Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580E Slowly lost power

Cory76 ยท 2007-08-29 19:44

Hi, I have a couple of newbie questions. My 86 580E has slowly been losing power, I first noticed it in the front end and now I'm having trouble going up hills etc, I'm at least one gear lower doing the same things I used to do.The fuel pump was new last year(didn't notice any differance),valves were adj about 800hrs ago. The engine seems to run as good as it ever did but it just doesn't have the power that it used to. The machine has around 6000hrs on it. I will appreciate any help, Thanks

Replies19
  1. #1Countryboy2007-08-29 20:20

    Welcome to HEF Cory76! :drinkup

  2. #2smalltime2007-08-29 21:05

    Have you checked your air filters & fuel filters??

  3. #3Cory762007-08-29 21:57

    All filters are replaced regularly

  4. #4Grader4me2007-08-30 05:51

    Had a similar problem a few years back with a grader. Started losing power acting sluggish etc. Changed the fuel filters, air breather was good. Still had the same problem. After awhile we found the reason. Somehow a piece of flakey rust had become lodged in the opening of fuel line inside the tank. It restricted the full flow of fuel.

  5. #5RonG2007-08-30 05:52

    Check that you are getting full throw of your throttle.Sometimes the hand throttle will give full RPMs and the foot throttle will not.Check your motor supports,as they wear you can lose full throw on other linkeages too such as forward/reverse.Check the fuel shutoff solenoid for proper action,if it is not opening/closing properly it can starve you for fuel as well.Does the engine shut off promptly when you turn the key to off?Does it start up right away? Can the transmission be slipping which might give the illusion of lack of power? Those engines are pretty tough but without the basics they can all run poorly.Ron G

  6. #6thehose2007-08-30 10:09

    I'm with Ron.G it sounds like the transmission to me. You said the engine seems the same. Going uphll issue is likely the tranny.

  7. #7tylermckee2007-08-30 23:11

    had a 580L that had similar problems. eventually got so bad it only moved in first, and it was slow going. $2500 later it was good as new. I guess some valve in the transmission had to be replaced, im not really sure what.

  8. #8Cory762007-09-01 11:31

    How can I check to see if it the tranny slipping?Does anyone know what valve tylermckee is talking about? Thanks

  9. #9OneWelder2007-09-03 19:40

    Does the Motor RPM S stay up ? Does the motor strain and your travel speed slows down? Does this have a"lift" or "Transfer" pump for the fuel ? Is It possible the Injection pump timing slipped back slightly? or is slightly retarded? Is the Exhaust smoke heavier than before? or does the engine appear to be burning cleaner? I am not that Knowledgeable on this specific machine, but there is enough experience on this board that if you would give more information, these people could stop guessing about whats happening and solve your problem I do not mean to come across sarcastically, its just your not giving enough INFO. !

  10. #10tylermckee2007-09-03 23:00

    Is it just the tranny? or is everything else slowing/losing power as well?

  11. #11Cory762007-09-04 21:37

    -I can really notice it on the front end , not so much the back. -I'm getting full rpm's with both throttles -The rpm's do drop when it powers out -The engine does seem to strain as it slows down -The exhaust smoke is a little heavier than before -The marks on the pump and housing are lined up, is there a timing procedure that I can try other than just lining up the marks? -since the new pump the engine doesn't start as fast as it did before, but it does shut off as soon as I hit the key. Sorry if I wasn't giving enough info and thanks for trying to help anyway!

  12. #12directorz2007-09-06 14:51

    I'm big on OEM parts and have had too many bad experiences using aftermarket stuff. Hopefully, yours was OEM. I'd start with the pump and check the pressure even though it's new. Good luck

  13. #13Countryboy2007-09-06 19:11

    Welcome to HEF directorz! :drinkup

  14. #14Cory762007-09-06 23:50

    It is an OEM rebuilt. Does anyone know what the pressure should be?

  15. #15directorz2007-09-07 11:08

    Thank you for the welcome Countryboy. Interesting site.

  16. #16chewy2007-09-26 22:30

    you say it smokes a little more. if it's black, check air induction tube for blockage if it has turbo must hand spin freely- no rub on case- hope this helps.

  17. #17Cory762007-09-29 22:08

    It ended up being the Tourque Convertor, I changed it today and it has as much power as the day I bought it!

  18. #18RonG2007-09-30 05:35

    Thanks for taking the time to reply with the outcome.That is what makes these forums work.Good luck with it.Ron G

  19. #19Cory762007-09-30 10:45

    No problem, thanks for all the suggestions guys.