Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K Case

Justin Maxey · 2018-06-30 19:43

I parked my 580 after about a hour of moderate work. I went back and tried to restart it but it barely would turn over. First thought was the battery. Took to have it tested and the tech said he thought a cell might be bad but the test wasn’t 100% definitive according to the tech. So I bought a new one and replaced it. Same issue. Next thought it might be a bad starter. Different tech same answer. Replaced the old starter and got the same results. -Teeth on the flywheel appeared to be ok. So I try turning the engine over by hand. It was tight and hard to do but doable. It did have a some tight spots, but it turns completely. I pulled the accessory belt in case it was something on that end locked up. I also ran a Hotwire to make sure it wasn’t bad cables. Same results. Slow/struggling to turn. Any ideas???

Replies12
  1. #1Billrog2018-06-30 21:41

    Give all your controls a wiggle to make sure their centered ? Just a wild suggestion. Give it a boost as well and if it starts my guess would be a bad ground or cable connection.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2018-07-01 07:21

    Yup, my thoughts too Bill.. 90% of the slow start problems A are the cables, B is the battery or C the starter itself. That "ground cable" is a real pain to keep tight & grounded.. IF you have the room, run it to the engine block, not the frame & USE LOCK WASHERS.

  3. #3Justin Maxey2018-07-01 11:57

    New cables, new battery and new starter. Using Lock washers, sand down ground location’s (including the block), pulled the accessory belt, worked every conceivable control on it, turned the engine over by hand, pushed , pulled. Etc, etc, etc.... I know I’m missing something but it’s gonna drive me nuts first. Starter engages and barely turns over.

  4. #4catskinner 102018-07-01 12:31

    Does it by any chance have a Aux Hyd. switch or sometimes a floor mounted pedal switch for a breaker attachment? I have seen those switches get stuck caused a oil dead head cond. If Not you better start looking at your engine oil for lack of, or contamination. Tom

  5. #5Tenwheeler2018-07-01 12:38

    Maybe connect a test light from the positive post on the battery, not the connector, to the threaded post on the starter solenoid. May need some extra hands and a jumper wire. If the light lights while cranking you have a bad connection on that circuit. Light should have a light bulb not new electronic deal. Then try the same thing ground post to starter housing. I cannot hardly see that being a problem with whats been done but check simple stuff first. It's not in gear and safety switch is bad? It would probably start anyway. Engine problem? Hydraulic pump?

  6. #6Justin Maxey2018-07-01 16:06

    No switches or anything that I am aware of. Oil was changed a few months ago. It’s clean, full and filled to where I left it.

  7. #7Tinkerer2018-07-01 17:10

    Split the hydraulic pump coupler. Then try the starter. I am thinking the hydraulic pump has a problem.

  8. #8alrman2018-07-01 18:24

    That video is showing electrical problems. Connect a good jump start pack directly to the starter motor. Try starting with the key, if that doesn't work, BE CERTAIN MACHINE IS IN NEUTRAL, & short the terminals at the starter. There is a heavy duty power feed relay - below the fuse box near the floor. You need to raise the plastic dash paneling to gain access. Starter relay is located under the fuel filler / bonnet release flap. There should be two relays on the RHS of the machine. One is Starter, I think the other is bucket levelling.....don't quote me on that...

  9. #9catskinner 102018-07-01 19:00

    Yup,I agree,after watching his video. It has an electrical problem. Either the relay or ground. Tom

  10. #10Tinkerer2018-07-01 21:36

    I watched his video again and agree it is electrical. I noticed he said "So I try turning the engine over by hand. It was tight and hard to do but doable. It did have a some tight spots, but it turns completely." That is why I first thought it may be the pump.

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2018-07-01 22:15

    I know you said you checked the ground but you should double check it again. Also make sure your cable is good.

  12. #12Justin Maxey2018-07-02 23:10

    Took the NEW starter back and changed it out. Started right up. Thanks for the help.