Picked up a machine a little while back, wasn't in the best of shake but mechanically it's sound enough. However, I just can't accept good enough. So I've been working my way through this machine as cheaply as I possibly can, and thought I'd share some of this with you all in case anyone can make use of it.
For starters, the door didn't close. Come to find out the striker was gone and only about half of the door latch assembly was still there. So I made my own with some random pieces of steel and a sacrificial socket and 3/8" extension
My heater had also quit working, a combination of a corroded switch, rat chewed wiring, and a blower motor that had lost it's bearing. I couldn't find a replacement assembly anywhere for an E series machine. However, I found a chinese looking blower motor assembly that looked the same and had the same dimensions. It only costed me 110$ for the whole unit. The housing is very cheap plastic and I didn't like it, so I took my old one apart, took the motor and fan wheels outta the new one, and made one good unit from both of them. All 3 speeds work and it blows strong. The motor and wheels can be bought for about 80$ without the cheap housing, included is a picture of what I believe to be the motor part number
Very kool.. have u tried Dale Weiss @ tractor stuff.. he specializes in Case machines.. & most of the time he’ll search a part for u if he doesn’t have it..
I have not, never heard of him actually, I'll give that a try next time I need something. So far I've been able to make just about everything
Got a new floor pan done up, looks a bit funky but I didn't have a 3" hole saw and didn't really wanna go out and buy one so I torched the holes as good as I could. Also made a new "bushing" for the throttle shaft and a new end for it as the old one had rotted and pitted badly. Some small angle iron to replace the end of the floor pan support worked well. Also cut out a new floor for the battery tray as the old one was gone, the battery was just hanging on by the cables haha
Nice work, but if yur gonna keep that seat I would use a thicker cushion and maybe some Bugs Bunny air springs for comfort....
Just a temporary setup as I needed to move something that day. Very sketchy, hit the brakes too hard while backing up and damn near slid right out the rear window haha. Aside from that, the left side hazard and brake light assembly had been smashed off this machine long ago. I got bored while waiting for paint to dry so I bent up some scrap sheet steel I had and made a much stronger version of the factory plastic setup. Had the hazard laying around from a previous truck, and the brake light I ordered online for 8$. Couple wire connectors and I'll have both brake lights back up and fully functional turn and hazard lights
Here's some pics of the thing for this thread, forgot I never uploaded any, as well as what the floor started as, will post finals up once I get it together, hopefully this weekend. Gotta tighten up the tension rods for the hoe today so I can put the floor in for the last time, unfortunately my 1" gun have up on me last night, gotta rip it down and figure out why so I can get the hoe good and tight again. And for anyone who thinks something like this looks daunting, Im not a great fabricator and I suck a body work and sheet metal. I also lack a large shop or anything, this is all being done in my driveway, included is a picture of my work area. My old K30 service truck makes a just good enough welding table
Working on patching the fender today so I can out the floor in for the last time. While the paint dries I snapped a few pics of the rear windows, both were gone when I got the machine. The tracks were gone as well, and I couldn't locate any replacements. I did some searching and plastic bypass Window tracks. Ordered a set on amazon that was closest to the original tracks. Had to sand them down a little thinner and grind the ridge out of the middle of each slot, but after that it works good, windows slide smoothly with a little bit of silicone lube and they don't rattle or hit eachother
Got the biggest hole patched, it's not perfect but it's a 40 year old machine it's good enough haha. Used it to move a few things this weekend, it sure as hell beats my old CK