When I went to start up my 580D this week when I turned the key on the volts gauge didn't move like it usually does. I left the key on for about 10 seconds, then started the tractort. Then after another 5 to 10 seconds the volts gauge started working as normal. I was in the middle of another project working around the alternator so I shut the tractor off then several minutes later started it up and for the life of me I could not get the gauge to work again despite tapping the dash and fiddling with wiring. This made me think maybe my oil temperature and water temperature guages are not working either. Which are more important. I ran the tractor for about 15 minutes and it looked like the water temp went up but not the oil temp. Questions: I don't suppose this has happened to anyone else on this model and could give me tips on troubleshooting? Do the oil and water temp gauges work even with the key off or does the key have to be on? Here is a picture with the key off and tractor has ran for about 10-15 minutes. Thanks
Sounds like a bad connection. Something loose, corroded, or a broken wire somewhere. Only suggestion would be to get a VOM and start tracing the various systems.
Thanks, would it affect oil and water temperature gauges as well or do they work even with the key off?
You will very seldom see the trans temp gauge go up unless you do a lot of loader work, To test them you must cause the torque converter to slip to create heat, put the tranny in 4 th gear, hold the brakes and floor it for a few minutes and watch the gauge, you will not hurt anything just do not boil the oil out if you do not see the meter go up after a bit. Just because you see no movement under normal operation does not mean there is a fault.