Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K backhoe moves to right

grapeman ยท 2021-09-08 16:54

I have a 580K. Just got it and am fixing it up. The backhoe was working fine. The main cylinder (ram) that raises and lowers the hoe blew a seal on the ram. I had cylinder resealed. Works great now.....except, now the hoe sweeps to the right side. That is, if I am sitting hoe, the boom slowly moves over to the right until it can go no further. It never did this before I rebuild he main cylinder Im thinking that now the cylinder in no longer leaking, that perhaps the system now has more pressure and perhaps is causing a valve to leak that is allowing the boom to swing to the right. Am I in the right direction? Any thoughts?

Replies3
  1. #1skyking12021-09-08 17:19

    no you're not on the right direction. there's usually a couple of causes when you have that behavior. it is either something physically jammed in down there just enough to give it a slight bias, or it's a piece of junk from the job you just did holding the valve open.

  2. #2gggraham2021-09-09 12:41

    There is a timing cam on the hoe with a rod to the swing sequence valve, likely a worn cam or a misadjusted rod.

  3. #3gggraham2021-09-09 12:48

    Quite often the cam bearing follower is seized and flat on one side so the rod is not centered properly and will drift. If rod is adjusted too long or too short it will drift left or right. If you are going to adjust this DO NOT stand in the swing area with machine running it is under tension if it slips the machine will swing rapidly and usually in your direction.