Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K case boom piston relief valve installation

BTS1701 · 2023-03-22 13:31

Hello, I am new to this forum and I hope someone can assist me with this situation. I have a Case 580K extendahoe back hoe where I am replacing hoses and seals in leaking hydraulic cylinders. So far I have been successful with the stabilizer cylinder and extendahoe cylinder/hoses. My problem is with the boom cylinder. Once apart, I observed the boom piston has a relief value. How do I reinstall the boom cylinder piston onto the rod? Do I have to remove the relief value to get it back onto the rod? How do I remove the relive valve if that is required? Need thread direction if different. I have pictures showing my concern. I am confident that someone has also experienced this situation whereby any information and guidance would be most appreciated. Thank you

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2023-03-22 20:01

    Congratulations on your first post @BTS1701 There is no need to remove the relief valve. The side of the piston shown in the "boom piston bolt side" (smaller ID & same diameter as rod) will face away from you as you place the piston on the cylinder rod. The piston retaining bolt & washer will fit inside the bigger recess of the piston. I must say that piston & relief look very different to any that I have seen before & even from what is shown in any parts book for a 580K.

  2. #2BTS17012023-03-22 21:35

    Hello ALRMAN, Thank you for your response and your detailed explanation, description, & picture. I must apologize to you and the forum because I erroneously mislabeled the pictures and failed to recognize that what you described is absolutely correct. In my haste to extract the piston bolt for this cylinder rod I failed to observe that the relief valve spring was clearly in the bolt recess area. Another indicator that I totally missed was the piston recess diameter differences. Clearly, I believed there was a problem. Thank you for your expertise, time, and consideration for describing and solving my oversight. This “spot of bother” has been solved! No additional responses are required.