Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Is there a grease that won’t separate?

RenoHuskerDu · 2019-10-26 17:30

I'm getting really tired of the mess in the grease gun storage. Seems like every grease separates into thick goo and runny oil...which leaks out of the grease gun. I need to buy some more cartridges of grease, so can anyone recommend a brand of grease that does not break down?

Replies14
  1. #1John C.2019-10-26 18:45

    I've seen that problem all my life. The common response from the suppliers is that you are supposed to use it before it separates. I put a diaper in the bottom of a 5 gallon pail and store the grease gun in that now.

  2. #2AzIron2019-10-26 19:53

    Vavlvoline 985 seems to be pretty trouble free I wont use anything else its synthetic and it can get kinda spendy but shopping on Amazon I find it under 6 bucks a tube Yes I pay that much and I have machines with 10000 hrs and are still tight never re pinned or bushing

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-10-26 20:06

    I have never had wheel bearing grease separate.

  4. #4DIYDAVE2019-10-26 21:08

    JD corn head gearbox grease, AKA thixotropic grease... http://vehiclesofvictory.com/2010/11/10/thixotropic-grease-a-great-solution-in-some-instances/

  5. #5Nige2019-10-27 08:40

    If grease has time to separate in the grease gun you aren't using enough of it... What brand & NLGI rating of grease are you using right now..? This link may help somewhat - HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6Bls repair2019-10-27 09:51

    I find that you can keep it out of the sun and cool it’s not as bad

  7. #7Old Doug2019-10-27 10:35

    I think you said this as a joke but we have this problem with guns that are used almost every day.

  8. #8Nige2019-10-27 11:26

    It was only half-way joking. As per the question to the OP, what grease are you using.?

  9. #9CM19952019-10-27 11:34

    We use Phillips Megaplex moly grease and it doesn't separate but we go through a lot of it. I store my grease in a container in the back of my truck with the metal pull tab facing down so the grease settles to the "top" of the tub. Helps eliminate priming problems with the gun. It's a caulk tube holder but holds grease tubes as well. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326920_200326920?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Fuel Transfer + Lubrication > Grease Guns + Accessories > Grease Cartridges + Accessories&utm_campaign=Legacy&utm_content=40377&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgNXtBRC6ARIsAIPP7Rv_UajMlVl5u-yR27tt03FVdOwyKb9ik_8DAHlZDz6sthxQkdn4pUcaAvrbEALw_wcB

  10. #10tbone14712019-10-27 13:11

    We use mobil shc 220, shc 460, shell gardus 220 and 460. Dont have any problems with it separating. The mobil is synthetic for bearings and the shell we use for pins. We do go through quite a lot.

  11. #11Nige2019-10-29 08:29

    After having establisehd a few basics for an operation (see the link in post #6 above - "Seven tests for selecting the right grease") it doesn't matter if the grease is synthetic or mineral - it's the quality that counts. All the greases you listed are top-quality products and in "normal" circumstances I wouldn't expect any of them to separate.

  12. #12RenoHuskerDu2019-10-29 18:41

    We live in Texas. It's hot 9 months of the year. Cool 3. And freezes for 1 month but that's spread out over the 3 cool months. I can't bring the grease gun in the house with the AC. My wife is a keeper.

  13. #13dozr2019-10-29 19:59

    trc texas refiner corp crown and chassie best i have ever used, wont come out of joints or wash out, it is a red grease

  14. #14skata2019-10-29 22:57

    A grease that runs, is a grease that will also creep into where lube is needed. Right? Lol