Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580D Shuttle slip

Herbert Dorman ยท 2019-10-26 10:27

I had my shuttle rebuilt about 100 hours ago, along with the 207 engine. I took it on the road to travel 20 miles away, as I arrived, the shuttle started slipping. It still moves good in first gear, but will slip when trying to fill the front bucket. I limped home, using first gear for every hill. After removing lower cover to clean, I noticed a metallic appearance in the fluid, not good I am sure. Cleaned intake screen, replaced fluid with Case Hi Tran, it operates better, but still slipping. If it is on a slight incline, it will not advance from a start in second gear, but will in first. Any ideas? Rebuild in my future? The old hoe is in pretty good shape for its age, I just use it around my place and for family and friends. I am 61, and it is my hobby, but all toll, I am at about 19k. Still cheaper than many hobbies I guess. Thanks for taking time to read, and any offer of insight.

Replies9
  1. #1alrman2019-10-27 22:31

    Unfortunately Herbert, there is not much that can be done from outside the shuttle to repair this type of issue. I would think when it was "rebuilt" something has not gone right & has caused your problem. Did you do the rebuild? If there is a metallic look to the oil I would suggest pulling it out again & taking it to someone who is familiar with them for an inspection.

  2. #2Herbert Dorman2019-10-27 22:50

    Thank you for reply. I did not do the rebuild, purchased all parts, took the to a local transmission rebuild guy who does more automotive rebuilds than anything, but also some for local heavy equipment as well. I am not a mechanic by any means, but grew up on a farm where you learned to repair anything, but I know enough not to try some things. I will pull it out, take it to a place more familiar, as I should have in the first place. Thanks again for taking time out to offer insight.

  3. #3alrman2019-10-27 23:06

    Was the torque converter overhauled at the rebuild time as well? These are a critical part of the shuttle operation & should not be overlooked.

  4. #4Herbert Dorman2019-10-28 04:45

    I did replace it with a rebuilt one. A friend that has worked profeesionally for 30 years with diggers told me he thought it might be bad, I may have gotten a defective one. It does not slip in reverse, only forward. Could it be the torque converter if this was the case? That would be greta of so, $500 for another one is better than $3000 for another rebuilt shuttle. Thanks again, Herbert

  5. #5Vetech632019-10-28 07:28

    No. Slippage will be from the forward clutch due to either lack of oil pressure or the stack height was incorrect when assembled. When you buy a rebuild kit (this is a BW Im assuming) it comes with multiple thicknesses of drum rings to set the height for proper application travel. It probably has the wrong ring and is not tightening the clutch pack enough for a heavy load. There is only so much piston travel there to work with so the distance has to be correct. There is a possibility that there is a pressure bleed off on the hydraulic side of it, but you would need to pressure test the shuttle to be sure. There is also a slight possibility that the plates were stacked wrong in that forward drum.

  6. #6Herbert Dorman2019-10-28 08:41

    You are a wealth of information. I did not purchase a kit, rather all need [as I was told] from a shop a few hours away that I trust and have done business with for years, but tired to use a close local guy for the rebuild. I will take it a few hours away next time. Thank you again, I really appreciate your time, Herbert

  7. #7Herbert Dorman2019-10-28 13:08

    I just replaced my hydraulic pump, the slipping started just a few hours after that, could there be any correlation? I did have to increase my pressure control valve one full turn, the new pump over powered. Thanks again, I really appreciate your time!

  8. #8Vetech632019-10-28 18:00

    You really need to set your pressures with a gauge installed so you know exactly where you are at. If you are talking about the hydraulic pump at the front of the engine, there is no correlation that I am aware of.The shuttle transmission pump is on the front of your shuttle case and is driven by the torque convertor.

  9. #9Herbert Dorman2019-10-31 11:21

    Thanks, I was going by the advice of the shop that sold me the pump, but everything I have read says not to adjust without a gauge. It is still a bit low I think, but very usable for my needs until I can do that. I guess I am looking at pulling it out. Again, I really appreciate your time. I was just hoping beyond hope there was a simple fix [although there rarely is], but knew in my heart it would need to be pulled.