Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580 Super E hoe controls issue

duane schlosser ยท 2020-05-25 11:11

Working on getting my super E back. extendahoe 4WD. Put new rubber on it, new battery and fired right up. So now when I go to use the hoe joysticks, they are froze. All but one sticks pull down. Left stick will go forward forcefully, 2 middle sticks will not go forward, and the left stick stuck tight. also the swing pedals seem frozen. stabilizers controls work as they should. I did not try to drive it, front bucket controls work fine. The hoe sat, but I did start it periodically. I did have to put about 2-1/2 gallons of hydraulic in the tank. I did notice some corrosion on the dip stick. I am guessing that moisture accumulated and froze the controls. My question is how hard of a fix is this and what is the fix?. Looking at it it looks like the only way to get to the valve body ( if that is what it is called) is to take a whole bunch of major componets off the machine (hoe,cab). Not sure if I can handle that kind of repair and may just have to cut my losses and sell. I only use the machine on rare occasions and may not be worth the bother and expense for me to continue for the amount of use I need. Wish I would have started it and tried it all out before I spent 2000.00 on new rubber. Thanks for the input and help.

Replies7
  1. #1melben2020-05-25 11:27

    I could miss my guess I suppose but I would check for rusting on the external linkage connecting to the control valve, that can easily be accessed through the back and the covers easily removed. I have never seen a control valve that froze up internally without standing open, remove the cotters and connecting pins and start from there, I believe that the rusting has taken place on the top shaft, some PB Blaster and a little heat if needed should get you going

  2. #2mitch5042020-05-25 12:05

    Yep, handles and linkage freezing up is common, valves not so much. In fact, when I finish my lunch and sign off here, I am going out to a K that has the outrigger handles frozen to the shaft.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2020-05-27 14:06

    Did you rebuild your backhoe control valve?

  4. #4Vetech632020-05-27 15:54

    Remove the linkage pins at your valve spools and see if your control handles move or not.

  5. #5duane schlosser2020-05-27 17:21

    No, I did not rebuild valve body. Like all things "worked great when I parked it"

  6. #6duane schlosser2020-05-27 17:24

    That is probably sound advice if I knew what\where those things are. I am like WILE E COYOTE, when I pull a pin it is always the wrong one with the wrong results. (as he slowly raises the tiny umbrella)

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2020-05-27 18:14

    Ok I was just wondering some people tend to over tighten tie bolts that hold sections together. Check your linkage and ball joints.