Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580D hydraulic filter

tresslers ยท 2008-03-12 15:19

Are there any 580D owners that can look to see in a manual if you have a hydraulic filter condition light or a gauge? I got a hydraulic filter housing for a 580d to replace the filter housing on my 580b. I was told that these are easier to replace the spin on filter versus the cartridge filter especially since mine i all messed up from the previous removals. I got the housing and there is a sending unit on it. Probably for the hydraulic condition. I woud like to hook this up. Is it a light or a gauge on a 580D? If it is a light then it is very simple. If it is a gauge, what type is it? thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Phil2008-03-12 16:10

    I remember 580D having a "change filter" light in the instrument cluster. I believe the sensor on your 580D filter assembly is a normally open switch, that would complete the dash light circuit should differential pressure get too high. Phil

  2. #2tresslers2008-03-12 16:19

    Thanks. I can just wire in a light, the control from the hydraulic filter base should be a ground so if i just hook that up to a light and then run a 12volt hot to the other side that should be my change filter light.

  3. #3sheepfoot2008-03-12 17:11

    580d filter On the 580d machine the dash has a filter lite, and not a gauge, the operators manual ,warning lamp for the hydraulic oil filter: this warning lamp will illuminate when, (1) the engine is stopped and the key switch is on and the warning lamp switch is pushed to the right or (2) the hydraulic oil filter requires service. it also states to change after first 20 hrs then at 500hrs. you should be able to run a fused hot wire to a 12volt lite then to the filter sender. (always use a fuse even if you come off the key switch)

  4. #4tresslers2008-03-12 17:16

    Is the warning lamp switch a switch to test the bulbs?

  5. #5sheepfoot2008-03-12 22:42

    test switch I seem to think the test switch goes to ground to test air filter/ hyd filter lights only.

  6. #6sheepfoot2008-03-12 22:44

    test switch lights/bulbs

  7. #7tresslers2008-03-12 22:50

    Well that makes sense. thanks

  8. #8Phil2008-03-13 07:10

    How is your 580D filter housing going to adapt to the old lines. Do you have to buy some fittings or convert to flexible line? Phil

  9. #9tresslers2008-03-13 07:58

    It looks like they should have the same fitting size. Hopefully looks are correct. The 580d housing have 4 drilled and tapped mounting points like the 580b, the spacing might be off but i can work around that and I think the threads should be the same. I will find out when I get it apart.

  10. #10tresslers2008-04-21 13:22

    I got the filter housing on my 580b over the weekend. It was the same size for the lines so the fit wasn't too much of a problem. My biggest issue which isn't hard at all is to make a bracket to hold the filter housing in place as the mounting holes are setup differently then the other type filter. The 580d is a smaller bolts and smaller pattern then the 580b. It looks like the filters are a bit better for the 580d (17 microns) as compared to the 580b filter (25 microns) So the bottom line is It works.

  11. #11Phil2008-04-22 21:03

    Congratulations, I'll bet it looks good. Phil