I am going to look at a 580 Serper E this afternoon. This will be my first backhoe if we can get together on it. What is the differance between a E and a Super E and is there anything I should look for when I go look at it. Thanks for the help.
Increased horse power.
All 580E is non turbo and 580SE is turbo charged. That said half the 580E's have 580SE on the cabs. Major difference between the early and late SE series are the brakes. Early SE were dry brake later series were wet brake. There are some minor electrical differences, there are actually 3 separate wiring schematics for these, one with relays one without. There are 2 different swing towers too.
Well I bought it. The first letters of the serial number is 81. Could this be the year? If not is there any way to know what year I have? Any tips or known problems I should be looking for? I can't find a leak on the thing anywere. Trans shifts out good. I am very pleased. Wanted 4x4 but was so strong and dry with an extendahoe I couldn't pass it up. 10,500? Did I get hurt?
Moducks check your email. Submit some pics of the machine...
I think E's were built between 1984 and 1987, as I recall, and the full serial # is needed for the year of manufacture. Of all the older models, the E was the most highly thought of in my opinion. A leak free machine is rare, I hope it stays that way for you. Rusty cabs were common in the E, but I think you are out of the salt. That can devalue a machine, K's were bad for that. I sold several good E's in the last few years for $15-16,500. The recession has lead to lots of opportunities south of the border. I think when things get back to normal, a good clean 2 wheel drive E will fetch $14,000. A nice picture will make everyone droll . Phill
580d/e Hi, My organization recently purchased an '81 580D. However, this backhoe has been remotored with a Cummins 4-390 engine, and re-lettered as a 580E. I have a manual for a 580D, but of course it covers the Case 207 engine. Anyone know where I can find a spec sheet that covers the proper fluids, filters, ect., for the Cummins engine? The backhoe runs great but we want to do a complete service on it. Thanks, Andrew Durden Southeastern Railway Museum Duluth, GA