Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K Brakes loosing fluid

dgb · 2024-06-08 10:06

Hello, I recently rebuilt the Masters on a 1991 580K III and now the reservoir empties within hours without even running the machine. There is no sign of leaks on the ground etc.. Before the rebuild the reservoir would keep fluid Until I used the machine for a few hours and then fluid would drain onto the floor. I checked the level in the transaxle and it is over full about an inch on the dipstick so I'm thinking this has been draining into there for some time. I plan on draining the transaxle, about 5gal., but can someone tell me what, and basically how, needs fixing so the TCH brake fluid will not drain into it again? I got the machine last fall and the brakes were bad then, I assume someone must have used Brake Fluid instead of TCH.

Replies12
  1. #1580bob2024-06-08 10:40

    if this has the new style you will have to pull the transaxle and redo the brakes there are probably locating tangs broken off the brake pistons you can tell what style of transaxle by where the shifter is if its in the dash then its the newer one

  2. #2dgb2024-06-08 11:21

    Thanks

  3. #3dgb2024-06-08 21:47

    Bob, so you’re thinking the location tabs on the piston are misaligned and fluid can then get by the O-rings? Wondering if I screwed up the rebuild of the master cylinders? Why would the oil readily drain into the transAxle?

  4. #4580bob2024-06-09 01:09

    tabs on #4 break loose then piston rotates then chews seals and possibly housing rebuilding master cyl didnt cause this

  5. #5dgb2024-06-09 19:05

    Wondering if the master cylinder reservoir should just drain out without stepping on the pedal or using the machine at all? It didn’t before I rebuilt them but then it leaked on the floor. Filled it up at 7 AM this morning and by noon it was empty.

  6. #6dgb2024-06-09 19:11

    Something else must be going on too, I think. The dipstick was good shortly after I first got it last fall and now it is about 2 inches over full. I’ve added to the brake reservoir every time I used it, which was quite a lot but 6 ounces at a time, and most of it ended up on the floor, it just don’t seem like that much could’ve went into the trans. Axle

  7. #7dgb2024-06-09 19:22

    I made a mark on the dipstick this morning too, and it did not change the amount on it.

  8. #8dgb2024-06-10 10:58

    It’s a 5-6 gallon closed system unless brake fluid is getting in correct? Between the add and the full mark on the dipstick must be at least 2 quarts??

  9. #9alrman2024-06-10 18:20

    There is always the possibility that the transaxle was simply overfilled at some time. The level will drop when the engine is started - if checked straight after shut down it will read differently. It would take many, many reservoir fluid refills to raise the transaxle oil level that much! If the oil is disappearing from the master cylinders reservoir, & not seen leaking externally anywhere - the brake piston seals are the problem. You did install the steel ball (valve) in it's correct location during the rebuild? It's not uncommon for the reservoir to drain while just standing. Perhaps just cleaning out the black glug in the master cylinders when rebuilt, just allowed the new oil to drain more freely.

  10. #10dgb2024-06-11 10:04

    I checked the oil level last fall after reading info about it on here and it was where it should be on the dipstick. I got the operators manual later. I guess it’s possible though the machine was running or the oil was hot, I don’t remember. I’ll get 5 gallons of high Tran and change it out. I had step-by-step instructions I followed to rebuild the masters and yes, I did drop in that steel ball on both and torqued the nut to 32 pounds. They were relatively clean though and that is for the crossover tube to equalize pressure to both brakes, I guess. The end port has the check valve seal which I wonder if they are working correctly. It will be interesting to change the oil and then see how much of a difference there is on the dipstick checking it when the motor is running or the oil is hot. Thanks A-Man I have learned a lot from your posts and others on here.

  11. #11dgb2024-06-11 15:57

    As for the brake fluid loss, I’ll Look at it more closely. I have part of the floor removed and can see the brake lines are wet. So thinking and hoping 6 to 8 ounces of fluid could spread out and not show much of a leak on the ground.

  12. #12dgb2024-06-13 20:03

    pulled the screen on the transaxle, which looked to be the first time ever done because of paint on the threads, etc., and it had some debris on it and also what I cleaned out inside. Drained over 13 gallons out of it and it should’ve been 11.25, which I put in. Filled the brakes 2x And then worked it moving dirt for about an hour. Master was down to about 1/3 when parked and then later it was empty again. The brakes worked great while working. The debris was mostly metal chips, but had some fibrous gasket type stuff. Looks like a break job is in the future.