Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580ck crank no start

dad2six · 2021-03-10 13:29

Hi guys my 1967 580ck diesel will not start this spring. It will turn over but not start. I've always been able to start it in the springtime after being winterized but not this year. I did try some starting fluid made for diesels and still no. It sounds like it wants to start but just wont fire. I added fuel conditioner in it back in the fall. Wondering if I should just drain all the diesel out and add fresh? I just don't know a lot about diagnosing diesel engines. Any help would be appreciated .

Replies22
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-03-11 10:35

    More than likely either the metering valve or the pumping plungers r stuck.. Search both on google to get an idea of what ur looking at.. Contact me directly if needed..

  2. #2hookedondiesel2021-03-11 10:37

    Just curious, have you sprayed either while it was turning over? Also, check the air filter if it has one for rodent's etc.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2021-03-12 06:31

    Some of them have a checkball return fitting on the top cover.. TAKE IT OFF. Remove ALL the fittings off the top cover.. if done correctly, you’ll be left w just a hole in the cover.. NOW TRY TO START IT.. fuel will b coming out of the hole, so b prepared for that.. I’m still leaning towards the problem being inside the pump tho. Let us know..

  4. #4dad2six2021-03-14 16:30

    Thanks for your reply’s Ok I was able to get it running on starting fluid. But it won’t stay running. I flushed out all the diesel and check the filters they’re still clean I changed them last year. I took the line off that comes in from the fuel filters to the pump and I have diesel there but nothing coming out of the pump and nothing going to the injectors. The inlet coming into the pump has a screen on it but no check ball or anything that I can see. I can blow right through the screen and its clear. it’s just not pumping any fuel so I’m assuming it’s a bad injector pump or something in the injector pump?

  5. #5dad2six2021-03-14 16:36

    Here is the pump.

  6. #6dad2six2021-03-14 19:07

    I Took off the cover with a three screws. It was full of fuel I took up the two screws on the side drain the fuel out I worked the levers back-and-forth and cranked it over no fuel filled the cavity. What do you think the problem is?

  7. #7thepumpguysc2021-03-16 08:28

    In the 1st pic, I can see a black waded up goo sitting on top of the metering valve or in the top right corner.. That goo is probably what’s left of the flex ring.. Try loosening or removing the fuel tank cap.. then blow compressed air thru the RETURN LINE back to the tank.. it might b clogged.. Other than that, it sounds like the inj pump needs to come off.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2021-03-16 08:32

    U can try to start it w the top off the pump..

  9. #9dad2six2021-03-16 12:14

    Thank you. I’ll try that.

  10. #10dad2six2021-09-03 17:13

    Going to try and rebuild it myself. the flex ring was gone. There was very very little of it left in the pump. Is there any passageways I should double check that commonly plug up? I’ve cleaned and blown compressed air through about every orifice I could find and it’s all clear. Would the missing flex ring cause the pump to not work? Also I have ordered the one piece weight cage.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2021-09-03 17:45

    1st thing is..KEEP THE ROTOR IN THE HEAD.!!! (Center Piece) An orifice u need to check is the head locating screw holes.. It’s the screw behind the advance pistons.. It gets oring material in the holes.. Next is.. transfer the timing line to the new retainer.. or get the person u bought it from to do it .. you’ll need to have the DBG #... Good luck with the o/h

  12. #12dad2six2021-09-03 19:17

    Would the missing flex ring cause the pump to not work?

  13. #13thepumpguysc2021-09-03 19:46

    Only if it clogged the return line going back to the tank.. 1 other place to look is the small return line at the injectors... Remove it at the injector and see if it’s clogged w crumbs of flex ring.

  14. #14dad2six2021-09-04 15:16

    Thank you for sharing your knowledge thepumpguysc two more questions. 1. Do you know what the roller to roller dimension specification should be set to on dbgfcc431-27aj? 2. is the correct transfer pump blade minimum width specification 1.0930? I'm just using a manual I found online. Its for DB pumps but its not exactly like mine.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2021-09-05 09:32

    Blades get changed 100%..there is also an o/s version of the blades. But that doesn’t help unless u have an o/s blade to test the rotor with..

  16. #16dad2six2021-09-05 09:44

    Do you know what the roller to roller dimension specification should be set to on dbgfcc431-27aj?

  17. #17thepumpguysc2021-09-05 09:47

    Of course I do.. I’m the friggin pump guy.!!

  18. #18dad2six2021-09-05 10:00

    Lol I figured so. Would you mind sharing that information with me? Pretty please ☺️

  19. #19jd12342021-09-05 15:31

    D26 Link to a John Deere "DB" Roosa Master IP Service Manual https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QICQG0Nz6NuURSVR2F3uvTnRn_zT7r3B

  20. #20thepumpguysc2021-09-06 08:42

    1.953”.. I’ve been away from my pc.. so I used the “search” function and it popped right up.. I knew I answered that before..

  21. #21dad2six2021-09-06 23:10

    Thanks for that spec……. And the search function reminder

  22. #22thepumpguysc2021-09-06 23:24

    Did I get a deleted thread post.? I got notice u said that doesn’t cover your pump.?? I typed in “27aj” w/o the quotation marks and it came up on the 1st pg. towards the bottom.. Good luck with the rebuild.