. But I'll take it as is.

  152. #152skyking12022-05-14 00:20

    Darling wife and I are not interested in living there but we do like to visit in the warmer months. We had a friend/classmate of hers in Libby and later he got a place off the Bull Lake road, highway 56. I cut him a new 1700' long "driveway" several years back.

  153. #153Compression-Ignition2022-05-14 00:26

    My first time on hwy 56 was last fall. Absolutely breathtaking!

  154. #154Compression-Ignition2022-05-14 22:40

    My children sat in the cab with me and helped me knock down a whole bunch of trees in 2 hours. This thing definitely has enough weigh and power to get it done. Wasn't able to reign myself in and get up to speed on everything, but I did check the engine oil level, changed out all the air filters and give it a good greasing. I wasted way too much grease in hindsight, but oh well.

  155. #155Compression-Ignition2022-05-14 22:41
  156. #156Swetz2022-05-15 07:22

    Great! Looks sweet...Love the flag on the hoe . Good luck! Beautiful property.

  157. #157NH575E2022-05-15 09:02

    I can ship you an ocean. Vinmo me a 100 grand.

  158. #158Compression-Ignition2022-05-15 11:04

    Checks in the mail!

  159. #159skyking12022-05-15 11:37

    If you look around you'll find evidence of the inland sea, you're just a few million years late to the beach

  160. #160aighead2022-05-15 15:25

    Congratulations C-I! Looks like a nice machine and get used to it doing a lot of work in two hours! Also, if you don't already know, when pushing trees over beware of branches falling out of the top of them, they don't take kindly to windshields.

  161. #161Compression-Ignition2022-05-23 01:57

    So I bought a used multi-purpose CAT branded bucket. Nice right? Not so fast. First they sent it inside a trailer on some chintzy pallets. I figured it would have been sent on some sort of flatbed. The pallets were destroyed and we had to hook a chain to the bucket and I drug the thing out with the boom, fun times. Got the thing unloaded and later went to try it out, go to hook up the hydraulic lines and find the bucket has different quick attach couplings (one was smashed). No biggie I guess. Go to order some more, that turns into a 3 day fiasco which we'll just gloss over. Finally get the couplings/adapters on the new to me bucket and when I go to operate the clamshell/jaw action whatever you call it, I see the cylinders trying to move but they can't get it open. I sit there scratching my head for a bit trying to figure out if there is some sort of interlock button I need to push and I finally get out and decide to give everything another once over. I'm looking at the hydraulic lines, looking for anything bent, and what in the world.... THE BUCKET IS WELDED SHUT.... I'm a slightly uncouth old construction worker and I like to swear. I don't do it around everyone, but when the situation calls for it in my estimation, I go on ahead and let loose....whatever you are imagining I said, probably just about covers it. I got this bucket from Portland Tractor. The guy I spoke with said it was a brand new bucket. When I saw the pictures I said to myself, well it ain't brand new, but it looks pretty good and is fairly new, so I'll give him that one. I spent the better part of a day working on this dang thing. Had to drive over to the place we are still renting to get my cordless M18 grinders I use for welding (little stuff). Then after I went through a ton of batteries I gave in and went to the farm store and bought a decent corded Dewalt grinder and a bunch of 6" skinny wheels. Like I said, it took me just about all day with all the driving and what not. I'm not as mad as I was, but I'm still annoyed. I wanted to use it this weekend and I didn't want to lose a week or 3 trying to order one from somewhere else so I went ahead and cut the welds out. Otherwise I'd a just sent it back to them. If there is an actual point to this rant it would be my question should I even bother talking to these guys? My time is worth a whole helluva lot more than the hassle I just went through. I would have gladly paid an extra $1500 for a brand new bucket from CAT. I'd like some cash for my troubles or I'd like to punch someone's lights out. I don't think I'm likely to get satisfaction. How would you handle it?

  162. #162Compression-Ignition2022-05-23 02:09

    I came up with a few theories as to why someone would do this, but they all sucked and seemed mostly implausible. People just don’t know how to act right….

  163. #163skyking12022-05-23 02:14

    That's terrible. Swear words indeed! The only reason I see to weld it is to use in on a machine that is not plumbed. It was used, messed with, and sold by a really dishonest person.

  164. #164Compression-Ignition2022-05-23 02:32

    The welds were good

  165. #165Swetz2022-05-23 06:59

    When I read that I figured that they tacked the bucket so that it could not open up in transit. Well, wen I saw the pic, that thought was gone. As skyking1 said, they were using it on a tractor that did not use the 4 in one feature. So, you wasted a weekend, and now you want to waste the week talking to these clowns!! They have your money, you have the bucket. It works, and looks almost new...the pain will diminish, and you will begin to enjoy the bucket. Just don't forget to NEVER deal with them again!! My opinion. LOL!!! That is one sweet machine...enjoy it!

  166. #166aighead2022-05-23 07:53

    What a weird thing to do! Even if there's a reason to do it you'd think it'd just get tacked in a couple places!

  167. #167csthompson122022-05-23 07:59

    I saw one machine that had that 4 in 1 bucket welded closed because the cylinders leaked… I mean come on, just get some seal kits.

  168. #168Tags2022-05-23 08:09

    Personally I would call just to spew venom at the guy that sold it to me. But, knowing how things are these days and knowing that salesman of most pieces of equipment know very little, I’d bet he had no idea it was welded shut, someone at the dealer may have known and the guy that traded it in/sent it to auction for sure knew, but I bet the salesman didn’t even know there were buckets that were supposed to open and close like that…

  169. #169Compression-Ignition2022-05-23 14:35

    Well I made the call. I tried not to sound like completely disgruntled, don't know how it came across. Guy said they flat out just missed it. He did ask if it was just a tack for shipping purposes, and after describing the welds he agreed that they weren't. I sent him pictures and we'll see what happens. At least I got to say my piece and tell him I was pissed about the situation. If I get some cash back great, I'll update this thread for posterity. Otherwise I'm over it and that's that. Unless of course like I told my wife there was some fix they applied to this bucket, It re-broke and they applied 'the fix' again and then sent it down the road. That'd re-open the wound for sure and I'll be spitting fire again.

