Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K 4wd rear tire size help

Reagan · 2025-12-17 23:00

Hi, new this forum. I have an 1989 580K 4wd that is due for tires. It currently has 12-16.5s in front and 17.5L-24s in the rear. I do get some drivetrain bind in 4wd, though it does not seem excessive. Everything i've read indicates it could have had either 17.5 or 19.5 in the rear regardless 2 or 4 wheel drive. The serial number (JJG0018854) is not in the Case system anymore per my dealer so that is not an option. There is about a 9" difference in diameter between the two sizes. The only idea I have is to compare the front and rear rolling ratios to the two option's rolling circumferences. Does anyone have and easier way, or know which tire size is correct?

Replies4
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-12-18 02:02

    9" difference in diameter seems like way too much. I'd think a Case dealer should be able to find out the recomended tire size and diameter. Somebody must have an owners manual.

  2. #2smifwal2025-12-18 05:59

    TractorData.com J.I. Case 580K backhoe-loader tractor information www.tractordata.com

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-12-18 07:33

    My Case 580 SE has 12-16.5 front and 17.5L-24 rear 4whl drive I was under the assumption that 580K’s had 19.5L’s in the rear. The 4 wheel drive bind very well could be a bad U-joint up front. I went through some binding last winter and a new inner and outer U-joint fixed it.

  4. #4Tinkerer2025-12-18 21:26

    From the OEM Case 580K introduction brochure.