Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580D shuttle problem

fletch ยท 2011-10-11 07:28

Hello to all this is my first post and I hope someone can give me some insight because I am lost. a few months ago i purchased a 580d for home use I have been replacing fluids and filters and this past weekend I drained shuttle and torque converter took pan off and cleaned, replaced o-ring put fluid back in, exactly the way service manual explains it. The shuttle shifted into forward and reverse just fine before I did fluid change, but now I have no forward, reverse seems to work just fine. Also when I have shuttle in nuetral and try to shift tranny into any gear it grinds gears like its not in nuetral. I checked fluid level and it shows full. I used ATF dextron which manual specified as an alternative to TCH fluid. If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it, thank you.

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2011-10-11 16:36

    Welcome to the forum fletch! Unfortunately you need to remove & repair your shuttle. This is a common problem with them, searching the threads here will find many posts re this problem - Using ATF is not the best oil - use a 10 grade transmission oil or 68 hydraulic instead. It would be a good idea to check your convertor by means of a stall test as these often need attn when fwd clutch pack gives up. - If you are thinking of doing your own repair a service manual will be a good investment. Plenty of help available here if needed.

  2. #2fletch2011-10-12 13:53

    Thank you for your response alman, its not what I was wanting to hear but I guess the truth hurts sometimes. I do have a service manual, or at least a downloaded version of one I purchased on e-bay as far as I can tell it seems legit and complete it has 1730 pages. I will study up on the test and thank you for the input on the ATF fluid, I did drain it and replaced it with tch fluid. I also have replaced engine oil with regular automobile oil (10-w30) is this also not a wise choice?

  3. #3alrman2011-10-12 23:33

    Not sure what cold weather requirements should be - here, we can use 15W 40 all year round. There is a difference between diesel eng & automotive oils - Detergents & ash content etc. Guess it really depends on what brand you have put in & where the maker of it says it can go......

  4. #4jbothman2011-10-16 01:07

    i am in the process of bring a 580 d home from a field.it hasnt been ran for over 3 years.i have everything raised manually because hoe will not start.the problem is it may be in gear and i dont know if it can be pulled upon a roll back.i havent been able to move the gear shifter.how can i get this hoe to roll if it is in a gear?

  5. #5fletch2011-10-16 02:32

    Jbothman, I dont know if you would remove driveshaft if that would help or not, Im still wet behind the ears on these creatures myself but im sure the guys on this forum will know what to do for sure, you will probably have to start a new thread which you cant do that untill you post three times or go to a thread that some of the senior members are currently replying on and jump in, sorry couldnt be of more help.

  6. #6Bill Smith2011-10-16 08:36

    Im pretty sure it dosen't matter . The machine will move regardless .The only thing that stops these machines from rolling is the emergancy brake ,and I doubt yours is working .I have to keep my 580 se on level ground to keep it from moving ,I block it as well .My emergency brake disc has stripped the spline drive it rolled on.

  7. #7jbothman2011-10-16 13:51

    thanks fellows that sounds like a plan

  8. #8CODMECH2011-10-16 23:03

    i to am having shuttle problems, but its with a 570lxt wont go forward or reverse. relays and solenoids seem to be working ok, it acts like declutch is stuck the tractor sits for long periods between uses, when i first got on tractor the other day the brake pedals were down i had to lift them up with my foot. does this model have a declutch incorporated into brake pedal function. also i noticed the small solenoid on the valve body with the spin-on tranny filter gets quite hot and has power to it at all times is this normal any help would be greatly appreciated