  170. #170aighead2022-05-24 06:20

    Nice of him to be honest, regardless of outcome.

  171. #171346ci22022-05-25 17:31

    I could not imagine paying that but congrats on the new toy. I haven't been in the market but that is insane, must be following the path of vehicles, housing and property. Either way, congrats on the machine, hope it serves you well. An AC cab would be nice here in NC.

  172. #172Willie B2022-05-25 18:06

    I'll disagree. Equipment prices new are staggering! You bought a machine with a base price of $130,000 Plus cab, plus AC, plus extend a hoe, plus coupler, plus ride control, plus crusher bucket, plus extra hydraulics to make it useful. Mine came with one way hydraulics to power a hammer, a tamper, or a pavement saw. For me, this feature is useless. I want a thumb. Best price I've found is $6000. to convert my hydraulics to two way accessory capable, & that is a kit, where I provide the mechanic. His cost is not included. You found a nice machine able to meet your dreams, you paid less than half the cost of new, and you got my DREAM bucket! If you are not now bankrupt, or divorced, you've done well!

  173. #173Compression-Ignition2022-05-26 00:21

    The $ put a dent in the war chest for sure, but she couldn't leave me if she wanted to! Somebody has to take care of these little rascals. That multi-purpose bucket is no joke. It cracks the little metal green fence stakes in half if I close it too hard on them. And I kept wondering why I was cutting 6-7" trees and smaller in half when I'd go to grab them. Forgot about the side cutters on this thing. Not having to handle every limb by hand is doing wonders for my production.

  174. #174aighead2022-05-26 10:28

    I don't want to justify a 4:1 bucket but I imagine it'd be super handy. Nice to hear you are already getting lots of work done!

  175. #175Compression-Ignition2022-05-28 22:39

    I am really struggling trying to figure out how to prime this thing after a fuel filter change. Manual says “okay, you’ve changed the filter, now start the engine.”

  176. #176Compression-Ignition2022-05-28 23:33

    Looks like there is no hand pump or anything so I guess I’ll try to crack a line open or find some sort of bleed screw-in top of the primary fuel filter housing to let the air out. I’ve tried just turning the key to the acc and listening for the fuel pump, but nothing seems to happen. I just thought this would have been covered in the operation and maintenance manual. Had to dig this out of the giant repair manual.

  177. #177NH575E2022-05-29 00:10

    I have used a couple methods on my NH. Not sure if they will help you. My electric primer pump lacks the force to prime the system and is a pain to access the wires to jump it. I used to put a large rubber stopper over the tank fill and blow compressed air in. That would pressurize the tank and force fuel through the system and back through the return line. Your electric pump may be a on a timer so it energizes for a few seconds when you turn the key on but it should run when you turn it to start. May just take a while to get it primed. The last time I opened the system I put a low pressure pump in line and jumped power to it and let it run a minute. That worked like a charm to push the air out through the return line. I didn't have to vent anything. This is where your (1) strainer is. If that is connected with a push on hose and clamps you could easily place a low pressure fuel pump in front of it and jump power to it. You are going to want to replace or clean the strainer anyway.

  178. #178Willie B2022-05-29 07:50

    Fill the new filter before you begin to bleed. I've no knowledge of your machine, but typical machines have bleeder at the filter, the injector pump will have two bleeders, and the fuel rail should have one. You'll save frustration if you buy a manual. I paid dearly, (over $500.) for a set of books for a Case 580K, but digital version for the newer one was cheap.

  179. #179Willie B2022-05-29 07:52

    Might find gravity is all you need to flow fuel up to the injector pump if the tank is full.

  180. #180Compression-Ignition2022-06-04 00:39

    Forgot to report back on this. What a nightmare. We’ll it wasn’t that bad, but holy heck I could not have imagined what a fiasco it would be to get this thing primed. There's got to be a thousand better ways to do this, but this is what I came up with.

  181. #181Clawed Backster2022-06-04 06:45

    I once needed to pressurize the fuel tank on my dozer to try to find a leak in the line which had allowed it to suck air and stall. I just tightly wrapped a rag around my air nozzle to fit snugly in the fuel filler neck. I figured that would not be so air tight that I could over pressurize the tank and damage it. Your setup looks much more better. Lol

  182. #182Clawed Backster2022-06-04 07:41

    I once needed to pressurize the fuel tank on my dozer to try to find a leak in the line which had allowed it to suck air and stall. I just tightly wrapped a rag around my air nozzle to fit snugly in the fuel filler neck. I figured that would not be so air tight that I could over pressurize the tank and damage it. Your setup looks much more better. Lol

  183. #183NH575E2022-06-04 09:22

    That is exactly how I did it before trying a inline pump. The pump idea I offered is much easier.

  184. #184Black_Cirrus2022-06-04 19:32

    I put a similar setup together, I put a tire valve stem on it so it can hold a couple psi while I wrench on stuff/ check for leaks etc.

  185. #185Willis Hodgkinson2022-06-10 15:47

    LikeNH575 says, you have to turn the starter key to the start position, then let it go and it will return to the ignition position and the electric fuel pump will keep running. Thats how mine works on my 2013 CAT 444F backhoe/loader, I usually fill the filter with diesel before putting it back on the machine, have fun it looks like a great machine.